Status: Still Going Strong.

The Hills That Cradle Us

It's Not A False Alarm

“Babe, wake up,” Frederick said, “You gotta get to work.” I rolled over in the bed, trying to block out the sound of his voice.

“Emmy Fran, you get out of this bed right now or…” and then I rolled towards him and he saw my face.

“Oh, baby, you’re white as a ghost!” he said, wrapping his arms around me and carrying me to the bathroom. I was there for the next hour, puking my lungs out.

“Lisa, Emily just can’t make it to work today. She’s throwing up ever fifteen minutes and she looks like a wreck.” Frederick said, on the phone with my boss.

“We need her here for the show, Mr. Morgan,” Lisa said, obviously annoyed. Freddy started arguing with Lisa until I got up and grabbed the phone from his hands.

“Lisa, I’ll be there. Give me another hour, okay?” I said, hanging up before she even responded.

“Babe, you are in no shape to go to work.” Freddy said, pushing my hair back.

“I’m fine,” I said, spinning around, “It was probably just food poisoning or something. You go to work and win your case today, sweetie. I’ll be fine.

“Okay,” he said, kissing my cheek. He took her briefcase and left the apartment tentatively, as if he was waiting for me to call him back. The minute he shut the door I started freaking out. I wasn’t sick. I didn’t have food poisoning.

I thought about all the symptoms. I even bought a pregnancy test to make sure. I’ve been puking at least once every two days, I’ve been having weird cravings, I’m cranky when I shouldn’t; Hell, I haven’t had my period in two months. I just thought I was being irregular.

It’s not like we didn’t want a baby. I just never had that big moment where I wanted a kid. Frederick is a full-time lawyer. I’m a full-time talk show host. We wouldn’t have time for a kid!

But, we’re not exactly careful. If you know what I mean.

I ran to my purse and took out the pregnancy test I bought last week and went to the bathroom. Lord, help me now.