Status: In progress :)

Haunt Me

13

Peyton woke with a shriek that woke Darien, who fell asleep in the chair.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed, practically falling out of his seat. "Peyton, are you okay? Peyton, wake up!" He held her by the shoulders and shook her. Her eyes shot open, pupils dilated, looking around the room frantically. Her eyes met his and she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"He was here!" She sobbed. "He was coming after you, Darien, I thought you were dead!"

Darien pulled her head to his chest and held her there. "Pey, I'm right here, I'm fine!" He stroked her hair until her crying ceased. "It's okay." He chanted.

Dear Peyton,

I actually graduated from the community college, which is why it was so spectacular of your mother to hire me. I wasn't expecting to find a job right away. In fact, I thought I was going to need to move in with my mother again. Layla ended up being a blessing in disguise. My mother had a stroke two weeks after I was hired, she went into a vegetative state and had been comatose since. Of course, her funeral was last night.
Where did you go to college?

Until tomorrow,
SLK


Peyton spun the short-stemmed iris between her pointer finger and thumb, dreamily reading the letter. She tucked sandy blond hair behind her ear, biting her lip.

"Hey, Love bird." Angela put her hand on Peyton's shoulder, making her jump.

"Goodness gracious, Angie! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

Angela stuck her thumb over her shoulder, pointing to the front door. "Hon, I've been knocking on your door for a couple minutes. You were just too absorbed in your seriously morbid love life to notice."

"Once again, there is no romance here." Peyton glared playfully at her best friend.

"That's good," Angela slumped onto the couch cushion next to Peyton, a sly smile plastered on her face." Kenneth called me last night, trying to see if I knew anything about the mystery man in your life. I think he's jealous."

She chuckled lightly , trying to hide the hint of pride she felt. "Well, he has no reason to be. There's nothing going on here. He's nothing more that a penpal arrangement." She explained.

The fiery redhead looked skeptically at Peyton. "That's one really weird penpal."

Peyton sighed. "I know you don't approve, Angie, you don't need to rub my nose in it whenever we talk."

"It's not just disapproval because of what he did to Layla, Pey. What do you know about this guy? Not his name-- that's for sure!"

"I know he went to community college and worked for my mother. And I know that he's interested in getting to know me, and I wouldn't mind getting to know him." Peyton crossed her arms, face red from defending herself.

"I'm just trying to be a friend. I worry about you. This guy is dangerous."

___

Sebastian shook his hair with his fingers, making it deliberately messy. He looked in the mirror, blue eyes staring back, crinkled at the corners from a smile. Tomorrow would be his first day at work and he started early enough that Peyton would still be asleep.

His smile grew wider with the thought of her. He splashed water in his face. "Get a grip, Kate." He hurriedly brushed his teeth and went to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've been gone so long. My motivation was stamped out for a while, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.