If We Can't Break The Silence, How Can We Survive?

The Echoes Of My Voice, Follow Me Down

Gerard’s P.O.V.

I was sitting in my chemistry class next to my friend Vic. Well, I didn't really consider her a friend, but we hanged out a lot with the same people, so I guess you could call us associates.

She was brushing her fingers all over my thighs and was way too close. She flirted with me all the time and it always made me uncomfortable. She had told almost everyone that she wants to have sex with me. I know this because so many people have came up to me and told me, some trying to get me to do it. I wasn't interested in her at all though. And I didn't want to have sex with her for three reasons; one, she has sex with my best friend Paul all the time. How weird is it to share the same girl with your best friend? Two, she was a big fat slut. That wasn't attractive at all. And three, which was most important, I was still a virgin, and I didn't want to lose it to someone like her.

I was in my senior year which was, according to everyone, the dead line. Dead line for what, you're wondering? The dead line to lose your virginity, duh.

How embarrassing was it that the most popular guy in school was still a virgin? I know it's pretty cocky to call myself popular, but I'm trying to get my point across.

Everyone knew it too, that I was a virgin and all. How, I don't know. I'm thinking Paul told someone and that someone told someone and so on and so on because he was the only person that knew. Ever since the word had gotten out, so many girls have tried to sleep with me. I turned them all down of course. I just wasn't ready. Well, at least that's what I think it is.

But people were starting to talk. They were confused as to why I was turning down all these hot girls. What kind of guy does that? No guy.

All the guys on the team would tease me and call me names. It always ticked me off because it was already getting fucking old and they needed to back off. I didn't know why it was so important to them. It's not like me fucking girls would impact their lives or anything.

But I was getting tired of all the shit and decided that maybe I was going to take the next offer, as long as it wasn't Vic. She just made my skin crawl.

I lost my train of thought when I heard the teacher announce a project being assigned. God I hated these.

“We will be doing a lab project that’s going to be counted as a major grade. I have already assigned ya’ll partners so please do not ask me if you can pick your own,” said Mrs. Carter.

Well at least I didn't have to do it all by myself.

“Frank Iero and Gerard Way.”

Who the hell was Frank? I scanned across the room looking for someone that might have been a Frank. I knew everyone in this class so I was kind of confused. Then I spotted someone sitting alone at a table on the other side of the room. Oh yeah, he was that deaf-mute kid that was living with Liz. She would always talk about how she hated him and stuff.

I walked towards him and he wasn’t even looking at me. Maybe he didn’t know that we were partners. I sat next to him and stirred around a bit to face him. He finally acknowledged me and just looked at me with no expression. This was kind of weird.

“Umm…hey…,” I said awkwardly as I extended my hand out to shake his. He looked at me for a while before shaking my hand.

I had never seen his face properly or like, at all. He almost always had his hood on and I never really looked at him. Only when Liz would bring him up. He just wasn't someone that caught your eye. But since he was right here in front of me, I took the time to look at him. He had a face that kind of reminded me of a puppy. I know that sounds bad, comparing him to an animal and all, but he really did. I mean, he didn't look like a dog but his face just looked so innocent and kind of vulnerable. Like he had been through some emotional shit or something. You could tell he wasn't very comfortable in his own skin because he had bangs that kind of covered his face. Confident people never hid their face. His eyes glistened, which was probably why I thought he looked like a puppy. They were big and wide and he kind of looked scared. I mean, people that didn't have friends always seemed to be scared of other people. Shit, I was probably scaring him right now.

I cleared my throat as I felt something was stuck, then felt his hand tear away from mine. Wow I hadn't even noticed that we were still shaking hands. I then noticed that he was also staring at me. Did he notice that I was staring at him too? Oh god this was awkward.

I smiled at him and let out a soft chuckle trying to break the awkwardness.

“We’re partners," I said. He just nodded and we both turned our attention to the teacher who was explaining the instructions.

The bell rang and frank got up in a hurry before I could ask him about the project. He left the room and I just sighed to myself, gathering my shit and walking to my next class thinking about him on my way there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title: The Arms of Sorrow by Killswitch Engage