‹ Prequel: Running With Lions

Marching On

Chapter 12

Temperance stood at the bottom of Fredensborg's main staircase, hand gripping the polished wood of the banister. A warm breeze came from the open windows, telling her that spring had finally come.

Her thoughts were in many places today. Namely with her husband who lay sick in bed from today's chemotherapy unable to see their children depart for London.

Benjamin and Alexander were going to celebrate William's stag party and Lavinia was attending Kate's hen party.

"Good afternoon, darlings," she called out when her sons rushed down the stairs, each of them carrying a small suitcase. They looked gleeful.

"Hello!" Ben greeted. Temperance could tell millions of thoughts were running through his head. Thoughts that she did not ever want to know.

"Hey, Mum," Alex said, grinning.

Temperance smiled. "Where is your sister?" she asked.

Ben shrugged, always the most carefree of the three. "I'm sure she'll be down soon."

"Here I come," Lavin's voice sounded from the landing of the second floor.

Temperance watched as Lavin descended, sure-footed in a pair of aquamarine flats. She wore an old pair of jeans and an over-sized sweater. Temperance knew this to be her usual travel attire.

"You look comfy," Temperance commented.

"I am," she answered, making quick eye contact and flashing a smile.

Temperance's own smile wavered. Lavin hadn't been very warm to her, her father, or her grandparents since their meeting in the study. Although it was an improvement to when she locked herself away in the manor she was given when she was born, deep in the southern countryside of Denmark, for a week.

"Are you happy to be going?" she asked Lavin.

"Yes. You know how much I love London."

"Yes." Temperance nodded, hands clasped her hands under her chin. "I know." She sighed inaudibly, not liking this chilled version of her daughter. "The car is waiting out front."

Ben and Alex were the first ones out the door. Lavin lagged behind and just before she was about to follow her brothers she turned around.

Temperance noted that Lavin's face was no longer that of cool
steel. Her brow winkled and her lip seemed to quiver.

"Are you sure Dad doesn't mind that we're going?" Lavin asked.

There was a catch in Temperance's throat and she quickly blinked away sudden tears. She shook her head vigorously. "No, my love. He's thrilled that you three are going. Please, have fun for the both of us."

Lavin smiled. She looked as if the weight of the world had just dropped from her shoulders. Temperance moved closer for a hug but Lavin turned on her heel and left through the door.

Temperance choked out a sob, covering her mouth. Her eyes closed as she restrained her tears. She may have taken the weight of the world off her Lavin's shoulders for only a weekend but she still had her own cross to bear.
_____

"What kept you?" Alex asked when Lavin took a seat in the car.

"I thought I forgot my phone," she replied, slipping on her old Ray-Bans. Twice Lavin palmed the screen that separated them from their chauffeur. "Lets get out of here, Theo!"

Lavin exhaled, relaxing to the buttery leather seat. The farther away she was from the palace the better she felt and they had only just turned out of the driveway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken so long to update!

It's been a week since I've graduated from college and I am sad to say that I still do not have enough time as I would like to write with work and other nonsense. But I do plan to get these chapters going out at a continual pace once I adapt to my new 6AM wake up calls :[

Hope you enjoy this chapter; it is really the beginning of the the excitement (or at least I hope it turns out that way--that's how I envision it to be anyway).

Your thoughts are appreciated.