This Isn't How it's Going to Go Down. Right?

The beginning

We made eye contact and I quickly looked away. I can't look into his eyes. My friends always tell me that my eyes are like an open book.

"-You will be making a movie, describing your partner. What you originally thought of them and how your thoughts changed over time. Your movie must show how well you know them."

I sighed. Oh boy.

"I suggest recording all of your meetings. It will help with footage for your movie. You are allowed to use the same footage in both videos but they cannot be the same movie all together. John is passing around the rubric now."

After about 20 more minutes of her explaining the project she told us to get with our partner and plan times that were good for both of us.

Aiden walked over to me. Here goes nothing.

He held out his hand. "Aiden Russell."

I shook it quickly. "Serenity Sanders." I have to keep this short.

"When are you free?" His tone made me angry. He doesn't care. All that matters to him is himself.

I snapped out of my anger filled trance and registered the question he was asking. Let's see, my dad works late on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays...

"Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. After school until 7:00. A good four hours. Does that work for you?"

"I guess."

"Good." The bell rang, only 2 more periods to go. Great.

I gathered my stuff and was about to walk out when a hand caught my arm. I flinched. New bruise.

He noticed and looked down at his hand, removing it slowly. "Uh... Do you want me to just drive you home? Since today is Monday..."

I froze. A car ride with Aiden Russell. Well, fuck. I have no other option, do I?

"That sounds fine."

"Meet me by the front doors."

Without another word he walked out of the room and went off to wherever his next period was.

I let out the breath I had been holding. "She just had to partner me with him. Didn't she?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The bell rang signaling the end of the day. I met with Christina, Justin, and Izzy outside.

Justin gave me a huge bear hug even though he had just seen me in 5th period. He hit one of my bruises and I flinched a bit but hugged him back nonetheless. Justin gives the best hugs known to man. I swear, they can cheer anyone up. Next, Izzy gave me a gentle hug, having seen me flinch. I smiled gratefully at her.

"You walking home with us?" Christina asked curiously. She was bouncing a bit. Yup, she had Monster.

"Who gave you Monster? And no. Aiden Russell is driving me home."

They all stopped dead.

"WHAT?!"

"We were paired up for a project. I'll tell you more later. I am supposed to meet him at the front of the school. Bye!"

They all responded with their goodbyes and I started heading towards the doors. There he was. The devil himself.

I realize it seems like I hate him for no reason but the truth is, I don't hate him. No, that's a lie. I hate him.

We walked over to his car silently and I got in the passenger seat. He turned it on and we were off. He's not a bad driver. Surprisingly.

"I have to drop off something at Caleb's house real quick. You know him, right?"

"Know him? He nearly blew me up today. Well... WE nearly blew up the CLASS. But that's besides the point."
He chuckled. Oh how cute. He thought I was joking.

He pulled up to a house- scratch that- mansion and there was Caleb. Standing at the end of the driveway. Aiden pulled up next to him and reached into the back for a sports bag of some sort. He handed it to Caleb through the window.

"Thanks man. I owe you." Caleb said, relief present in his voice.

Seems this kid owes a lot of people. He noticed me in the car and his face lit up.

"Hey! Did you get the stuff out of your hair??"

I half smiled. "Most of it. I wonder how Mr. Thompson is going to get it off the ceiling..."
Aiden looked utterly perplexed. "Wait, you're telling me, you guys ACTUALLY almost blew up the class??"

"Yup." "You know it."

"Oh my god. You two are insane."

"Yup." "You know it."

"Well I got to get going man. Take care." Caleb said patting the car. He started up the driveway and I noticed blue stuff on the back of his head. I started laughing softly. He probably won't even notice until someone points it out.

Aiden looked at me and I covered my mouth with my hand.

"Why do you do that?" He asked curiously, starting the car again.

"Do what?"

"Cover your smile."

"I don't know. Force of habit, I suppose." I said, confused.

"You shouldn't."
. . .
. . .
. . .

This kid is weird.

We arrived at my house and I led him up to my room. He sat at my desk as I rummaged
around for my camera.

"Ah-hah! Found it!"

"Congratulations." He said, sounding bored.

I gave him a sarcastic "ha-ha" and a "you annoy me" look. He looked shocked.

I ignored him and set up the camera. I turned it on and sat on my bed.

After a few moments of silence he decided to break it.

"What do we do? 20 questions or some shit like that?"

"Yeah, you first."

"What's your favorite color?"

"Electric blue. What's your most prized possession?" I asked.

He pulled out a necklace with a dog tag on it. I reached out, looking at him for permission.
He nodded and I began to read the writing engraved on it:

"Sarah Russell
2002-2008
Beloved daughter, sister, and friend
Always to be remembered"

On the back it had a picture of a little girl with no hair in a hospital bed. She was obviously on her death bed but she still had a certain glow in her eyes. She was truly beautiful.

I didn't realize I had said the last part out loud. He looked at me. "Thank you." He said softly.

I snapped out of my trance. "Your turn." I said, leaning against my headboard. Wait, when did he get on the bed...? Oh well.

"Why did you look like you were in pain when I grabbed your arm earlier?"

I froze. Think think think. "I have a bruise." Smooth.

"From what?"

"It's my turn. Was that girl your sister?"

"Yes. From what?" He repeated his question.

"Uh... I ran into a wall. Turned a corner too quickly." I said, laughing nervously. Jesus, I am awkward.

He looked me in the eye. He didn't believe me. I could tell. I changed the subject just as he was about to say something.

"What time is it?" I said, getting up and looking for my phone.

"7:13." He said.

"Are you serious?! Oh shit. Ohshitohshitohshit. I still have to make dinner!"

"Wait, what? What is going on?" He asked, alarmed.

I continued to ramble on.

He got up and grabbed my wrists. I cringed in pain and fright. That bruise was still fresh.

He noticed and rolled up my sleeve quickly. His eyes widened at the sight. "What the fuck?!

What the are all of these bruises?!"

"I'm really clumsy. It doesn't matter! You have to go! Now-" The door slammed shut. My heart froze in my chest. I'm dead. "Get under the bed. Now. Be quiet and don't come out no matter what." I whispered.

He looked skeptical but did as I said.

My door banged open. My father walked in. He was holding a beer and he looked angry. What's new?

"Whose car is in our driveway?" He slurred.

"I'm not sure. I think it's the neighbor's."

"Where is my dinner?"

"I haven't gotten to i-" SLAP! I went down. My cheek burned.

"You stupid bitch. You can't even fucking make me my dinner?! I work all day so your dumb ass can have a roof over your head and you can't even fucking MAKE ME DINNER?!"
He kicked me. Once. Twice. Three times. I was coughing. He left me to my coughing fit and stormed out of the room. Slamming his beer bottle against something on the way out. I got up shakily.

"You can come out now." I said getting up and locking the door. I then went over to my window. I opened it, thanking God that I was on the first floor.

I turned around and he stood there. Still as stone. His eyes were ablaze with anger.

"What the FUCK was that?!?!" I flinched and cowered into a corner. His eyes softened. "Hey,
I'm sorry... I didn't mean to scare you..." He reached towards me.

Serenity, get a hold of yourself!

"I'm fine. You need to go before he comes back. Give me your phone number and I will text you about the next meeting plans."

"What?? You expect me to just leave you here with that crazy fuck?!"

"Yup. Hurry! I'll get more hurt with you being here than if you left."

He sighed wrote down his number on a sticky note and climbed out the window. Before he walked to his car, he looked me in the eye and said seriously "You will call me if you ever need me. For anything. Promise?"

"Yeah sur-"

"No. Promise me."

I looked into his eyes. He wasn't joking.

"O-okay. I promise."

"Good." With that he ran to his car. Making sure my dad wasn't looking through windows.

I sighed and headed to the kitchen to make dinner. What just happened??
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please!
Critiques are welcome. Compliments are appreciated. Trolls are humored.
~AAA