Dark Blue

Tell Me Where Our Time Went

Valentine

"Your brother looks different. The tour must have done him some good," I commented, slipping into shotgun. Sage raised her eyebrows, picking up the giant sunglasses she had just perched on her nose. She smirked, her lips forming an accusing smile.

"Valie, do you like my brother?" she screeched, and I blushed, quickly buckling my seat belt.

"No, I don't. Shut up, Sage," I mumbled, and her laugh rang out like bells. She plopped the sunglasses back in place and pulled her own seat belt into place before starting the engine.

"I'm just saying, you're almost nineteen, he's twenty-two. It's not really that weird. Totally legal by Arizona standards," she rambled, and I smacked her in the arm.

"Sage, just drop it," I begged exasperatedly. "I was just saying he looked different. He's been gone on tour for awhile, I was trying to make small talk. I really should've thought that idea through, though, after the time my small talk attempt turned into you explaining the mating rituals of gorillas. I swear, I don't know why I try with you."

"You know you love me," Sage beamed, starting the car.

"Yeah, I do," I admitted. "Don't know why."

"It's obviously my stunning looks and brilliant personality." We both laughed as she flipped her hair over her shoulder superficially.

"Oh, yeah, that's it," I chuckled sarcastically, digging through my purse for gum. Sage put the car in reverse and pulled out of the driveway. Once she was situated, I handed her a piece before unwrapping my own and popping it into my mouth.

"Look, I'm just saying, that hypothetically if you did, I'd still love you anyway," Sage explained, looking at me from the corner of her eye and chewing her gum loudly. She was always awful with that.

"It wouldn't bug you?" I asked, a bit shocked. Sage shrugged, pulling up to a stop sign.

"Well, I mean, I've always known you're completely delusional, which is why it's understandable that you'd like my lame older brother in the first place," she teased, her permanent smile growing larger.

"Hey, I didn't say I did. We were talking hypothetically here crazy lady!"

"Yeah, yeah," she waved off, taking a left turn toward the main road. "I mean, Val, you're my best friend, and my sister, even though it's not biological. Which is good, because then, you know, that whole you and Garrett thing would be totally illegal. Incest is frowned upon in Arizona, ya know."

"Oh, hon, and you were doing so well! I thought you might actually make your way to your first serious conversation," I joked, and she reached over to flick me.

I gasped and crossed my arms, pretending to be angry. But we both knew I could never honestly be mad at her, and vice versa. Sage chuckled at my pouting, checking her blind spot as she switched lanes.

"My point was, you're family and I love you. I want what's best for you, and for you to be happy. And if hypothetically speaking my goofball brother could make you that, well, then I'm all for it, no matter how weird I think it is."

Sage popped her gum and I was quiet for a moment, fumbling with the air conditioner. "Thanks Sage. It's good to know I'll always have you on my side."

"Hey, I got your back, girl. From now to eternity."

She finally pulled off the exit to the movie and parked like a pro. It was silent for a few moments as she shoved her sunglasses into her purse, and her deep blue eyes examined my face, scrutinizing every detail.

"Okay girlie, enough with the heavy. Let's go see Channing Tatum shirtless," She declared, opening her door.

"Hell yes!" I exclaimed, following her to the ticket booth.

~*~

"Oh my gosh," I squealed, crawling back into shotgun. The sky was just beginning to turn beautiful shades of tangerine, rose, and lavender, and I swear, it was one of my favorite parts of summer.

Sage giggled, slamming her own door shut and struggled with the ignition. We gasped for air and finally calmed down. Then, we looked at each other with massive grins and the whole sequence started over.

"Definitely worth eight bucks. In fact, if I had known you were going to run into that great looking guy and then continue to 'accidentally' dump popcorn all over him, I would've paid fifty," Sage choked out, the words mangled with her hysterical laugh.

I wrestled with my seat belt as Sage banged her head against the steering wheel, trying and failing to settle down. Gosh, it was getting hard to breathe, but it was worth it.

"Oh my god, shut up! It was an accident! Not to mention so embarrassing." I took a few steadying breaths, and Sage did the same.

"But hilarious! That movie was just..."

"Amazing. God, we're such saps."

"But still. Great movie. And you, great klutz, love."

Sage finally had regained enough control to strap her seat belt. She switched to drive and started to navigate the crazy parking lot traffic. I took in a few more breaths, pulling my feet under me on the seat. My eyes zoomed in on the skyline as it softened in the growing darkness. A cool breeze from my open window picked up my hair and tickled my cheek.

Sage came to a stop at a red light, pushing the hair out of her face. She was still grinning, even against her best effort to look serious. Soon enough, the light switched to the florescent green, and she slowly regained speed.

"You know, I don't even think the guy noticed I got popcorn down his shirt. He was too busy drooling over you in all your gorgeousness. What did he say his name was again?" I retorted.

I glanced up to see her response, but it never came. Her lips had parted to answer, ready to go into full denial mode, but I never got to hear her defense. Instead, I saw the blinding white headlights of another car coming across the intersection.

Right at us.

I heard a deafening scream, and subconsciously I must have known it was coming from my own throat. Sage's smile quickly dissipated as she realized what was happening, her coppery hair flying as her head turned from the window back to me.

Things seemed to slow down, just like they say they do. I saw it all. The headlights rushing forward before making impact on Sage's side with a sickening crunch. The glass from the windows cracking and bursting through, slicing against my skin, as well as Sage's beautiful, horror-stricken face.

But that wasn't all I saw.

I saw myself as a child, on my birthdays, surrounded by my family and Sage by my side. I saw Sage and me sunbathing on the roof right outside my bedroom window, talking about boys and school and life and everything that popped into our minds. I saw bits and pieces and memories I had long forgotten about with people I knew I'd never forget. And in a little area in my mind, I wondered if Sage was seeing the same things.

The last thing I saw was my vision clouded red and the past few hours, flashing right before me. Gone.

It was the last thing I saw before my head cracked against something solid, hard, and unforgiving, and everything faded away to black, just like the end of the movie we had just watched. Fade to black, the end.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, from here, the chapters are gonna get longer, I promise, but this one had to end off here for reasons you will all discover eventually (:

So, I'd like to thank drivingbackwards and RoRo15 for their comments and obvious faith in me, even though this is just starting. I really appreciate it (:

Lemme know what you guys like/dislike, any thoughts, predictions, or anything. I'm so excited, and I'd love to know how you guys are feelin about this. <3

xxxo, Sara