Status: Active

Bunny

Prologue.

5 years ago

Bunny’s real name is Andrea, I was the only one allowed to call her bunny. The first time I met Bunny, we were forced to get to know each other. My mom was helping our new neighbor, Bunny’s mom, unpack the dozen of boxes sprawled around the house, and only because my mom knew what it was like to be a single mom. In the mean time, Bunny and I were pushed into the garden, together.

“Perfect opportunity for you two to get to know each other” my mom exclaimed before turning back into the house. We were 8 for Christ’s sake; boys and girls didn’t just get along. We continued to mind our own business, with our own toys, until I noticed the necklace hanging around her neck, the golden charm is what caught my eye the most, which shined against her peachy skin.

“My dad gave it to me” she softly said, her dark eyes looking up at me.

I frowned “Where is he?” I asked.

She sighed and reached out her hand to circle the golden bunny shaped charm around her fingers “Mom tells me he’s in heaven” I didn’t know what that really meant back then, she didn’t bother explaining either.

“So, will you ever get to see him again?”

She shrugged and turned back towards her dolls.

“So, kids, did you have fun?” Bunny’s mom asked, stepping out of the house and walking towards us, followed by my own.

“Bunny is real nice” I said, Bunny didn’t bother acknowledging anyone.

“Bunny?” Her mom asked confused.

“She also has her name on her necklace, just like me!” I said, grinning.

“But sweetie, her name isn’t bunny” My mom tried to explain, but I didn’t care, she was Bunny to me.

Since then I couldn’t get enough of Bunny, she fascinated me. Maybe because she acted more mature than most of the kids of our age or maybe because she never paid me any real attention, she just accepted the fact that I was always over. I just continued following her around like a puppy. She never visited me; I always went to her house.

She never liked the nickname ‘Bunny’, I knew that. But never bothered correcting me, just like she never bothered with anyone in secondary school; she always minded her own business. She only went to the playground when I dragged her to it.

When High School rolled around, she never really bothered making friends; she was always fine by herself, even if people wanted to sit with her, she ignored them until they gave up and walked away. Boys didn’t interest her as much as the books did either. She was always fine with having only one true friend, she always said when I questioned her and smiled at me. Even if she would never say it to me, I knew she meant me.

Sophomore year, on a Sunday, the 10th of February, was the first time Bunny ever knocked on my door.

“Bunny?”

I was shocked to not only see Bunny in front of my house, but Bunny crying, I have never seen her cry before and that pained me even more.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, grabbing her hand and pulling her body into mine.

“I-I-I miss him so much” She hiccupped, wrapping her arms around my long torso.

There was only one person that she could ever miss, and that was her dad. That’s when I realized that it was the day she lost her father, 7 years ago.

I sighed “Come in, I’ll get you some tea, you’re freezing”

She nodded and followed me in, never letting go of my hand. I walked over to the counter and put the kettle on.

I turned to her “Hey” I said, lifting her face up with my other hand “I’ll always be here, alright?” I said, brushing a golden strand of hair behind her ear.

She nodded “Thank you”

Ever since that day, we were inseparable and Bunny visited me more often than I visited her, which was a nice change after 7 years of me only coming around at hers. She helped me with my homework, I helped her with her guitar skills, while we both sung along to Elvis Presley, especially the song called ‘If I Can Dream’.

In junior year, that’s when my feelings for Bunny escalated to me falling in love with her. But I never planned on telling her, because I was perfectly happy with our friendship and it could never work. Bunny was also very different to me anyway; she didn’t like to break the rules, she didn’t go to parties, she didn’t drink or smoke, she was more focused on being an adult than being a teenager, and I enjoyed being a teenager.

Senior Year, Bunny fell in love herself. She couldn’t stop talking about him to me, because she didn’t have anyone else to gush to. But the only thing I really knew about him was that he was in college, had dark hair and dark eyes. Sounded like a creep to me, I always said, she would frown and stop talking about him. Why would I want to listen about how in love she was with another guy? She wasn’t supposed to fall in love, She was bunny!

On the day of graduation; I was woken up at 5am by my cell phone ringing on my bedside table.

I groaned, reaching for it, it was an unknown number.

“Hello”

“Harry” the familiar voice whispered.

“Bunny, it’s way too early, I know you’re excited to finally get out of-“

“I’m calling to say goodbye”

I sat up, frowning “What are you talking about?”

“I’m leaving, for good” She sighed

I rubbed my eyes “Where are you?”

“At Zach’s, we are leaving in 10 minutes”

“Bunny, you are not leaving”

“Yes, I am, Harry”

“NO! I’m not letting this dude take you away from me?!” I exclaimed, getting angry.

“Harry, please don’t make this any harder on me” She sighed.

“Where are you? I’m coming to pick you up” I stepped out of bed, searching for some clothes.

“Harry, stop it! You don’t know where I am”

“I’ll find a way”

“You are so stubborn” She groaned.

“You should’ve known before you decided to leave me”

“Harry, shut the fuck up and sit down!” She screeched, I huffed and placed my bum on the bed.

“But-“

“NO! Just hear me out”

“Okay” I whispered.

“I’m leaving with Zach, for good. I never liked being in Holmes Chapel and I will never like it, I hate it! I’ve never felt more good about leaving this place! I have to choose for myself, I want to be happy, the only thing that made me not kill myself from misery or run away was you, know that Harry. I love you and I will never forget you and try not to forget me, okay?” I could picture the ends of her lips turning at the last sentence.

“I could never forget about you” I whispered, the tears running down my face.

“Harry, please don’t “

“I can’t believe you’re saying goodbye over the phone” I said staring up at the ceiling, trying to stop the tears from running down.

“It was the only way, otherwise I would never be able to step away from you, You are my everything, Harry and I’m sorry if I never showed it, You are the best, even if it is the only, friend I could ever wish for” I could hear her taking a shaky breath, it was hard on her too.

“Why can’t you wait until after graduation?”

“Because Zach said that it was the only way we could get away unnoticed, if we went at the end of the day, there will be too much people around and my mom would never let me go, even If I thought of a good excuse, she would be too busy loving the attention of people congratulating her because of me getting a diploma”

“Where are you going, exactly?”

“I’m not telling, because otherwise you’ll be looking for me”

I nodded “True”

“But Zach said that we’re going to travel, which I always wanted to do, you know that” She said, chuckling.

“What about your mom?” What about me?

“She never really cared after my dad died, so I doubt she’ll miss me”

“Don’t say tha-“

“It’s the truth”

We both sighed over the phone; she was really going away with that douche.

“I gotta go now”

“Okay”

“Goodbye”

“Don’t say goodbye Harry, we’ll see each other again, someday”

“Someday”

“I love you”

“I love you too”

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Deep in my heart there's a trembling question
Still I am sure that the answer,
answer's gonna come somehow