Status: working on it...

Roman.

Ch. 6: Welcome To The Clubhouse

Approaching the bus stop, he thought back over this last week and the bizarre dream that he had this morning. Everything in this town was so weird, but so familiar at the same time.
He looked around and saw headlights approaching in the fog, he figured that it was his bus so he fixed the straps on his backpack and waited patiently.
Although when the vehicle approached, it wasn't the bus at all.
It was Ethan Hawkins in his truck with a smile on his face, "Hop in, I'll take you to school."
Roman thought about this for a second, then he shrugged and walked over to the vehicle.
Once settled inside with his seat belt in tack, Ethan started the truck and started on his way.
"So, what's up with you? Why do you seem so down about things, Ethan?"
Ethan now had a smile on his face that could be mistaken for a scowl, "Because, when you've been through what I've been through then you don't always have a sunny outlook on things." He looked over to Roman with a strange longing in his eyes, "You have no idea how it feels to have something so close to you, but you can never get it because ultimately its not yours to take..."
That statement was hardly true, Roman wanted a lot of things that he would never get. A father who cared that was there for him. A family that didn't seem like it was breaking apart. For this empty feeling in his heart to go away, he wanted a lot of things.
"Well, I'm sorry Ethan... I wish I could help."
He smirked and took a left turn at the street ahead, "Ya know, you remind me a lot of an old friend of mine. Innocent, caring, had an optimistic look on life... I had a crush on him too, but he would never give me the time of day."
Roman smirked, "Well, maybe he was playing hard to get."
Then the words sunk in to what Ethan had just told him. Ethan had a crush on him? On Roman?
Ethan laughed, "Ya know, he used to say the same thing. 'Maybe I'm just playing hard to get... Because I'm too hard to get to.' He was always so busy focusing on his future that he never really paid any attention to the present."
Roman looked out the window, "Wow, you really had it bad for this guy, huh?"
Ethan nodded, "He was the only other guy that caught my attention within the first meeting. His sassiness, and that walk, and the way he never let anyone walk over him."
Roman smiled as he recalled the first day that he met Ethan, the guy did sound a lot like him.
Then he noticed a wrong turn, "Ethan, the school is the other way."
He smirked, "I know, the gang wants to meet up at our spot. Don't worry, Sutton already told the Vice Principal that we had some outside activities to work on during school hours and that you were helping."
He took another turn and suddenly the area went from houses and buildings to trees, trees, and more trees.
"Now you can't tell anyone about this spot. Only we know where it is, and it will remain a secret."
Roman nodded and looked ahead to see where they were going.
About fifteen minutes later they pulled up to a clearing with an old shack in the middle.
"Welcome to The Clubhouse."