Waters of Disillusion

Progress was a labyrinth.

"Nicolette? What kinda name is that?" he said it like you would have said dung or pus. With a slight sneer and emphasis on the -lette.

Even at four years old, I'd heard this story enough to last a lifetime. "My pa wanted to name me Colette Jo, and my ma wanted to name me Nicole June. Mamma says it's the prettiest name she ever done heard."

"It's mighty dumb, if you ask me."

"Well you're might dumb, you dumb boy!" after making fun of my pretty blue dress, my red hair, and now my name, this- this boy snapped something in me. Ma always did say I had my daddy's temper. And so I pounced on him. I'm not sure how, but my small fists managed to split his lip and give him a black eye. Boy, was he shocked! But he didn't cry. That's the thing I remember most. His eyes shone with astonishment, but he didn't cry or even hit me back. He just took the beating from a girl.

Joey Walls had to pry me off him. "You're crazy, Nicolette Leigh! Plain ol' crazy!"

"Oh, shut your trap, Joey! I ain't a-scared of you too, if that's what you're askin.'" Joey Walls shook his head, grabbed his twin sister's hand, and walked away. The funny thing is, we actually became friends. Well, I was friends with Lucy Anne Walls first, and then Joey somehow grew on me.

Tyler sat up and looked dazed still, but held a finger against his now bloody lip. "You hit me..." his voice was much softer and I almost didn't even hear him. Quick as a flash he sprung up, kissed my cheek-to which grossed me the Sam Hell out- and grinned a sly, boyish grin. "We're gon' get married, Nicolette Leigh. Just you wait!"

To this day, he swears it was love at first shiner.
♠ ♠ ♠
the epitome of cliche. ha.