A Wish Upon a Lucky Star

IV

Greg’s POV

Grissom and Steph swapped, wit steph doing some work so Grissom could help at the scene this time. Everyone headed out to the field and soon had their own area to search for anything that could be related to the two cases.

Me and Lottie were both working near each other at the moment and as i managed to find trace that looked similar to what we had found on our DB i heard her footsteps approach. She knelt beside me interested in what i had found as she looked down at the area i was searching.

“There is nothing over there at all, want me to help?”

“Sure.”

The two of us continued to work slowly making our way around the area of street we were covering looking for anything else. Lottie had spotted something buried underneath some trash and dug it out to reveal a pistol. She bagged the weapon after getting photos before locking it in the truck.

As she returned there was some form of bang from the other side of the block before a cry of help that sounded like it belonged to Catherine. I looked over to Lottie to see i wasn’t imagining it and the two of us quickly took off down the alleyway. We got about half way down before gunfire rained over us and i found the two of us trying to scramble behind a dumpster for protection.

I pulled my gun from it’s holster and stood on my feet. I peered around the bin to get a glimpse of the shooter before getting off two shots at him. He was quick to turn avoiding both shots though before he started firing back at where me and Lottie were. I ducked back behind the dumpster as adrenaline rushed through my body. Catherine could be hurt or in trouble though and i knew one of the team needed to get around to help her.

“Lottie, I’m going to shoot again as i do, run back up the alley and down another block before heading to check on Catherine.”

Lottie nodded telling me to me careful as she prepared herself to run. I gave a count before i turned firing more shots at the guy that had took aim at us. As i did i heard Lottie run and knew she had made it unseen. My mind was concentrated now on getting a hit into the guy to stop him from shooting at any other members of the team.

As i fired the last round in the direction i felt something tear through my forearm. I hadn’t realised how unprotected i was until i looked down at my arm now i was sat behind the dumpster again. I could still hear meal chipping off the dumpster but that wasn’t what took my mind.

I looked at my arm to see a lot of blood pouring from the wound. The pain wasn’t distinguishable through the adrenaline that pumped through my body but i knew the second that wore off i would be in agony. I had nothing near me to use to stem the blood flow either and so just used my other hand to apply pressure not caring that i was getting covered in my own blood.

I hoped Lottie had got round to Catherine now and that they were both ok. I hadn’t heard any other cries of help all i could hear was bullets flying around. Were these the people who killed the males though for them to know we would be coming back to find something that could tell us who exactly they were. My mind was back in CSI mode as i spotted the bullet that had tore through my arm lying on the ground. I picked it up and placed it in one of the plastic bags i had on me still.

As i continued to sit there stuck knowing if i tried to run i would no doubt end up dead i looked back up the ally in a hope i would get a chance to get there. I could hear sirens growing louder and knew back up had been called in relation to the gunfire and just hoped they were quick enough to catch whoever it was.

As i started to make an escape plan in my mind i noticed that the gunfire had stopped within close range although i could still hearing it echoing nearby. I risked a glance around the side of the dumpster to see the shooter was distracted with another target and took my chance. My feet slipped against the dusty alleyway floor to i forced myself forward cradling my injured arm as best as i could.

My feet continued to pound the sidewalk after i got out of the alley and i found myself running a good distance before finally i came to a stop. My chest started to ache as i caught my breath again looking down to evaluate the bloody mess that was my arm. As i stood there taking in steady breaths the pain now starting to become noticeable i felt hands on me.

I found myself getting pulled away unable to see who it was as i was forced away from everything going on and into a nearby building. The room was dark inside before i felt pressure on my shoulder and dropped to the floor the pain in my arm worsening under the extra force unable to shove back and get free. My mind was a blur as it tried to take in what was going on and yet i wasn’t able to yell for help either.