Silver Dagger

Exodos

Outside the shelter that Diana is hiding in, a week later. The Messenger is pounding on the door, a look of disgust on his face. Diana answers.

Diana.
What is it? Leave me alone. Please.

Messenger.
I would if I could. But I’ve been asked to read you this note.

Diana.
No, just give it to me. I can read it myself.

Messenger.
I repeat, I would if I could. But my orders are to read it aloud to you.

Diana.
And whose orders would those be?

Messenger.
The queen. It was her dying wish.

Diana.
The queen? My mother? Marigold? She’s gone?

Messenger.
Yes.

Diana.
Oh, this is all my fault!

Messenger.
I can’t say much to that.

Diana.
Go on. Just read it to me.

Messenger.
She writes, “To my daughter: This is the last you will ever hear from me. I’ve been cursed by the Vell. It happened shortly after you left, and my time is running out. By the time you hear this read to you, I will be gone.”

Diana.
It can’t be true.

Messenger.
But it is. There’s more. She says, “I know the Vell have stolen all your magic by now; you are defenseless. Dean is trying to find you. I only hope he does. I know we have set up many shelters for you, and you could be anywhere. But I am hoping for anything… You know, as your mother, I don’t want your life to end. Yet you have to think for the good of the people. Don’t be so cowardly or selfish. You know the right thing to do.”

Diana.
Dean? Where is he?

Messenger.
He was slaughtered two days ago by the leader of the Vell.

Diana.
This is my fault. I can’t… Who is left?

Messenger.
Very few. We will all be gone soon. The few that are left will be picked off, and then the Vell will come for you.

Diana.
I must run. I must go back to Terra.

Messenger.
Even now, must you take the cowardly option?

Diana.
There is nothing left to do. And why do you speak to a princess like that?

Messenger.
The people don’t see you as their princess anymore. We who are left see you as our downfall.

Diana.
I had a home in Terra. I have to save at least someone, even if it is myself!

Messenger.
Don’t think we haven’t sent a message to that boy whom you met in Terra. We figured that if he had any tie to you, he might know what to do. But he had no idea what we were asking about. He doesn’t remember you.

Diana.
I promised him I would be back. He promised me forever.

Messenger.
It doesn’t look like it’s going to end that way. We can’t stop anything now. I have brought you one thing. Here.

Diana.
What is this? A dagger?

Messenger.
Perhaps you will decide to let the rest of us live.

Diana.
Isn’t it too late, now? I have ruined everything. If I had only realized my mistakes earlier… There is nothing to be saved. I can’t use this knife to take my own life. There is no point.

Messenger.
There are the few of us who are left. It’s never too late.

[Exit Messenger. Diana is left all alone, with only the silver dagger to keep her company, to remind her of the destruction she has caused, and that the end is near.]
♠ ♠ ♠
end.