A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

III

Nick’s POV

After steph had felt ill but tried to reassure me she was fine at the scene i spent the journey back to the lab glancing over at her. She was trying to push it off as if it was nothing but i could tell she was feeling rough. Maybe she had food poisoning from something, i couldn’t be certain she seemed a little pale and less energetic then normal. Mind you we had all been working a good few busy shifts the past couple of weeks so it could be due to lack of sleep as well.

As we walked into the labs i took a couple of paper bags of evidence down to various rooms before stopping in at the AV lab where Archie was happily sat.

“hey, Arch i have some CCTV footage here and a image of a john doe. If you spot him in CCTV at all can you let me know trying to work out how he got to the scene.”

Archie he agreed he would get to work and i headed down tot he break room. Warrick was currently sat in there watching the football highlights as i settled beside him.

“How’s your case going?”

“It’s not getting far until we have results. Lottie and Greg have gone down to the autopsy, told then I’d hang up here in case we got some results back. Yours.”

“Same sort of deal. You seen steph about?”

“Her and Sara walked out of here bout ten minutes ago heading for the parking lot.”

“The parking lot?”

“don’t ask me, i just presumed it was in relation to the case.”

“cheer’s. Catch you in a bit.”

I rose from the sofa once more and headed down wondering why the two had headed to the car park. If it was in relation to the case wouldn’t they of informed me first? As i stepped outside i could see them anywhere and there we no vehicles missing from the lot either. Maybe they had just gone to grab some food or something. I headed back inside and wondered down to Grissom’s office instead.

As i stepped inside Brandon was just starting to stir. As he saw me he walked over and asked to be picked up. I held him in my arm as i spoke to Grissom for a little while, who had managed to clear quite a substantial amount of paperwork from his cluttered desk. After a little while i put Brandon down again as i got a message from Hodges informing me there were results to collect already. Brandon continued his colouring and before long i was stood in the trace lab.

Hodges handed me a piece of paper just as Greg and Lottie stepped into the lab. I watched Hodges just stare at Greg for a moment before he looked down at his desk again.

“Hodges you got our results?”

Hodges thrust a piece of paper at Greg who seemed confused to Hodges behaviour but soon shook it off as the two of them disappeared again.

“Cheer’s for this.”

I walked out my cell phone ringing and was grateful to see it was doc Robbins. I informed him i would be down in autopsy soon before i dialled Steph’s cell phone.

“Robinson”

“hey, it’s me”

“hey me, what you calling for?”

“Doc said he’s about to start the autopsy I’m heading down are either you or Sara?”

“Sara will be down in a moment, Wendy has just informed me we have results ready i shall go find out what they are.”

I put my cell away again before heading down to the morgue. Sara arrived not long after me and we stepped in to be greeted by doc Robbins. The autopsy provided us with some more information as well as a way to identify the John doe hopefully. One thing had caught the Doc’s eye though.

“Greg had the same circumstances from their case. Killed in the same way and the guy was a similar age.”

“I will look into it doc thanks for the info though.”

My cell started to ring again as i left the morgue and i was quick to answer it.

“nick, print’s at the scene are related to Lottie’s case. Their Vic’s prints were here to.”

“Doc something about similarity in the deaths of the Vic’s, maybe these cases are linked. We will head up to you now, see if you can find the rest of them.”

As me and Sara got to the layout room i was grateful to see everyone was stood around and Catherine had now joined having completed whatever case she had been working on beforehand.

We all stood around sharing results we had discovered so far and also placed locations on a map surprised the crimes were so close together, only a block apart and yet no-one had noticed.

“We need to head back out and check the rest of that block. There could be evidence around there that we missed.