Status: Still a work in progress.

Juvie in New Jersey

He's Lucky I Didn't Aim Lower

"Do you swear, on the Bible, to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?" the bailiff swore me in somberly.

Contrary to his straight face and deep, monotone voice, I was giggling uncontrollably. I couldn't contain the joy bubbling inside of me when I choked out, "Yeah, sure. Whatever."

They sighed, jury, judge, attorney, in unison, and I skipped my way into the witness stand. I looked over the jury, cowardly and deathly pale, that would decide my fate. I looked at my parents who, with a mix of disappointment and pride, were staring back at me, begging me to blame it on him. I looked at Johnathan, paralyzed for at least a year and scared out of his mind, and I smiled, giggling again.

"State your full name and age, please."

"Arniah Cherry Catoma. 16."

"Tell the jury what happened, please."

"One week ago, in the school hallway, I was at my locker. Johnathan threw a couple insults that I tried to ignore. He kept talking. I got mad."

"So you decided to-"

"Punch him twice in the face, slash his trash-talkin' mouth, and slam him into the lockers in such a way to break two of his vertebrae? Yes. Yes I did."

The judge scrutinized me a moment then motioned the questioner forward. She was prim and neat and professional, and I immediately hated her for it. She stood away from me. Smart girl. "So who started it?"

I looked at her like she was stupid, "He did."

"Who threw the first punch?"

"I did."

"Did you black out?"

I closed my eyes and smiled then looked at her again. I chuckled quietly before shaking my head.

"Answer the question, Miss Catoma. Were you-"

"No. I was fully aware of what I was doing. I knew when I heard breaking bones. I knew the color of blood. I knew every punch I threw."

"Then what do you have to say?"

"I regret nothing," I whispered slowly.

"Please speak up."

"I have no regrets. And-"

"And what, Arniah?"

"And he's lucky I didn't aim lower." The court gave a collective gasp and I heard a laugh bubble up. It was an eerie, bone-chilling laugh I hardly recognized as my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the chapters are really short, but I have it written in scenes more than chapters. To post it here, I'm doing each scene as a separate chapter.