Status: writing : )

Jealous Minds Think Alike

Bird's eye view

Chapter Four


Kalysta fussed with her hair as she frowned at the mirror. Normally, she rolled out of bed after being awoken by Josh jumping on the bed, showered, and then went to work. She didn’t bother with makeup or dressing up or even smoothing her hair down. This was different.

She eventually gave up and left the bathroom pouting. She found Dan sitting on the couch and easily fell beside him, heaving a giant sigh. Dan chuckled as he put an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side. “You okay, love? You sound like a mess of depressive nerves.”

“My nerves are going crazy.” She complained and closed her eyes as her head leaned against his shoulder. “I mean, I really don’t ever give a shit what people think about me. I didn’t even freak out when I meant you guys.”

Dan furrowed his eyebrows. “But?” He guessed and she scrunched her nose.

“But this is Josh’s sister! If she doesn’t like me, this whole good thing to just go down the shitter.”

He snorted. “The shitter?”

“It’s not funny, Dan. I can’t mess this up.” She crossed her arms and threw her head back dramatically.

“What exactly can’t you mess up?” He questioned curiously as she made another face.

“All of this.” She waved her arm around. “A place to stay, punks like you to hang out with,” she elbowed him to bring some laughter but then she went pale. “Oh god, what if she makes Josh hate me? That can happen, you know! I mean, she’s family. I’m just some girl he accidentally picked up and started living with. It would be so simple for her to make him hate me.” She started to go slightly hysterical.

Dan rubbed her arm to try and calm her. “That’s nonsense, Kalysta. You’re not just some bird Josh found on the street. You’ve been living together for almost a year, love. Sometimes I think he’s closer to being best mates with you than any of us. He’s not going to hate you, no matter what she says or how hard she tries.”

“How hard she tries?” Her green orbs widened in fear and Dan quickly noticed his mistake.

“No, Kalysta. That is not what I meant. I was just saying that there’s absolutely nothing in this world that could make Josh hate you. That is what I meant.”

“I think I’m more frightened now, Dan.”

He sighed but then nodded. “Yeah, I’m going to let Josh fix this one.”

“What?” She whined as he stood up, making her fall into the corner of the couch.

“Josh!” He yelled in response, taking the few strides around to the back of the couch. “Franceschi!”

“I’m right bloody here, mate.” Josh came from the kitchen, messing with his hair. His expression was slightly annoyed until his eyes landed on the girl trembling on the couch. “What the fuck did you do, Dan!” He shouted back as he rushed over to her, instantly pulling her into his arms.

Dan smirked. “I may have said something in the wrong words. Dunno really; it happened too fast.” He winked at Kalysta before pulling his keys from his pocket. “I’m going to head out. We still all going out to dinner with Elissa on Friday?”

“Yeah.” Josh called over his shoulder, more than a little distracted by the girl beside him who was still trembling. He ran his hands through her hair to try and relax her. “Do you want to talk about what happened?” He whispered the words. Anything louder would have been too harsh.

Kalysta blinked hard a few times as she pulled herself away from him. “I-I’m fine.” She pushed out, unable to let him see her being so weak.

“Kalysta.”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine, Joshua.” She huffed and pulled away from him completely, sitting back some. “I’m worried, okay?”

“Worried about what?” His voice almost squeaked.

She fidgeted and cleared her throat. “Just something stupid.” It was somewhat humorous that she could fall to pieces in front of Dan, but in front of Josh it was hard to let her tough bravado fade away.

“If you’re worrying about it, then it’s not stupid. You don’t exactly fret over broken nails, sweetheart.” He smirked slightly and the tension eased from her at the pet name.

“I’m scared of your sister.” She mumbled as she kept her eyes on the small couch space between them. She hurried the words out, wishing they would simply vanish into the air instead of drifting into his ears.

His mouth fell slightly open.

Just seeing that expression on him made her cheeks burn. “I mean, she is your sister and if she ends up hating me, then things could get awkward or worse,” she trailed off.

Josh attempted to recover quickly. “This is what you’re worried over?” She pouted and he realized how his words sounded to her. “Kalysta, my sister’s not going to hate you.” He spoke slowly and carefully, wording everything just right this time. “And things aren’t going to get awkward.” He straightened up and reached for her hands. “You’re important to me, as is my sister. I just want two of the most important girls in my life, to meet each other. Is that so bad?” He smiled slightly at her as he gave her hand a squeeze.

She tried not to grin. “What about your mum? Isn’t she important to you?” She muttered and he smirked.

“You can meet my mum next.” He winked at her and watched as her whole expression turned to one of horror. “I’m only teasing, Kalysta!”

“You’re not very funny.” She pulled her hands from his and gave him a slight shove. Her thoughts were eased some by his speech about being one of his favorite girls, but her worries were still valid. He could just as easily change his mind if his sister did end up hating her.

“Is that why you’re fighting a smile?” His smirk widened as the corners of her mouth twitched. She shoved him again, with more effort.

“Shut it, twat.” She couldn’t help but giggle though. “And help me find my shoes. I’m heading into work early so I get off in time to go pick Elissa up from the airport with you.”

“You lost your shoes, again?” He cracked up and moved out of the way just before she gave a not so soft punch to his arm. “How do you always lose them?”

“I don’t know!” She threw her hands up in response and joined his laughter with her own. “It is a bit ridiculous.”

“Just a bit.” He agreed and dashed off toward the bedroom to help search for her shoes. He was excited to have her going with him in the morning. The faster he got her shoes and sent her off, the faster she’d be home with him again.

Kalysta watched his back as he disappeared down the hall and bit her bottom lip. She forced the nerves out of her head and focused on him. She hadn’t admitted it to anyone truly out loud, but her whole life seemed to be wrapped up in him nowadays. He was more than just her roommate, of course, but at times he was even more than just her best friend. She couldn’t place a title to him that fully explained it, but she didn’t have to.

She knew and he knew and that was enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
xooxEmber.