Forbidden

September 6, 2011



Good morning! Today is September Sixth, Two Thousand Eleven which is a Tuesday.

I am super duper excited because today is the first day of junior year and I am officially volleyball captain, which is the best news of all time.



As I was in the bathroom, I shifted my camera upwards to see my face clearly, and started again.



Even though I concluded yesterday with this topic, I guess I can repeat that my summer of 2011 was an overall, okay experience.

Despite the fact that I didn't see any of my friends, it was good that I had Jackson to visit me, almost all the time.

And, of course Nate.

The worst part of my summer was driver's education and testing for my permit. I have gotten my permit, and I am dreading to even learn how to drive.

Nate already has his license and he bought a decent car over the summer so he's been out of the house often.

Always getting his pictures.

I bet you when I go downstairs, the first words out of Mom's mouth will be "when are you going to start driving" and my answer will be "whenever you have the free time" because she never has any free time.

But I'm hoping that she will have absolutely no free time so I don't have to drive.

Hmm, I have volleyball practice after today's school day, so I won't be recording another video until like 5 or 6 ish.

I am hoping to make it home in time to have dinner with the fam.

I actually like having dinner with them now; for the fact that Nate actually eats with us and we've gotten slightly closer. Ever since the day I said I was gonna get to know him, he has not been ignoring me and I take that as a sign of progress.

Now he's going to the same school as me.

I wonder if Amber was going to be all over him.

She's over any guys that has to deal with me, because she just wants to involve herself in my life and just ruin me in some way.

But that is not happening, sorry to say.

So I will be leaving for school now, so byeee!



I waved at the camera and then shut the recording button off.

Amber Samantha Banks.

It takes a lot for me to dislike someone.

And I dislike Amber Banks more than anyone in this world.

I think you can even use the word despise for her.

We basically grew up together and we used to be friends during elementary school, but apparently she didn't want to be friends with me after third grade.

She said she didn't want me showing off my "looks".

She said she didn't want me showing off my "skills".

She said she didn't want me showing off my "rich status".

She said she didn't want me showing off anything that I have.

Like, I have no idea what she means by that.

I don't "show off" the things that I have.

I know I have them, and that satisfies me enough.

It just pains to see me someone hate me because I have it.

Amber grew up with an abusive, alcoholic father and a mother who had no love or respect for her daughter.

They were rich, but they had major problems.

Her parents even divorced when she was like eight or nine.

But the thing that gets me the most is that she tries too hard to beat me at everything. She "shows off" the fact that she wants to beat me in life.

She even kissed Jackson once to try to get him to break up with me but that was a fail.

So Amber Banks is the only person that I despise in my life.

I try not letting it get me high tempered but I can't help snickering her off when I see her in the hallways in school.

Anyways, I looked in the mirror making sure that my outfit, which was my white buttoned blouse tucked into my blue, polka dotted skirt.

I moussed my hair to make it have more volume because my straight hair was always to flat and when I finished, I only smiled at myself in the mirror.

"Good to go." I said to myself.

As I walked back into my bedroom, I went to my shoe closet, grabbing my white canvases, placing them on my foot, then grabbed my plaid black and white backpack in another closet.

I started at the stairs, looking at Nate's door to see it completely closed and I just smiled.

Wonder if he was close to being done yet.

As going down the stairs, I checked my phone to see the time, seeing that it was already 6:25 in the morning.

I jogged down the stairs, walked towards the kitchen, seeing Mom at the kitchen table.

"Morning Mother."

She looked up, taking her glasses off, as I sat diagonally across from her. She smiled at me, answering, "You seem happy this morning."

Maria placed a glass of chocolate milk in front of me, so I grabbed it, raising my eyebrows at her.

"So," Mom said, continuing, "When will you start driving?"

Bingo.

Like I predicted.

"Mother..." I groaned.

She puckered her lips at me, placing a fist on the table, "Janie sweetie. You have a permit for a reason. You don't want to fail your driving test."

"I actually do."

She put her glasses back on and started signing her paperwork again. I leaned against the chair, crossing my arms as she continued, "Whose picking you up today?"

Looking at her, I replied, "Britney. She said she had to see me after her summer in New England."

I looked around, seeing if Nate had come down yet but I didn't have a sight of him.

"Is Nate even awake yet?"

She smiled, replying, "Nate left already."

"Left?" I questioned, squinting my eyes, "What do you mean he left? It's only 6:30..."

"He left since 5:30 or something. Said he wanted to get pictures of the sunrise or something."

I pouted my mouth in surprise, "Man that kid is really passionate about photography."

She smiled, bending her head down towards the table.

After five minutes of silence, Mom started again.

"Be sure to take care of Nate when you get there. In case he gets lost or something. Everyone knows you around school, I'm sure you could pull a few strings to get him friends or something."

Pull him strings to get him friends, Mother?

How old was she?

"If he lets me take care of him," I replied.

"Why do you say that?"

"Mom, have you seen how he is? He's been my stepbrother for how many months, and we're still not close."

"Don't forget not everyone is like you."

"Like what?"

"You're the one who calls yourself perfect."

"I do not."

She glared at me, puckering her lips, making me fall silent. I crossed my arms, drinking my milk, wondering if I actually considered myself perfect.

"Anyways," I continued. "What's that have to do with being close with Nate?"

"Nate may not be as confident, as talkative, or as friendly as you. I told you, you have to give him time."

"I've given him months."

"Give him more." She finally demanded. "Please, Janie. You're gonna have to live with him under the same roof for a while."

"Fine," I sighed.

I was too lazy to argue with her, so I gave up.

After a few seconds, Britney's picture ID popped up into my phone, so I smiled, immediately picking it up. "Hey you."

"Hellllooooooooooo," She said, expanding her "hello". "I am in your driveway. Get your butt out here."

"Okay, I'm coming."

I hung up the phone, standing up and grabbing my backpack. "I'll see you at dinner."

She waved back at me, then looking back down at her paperwork, so I started walking towards my front door. On the way, I passed Michael, and I felt like I haven't seen him in forever.

"Hey Mike." I greeted.

"Oh, hey Janie," He replied. "Going to school already?"

"Yepp, you working with Mom today?"

"When am I not?"

Pressing my lips against each other, I gave out a smile, then walked passed him. Before I actually left the room, I turned around saying, "I'll be sure to take care of Nate at school."

I don't why I said that.

But I wanted him to be reassured that his son was in good hands.

I started walking out again, but Michael suddenly stopped me by saying, "You don't have to."

Turning around with a puzzled look, the only words that could come out of my mouth was, "Heh?"

He placed his hands in his pockets, repeating, "No need to take care of Nate. He'll be fine on his own."

Mom says one thing, then Michael says a completely different thing.

Who the heck am I gonna listen to?

Mom says to take care of Nate because he's new.

Michael says not to take care of Nate.

"You really don't need to," Michael insisted.

After stuttering for a little bit, I only nodded my head, giggling.

"Okay," I managed to say. "Bye then."

I didn't wait to see his response so I only walked away from him and walked out of the house using the front door. Closing the front door behind me, I saw Britney's car parked in my driveway and she immediately came out.

I started walking up to her, as she sprinted up to me, meeting on the edge of the walkway and giving each other a huge hug.

She tightened her arms around my waist as I wrapped mine around her neck, constantly jumping up and down.

After a minute, we pulled away, but still kept holding onto each other's arms and she began looking at me up and down.

She squinted her eyes, puckering her mouth, "From the stories I've heard, I would've thought you could cast for a zombie movie or something."

I looked at strangely, asking, "Are you trying to compliment me?"

Shrugging, she replied, "Well. I'm just trying to say for someone who had a rough summer, you still look good. And you have to tell me every single thing that has happened over summer on our way to school."

I rolled my eyes at her as she looked at me very excitedly.

--


"Oosh," Britney complained. "Jackson's in for a treat here."

"The point of this story was to feel for me."

"Who in the world would feel bad for you?"

I glared at her as she was sitting across from me at the lab table in chemistry. It was third period, which was the period before we had lunch, so I was blessed that Britney and I were in the same class.

She sighed, continuing, "So Jackson's changed over the summer?"

I rested both of my arms on the table, looking at her, not knowing what to answer.

"Should I be paranoid that Jackson's paranoid about me and my stepbrother?" I finally managed to ask.

Shrugging, she answered, "I could always be like you and say the answer is in the question."

I glared at her again, waiting for her to give me a decent answer so she groaned, "Okay sorry. Well, Jackson has never complained so much or been so overprotective of you."

"What did he say?" I asked, getting curious.

"Well," She mumbled. "I mean, the last time I heard him complain about any guys coming around you is the sketchy dude who he punched in the face."

I cringed, with that moment flashing back in my head, as I continued listening to Britney talk. "Since that incident was like two years ago, this is the first time in two years he's becoming overprotective again."

"Why doesn't he just tell me?"

"Because all you are going to do is complain to him. You're gonna ask, why are you being so paranoid about my stepbrother? And then you two will argue again. He doesn't want to talk to you because he doesn't want to show his jealousy so much."

I snickered, "So much for now showing."

"Hmm," She exclaimed. "What did he even get you for your birthday? You never even told me."

"Oh," I replied, getting out his little booklet out from my backpack. "Hold on, I have it with me."

"You carry his present around?"

"No," I answered, glaring. "It was perfectly in my small purse that I placed it in, and it stuck with me. I like it, so I keep it safely."

"What is it anyway?"

Handing the booklet to her, I replied, "It's pictures of me doing embarrassing things on our trip to Yellowstone. There's like ten pictures and he wrote little captions for them, explaining he was secretly laughing but he was afraid I would get mad if I saw the pictures."

She grabbed the booklet, turning the pages and reading word for word.

"And I thought there would be a decent picture of him in here."

I snickered, "He barely even looks at the camera, what's his reason to even be in a picture?"

She smiled as she was reading the booklet, sighing, "He seems like he has a cute personality. Why do you say he's so quiet?"

"I was surprised when he gave it to me. I didn't think he was gonna even give me a card."

Handing the booklet back to me, she only chuckled, placing her arms on the table. I placed it back in my backpack, sighing to myself.

"Maybe I should stop thinking too much," I started. "Maybe I'm the one whose too paranoid."

"Janie, a guy's gotta worry about his girlfriend. It's not his fault. Is he ever jealous of any of our guy friends? I don't think so. Jackson's gotta have his reasons for being overprotective."

"But being jealous about Nate? My stepbrother?"

"I can't really answer that since I haven't seen this stepbrother. How good does he look? I'm getting really curious."

I placed my elbow on the table, helping me support the palm I rested against my face. I groaned at Britney, wanting to answer that Nate was one of the best looking guys I had ever seen in my life, but that would make her suspect even more.

I noticed everyone in the class looked utterly happy and excited to be back in school, and talking with their friends.

Everyone's first day outfits at Beverly Hills High School had to be over the top.

Some years, people would even have a vote which girl and guy had the best costume.

I haven't even seen Nate yet, so I couldn't give him any tips of how cliche this school was.

I hoped he had made some friends by now.

After a few minutes of not talking to Britney, I saw her focus her attention to something at a distance behind me.

The pencil she was previously writing with, was currently embedded in her hands, like she was frozen.

I waved a hand across her face, as I saw her face in complete shock.

Or was it confusion?

Anger?

"Britney," I called. "You good?"

When she shook her head, like she had broken out of a frozen stage, she looked at me, starting, "If you look three o' clock, you will see the definition of a perfect face."

I narrowed my eyes, looking to my left and she reached over to hit my hand, exclaiming, "That's nine o clock, you idiot."

I jumped a little after getting insulted, crossing my arms, "Who on earth uses time to even turn around these days?"

I finally looked to my right, which was apparently her three o clock, and widened my eyes.

"Nate?" I asked myself, quietly.

Nate was standing in front of the door, pockets in his hand, and Mrs. Benson, our chemistry teacher, went up to him.

I quickly turned around, looking at Britney, who continued looking at Nate very delighted.

"This has got to be the new kid," She continued, not taking her eyes off of him. "I have never seen such a hottie."

"Britney!" I exclaimed, very softly.

"What?!"

"Could you please stop looking at him like that?" I asked for a favor, because it was getting me annoyed, but I had no idea why.

"Why?"

I scratched the top of my head, biting the sides of my mouth, but before answering, she asked, "Do you know him? Because if you do, you're officially the only girl I know who knows all of the hot dudes."

"You wanted to know how good looking Nate was, right?" I asked, nudging my head towards where I predicted Nate would be standing. "There you have it."

She widened her eyes, very largely, almost shouting, "That's your stepbrother?!?!"

I shushed her, as the table behind her turned around to look at us, and I bent my head down.

She lowered her voice, sliding her head forward, "That's your stepbro? That's Nathan?!"

I glared at her, nodding my head as she leaned back into her chair. "Well, now that I have officially seen him. OF COURSE JACKSON HAS SOMETHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT. Do you see how hot he is?"

"Shhhhh!" I hissed again, sighing, "Can you not say it so loud?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't lie to you. I thought you were lucky to have such a cute and great guy like Jackson, but you're even luckier to have this angel as your stepbrother. You get to see him everyday."

Once again, I narrowed my eyes at her, shaking my head.

This best friend of mine was something, I'll say.

I heard three claps in the front of the room, as we all turned around. When I rotated myself completely, I immediately made eye contact with Nate, as he nudged his head up a little.

I looked towards Mrs. Benson, trying to ignore the fact that he was standing right next to her.

"Before I start class," Mrs. Benson began. "I would like to introduce a new student. His name is Nathan Johnson and he has transferred to BHHS as a junior, right?"

She looked at Nate and he only nodded in agreement.

"So I suggest you guys make him feel welcome." She concluded.

A few people waved at him and I caught a glance of a few girls who went to whisper how good looking he was to other people.

"Well," Mrs. Benson continued. "The only table I see available is by the pretty girl with the white blouse. Third table on the right down."

When those words processed in my head, I only realized that that was my table.

I was the girl with the white blouse.

I was sitting at the third table on the his right.

The table was meant for four, but the it was only Britney and I.

All the other tables were filled with four students and there was another table that was already filled with three students, but I guess Mrs. Benson didn't see that one.

Nate nodded at her, making his way towards our table so I immediately turned around, seeing Britney really excited.

When he walked behind me, to get to the chair next to me, I could feel his presence right there.

He placed his backpack on the floor, sitting down, resting his hands on the table.

I looked at him, in which he was currently to my right, giggling a little bit.

"So you didn't tell me you were in this class..." I started.

I smirked a little, shrugging, "You didn't ask me."

I clenched my teeth together, almost hitting his arm, but pulled away before anyone noticed. I leaped my eyes towards Britney, who was formally asking me by her eyes to introduce her to Nate.

I puckered my lips, starting, "Nate. This is my friend, Britney. Brit, my stepbrother, Nate."

She waved at him, excitedly, greeting, "Finally nice to meet you. Janie's told me so much about you."

Nate looked at him, raising an eyebrow, "You have?"

I only raised my eyebrows back at him, looking away. Nate only smiled at Britney, nodding, as she seemed so excited to meet him.

Britney must've been really attracted to him.

Because she hasn't been this way around any guy since I've seen her.

But why would it be bothering me?

--


Something I have always disliked about high school was gym class.

Especially if it was gym class during last period.

And to be honest.

The only sport I was really "pro" at was volleyball; and only volleyball.

Now that I was stuck with soccer for my physical education unit, Jackson had something to teach me for an entire month.

All we were doing was currently taking turns, kicking balls into the soccer net, and Ms. Dimitri, our physical education teacher, was jotting down notes to see how many of us can kick into the net without it being cut off.

As I was waiting in line, Selena, another good friend of mine who was currently standing behind me as the line moved slowly, started, "It's the first day of school. Shouldn't we be learning about the dos and donts about gym? Even the guys' side over there is just sitting around."

I chuckled, crossing my arms, "You know Ms. Dimitri and her passion for soccer."

"More like passion for torturing her students." Selena joked. "But seriously? Kicking a soccer ball into the net for the first day of gym class? Way too much for the first day."

Believe it or not, this girl complained more than I did.

The only thing I can do while hearing her complain was standing there, listening to her with my arms crossed.

"Look at those guys," She began again. "Just sitting there, laughing their asses off, while us girls kick a soccer ball into a net to get bonus points, or whatever she called them."

I looked over at where the guys were standing on the field and they were really just standing there, looking like they were enjoying themselves.

So jealous right now.

I continued walking up, looking down, thinking about if Nate was in the same gym class.

I had seen him walk into the boys' locker room but I guess he didn't sign up to be in the same unit as me.

Then again, they separated the units into like ten different sports.

"Anderson!" I suddenly heard a very loud, manly woman's voice yell at me. I immediately looked up, seeing Ms. Dimitri point at the soccer net, which made me realize I was next to kick the soccer ball.

I giggled at her, nudging my head back forward to Selena, concluding, "Now I know why she's a Miss."

Selena let out a laugh and I went backwards to get a good start for kicking the ball.

Even though this was soccer, I tried my best to mindset the goal of volleyball back into my head.

Set yourself.

Develop the attitude.

I sighed loudly, sprinting towards the soccer ball, then kicking as hard as I could with my right leg to get it into the goal.

As I saw the ball fly past the net, I sighed to myself, scratching my head, "I think that was too much attitude."

I turned around, crossing my arms, groaning at Selena. Walking passed her, she tapped me on the shoulders as another soccer ball was being thrown at her.

"Just ruined the rally, Anderson," Ms. Dimitri said to try to make me feel bad.

I didn't even look at her; I only crossed my arms and walked away from her.

"Nice way to ruin it, Janey Baby... " I heard a familiar voice say to me as I walked passed her. I released my arms to the side, seeing Amber, officially making this a terrible day.

Same class with Amber?

Someone shoot me?

"Hey Amber." I said, plaintively.

She shrugged, crossing her arms, "I guess it's not odd if you can't kick a simple ball into the soccer net. I mean, your motto is to ruin things anyway."

I bit the sides of my mouth, glaring at her as Selena came up to me. She saw me looking at Amber, so turned around to face Amber, standing besides me.

Amber chuckled, "Oh lookie. Two peas in a pod. If you add Britney, you'll probably just be a lesbian group who just loves to ruin people."

I looked at Selena, very oddly, trying to make out where she was going with this story.

Did she really hate me that much that she would make up anything to make me mad?

I chuckled a bit, crossing my arms again, "If you really want to try insulting somebody, try looking in the mirror. Insults tends to suit that person more."

Before I could see her reaction, I pulled Selena away to get back into the end of the line as she cheered, "Good thing you only have words. I would've slapped her by now if it was me."

I raised my eyebrows at her, as she gave me a high five.

This was not the best first day I was expecting.

--


"Alright girls!" Ms. Dimitri shouted. "Up and down the bleachers!"

All the girls groaned, as we just finished our lap around the soccer field five times.

I had no idea if I was in gym class, or if I was trying out for military services.

Volleyball practice wasn't even as heavy as this.

I signed up for the wrong unit.

All the girls went towards the bleachers, starting to get ready, and I could feel the sweat seeping through my purple BHHS t-shirt.

"Oh look," Ms. Dimitri continued. "Coach Dunburg was even nice to give you ladies more support."

Every girl turned around to see that all the guys that we saw on the other side of the field, standing right near the bleachers, ready to watch us run up and down the bleachers.

Then there he was.

Nate.

I could spot him ten miles away if I could.

He was just so handsome.

"Ms. D," One girl called out. "No break at all?"

"You can. But a high school graduation requires gym class and I could easily have you retake this class."

I looked at Selena, amazed that she even said that comment, shaking my head.

It was the first day.

What was she even talking about?

Usually, my first day of gym class is sitting on the bleachers and learning about the safety regulations and dress code about gym.

I've never gotten dressed on the first day.

Since Amber was only two girls from the left of me, I heard her whisper to the girl next to her, "Blonde hair." After that, they focused their attention towards Nate, and that made me despise Amber more.

If she only knew he was related to me.

Well, not blood related.

Just, living under the same roof.

That'd be hysterical.

"Ready girls!" Ms. Dimitri, or more like Ms. Devil, at this point yelled, holding her timer. All the girls started, then she blew her whistle, automatically making me run up.

I counted that there were fifteen steps up, so that means that I'd have to run thirty steps in total. After running down, I didn't even care how I looked anymore, because at this point, I was smelly, sweaty and most definitely not the most appealing person ever.

After what felt like five minutes, I noticed Amber was the person running next to me at the bleachers, which made me even more annoyed.

This girl was really determined to make my life worse.

We continued running up and down the bleachers, trying to make time go back quickly, but I could feel her staring me down for some reason.

As I was running down again, I reached towards the third step before the last, and suddenly, Amber reached her leg out to trip me.

I began to lose balance, as she reached the last step, then starting to go up again.

I didn't know how I felt this moment.

Because I know that I had to fall down.

I let out a small shriek, tangling my foot under the steps, then heading face down towards the first step.

I closed my eyes as I was going down, but then I felt a pair of hands grab me unexpectedly.

I opened my eyes again, seeing Nate, as we both fell down, hitting the first step, but then rolling over to land on the grass.

My back landed right on the grass, as I groaned very loudly, wanting to scream at Amber Banks at this moment.

But all I could see was Nate's face, very close to mine.

His body, right on top of mine.

He helped me.

Again.

As turned his head to face me, our noses touched and I could practically feel his breath.

We made eye contact, but it was something so different.

I had never been so close with him.

I had weird, tingly feelings flying around my stomach and I wasn't sure what it was.

I noticed he had a white bandaid on his forehead but for some reason I could not take my eyes off from his.

I gulped, very silently, trying to move out, but I really didn't want to. After realizing what happened, he finally began getting up, by using his hands to raise his arms and all of his body weight was released from mine.

Selena ran up to me, calling, "Janie!" She bent down next to me, grabbing my arm as Nate took a seat on the first step of the bleacher.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

I slightly nodded, slowly getting up, but fell back down again because my back was in pain.

Everyone seemed to be so quiet and I felt like the entire gym class was staring me down.

Nate stood up again, holding his hand out, so I looked at his hand before making eye contact with him. I grinned and he only smiled, nudging me to get up, so I grabbed his hand as he held it very tightly, helping me get up.

I finally stood up, realizing my legs were perfectly fine, while my back was sore.

I bet Amber wanted me to get a broken leg or something.

That's how...

Childish she was.

I glanced at her, seeing her with her arms crossed on the tenth step of the bleachers, looking very dissatisfied.

"Anderson," Ms. Devil called out. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I reassured. I looked at Amber, who only looked away from me, knowing that she was completely wrong.

But she wasn't going to admit it easily.

"This is what happens when you're not a soccer player," I managed to say, changing the subject.

"That should be enough for today," Devil announced. "Alright girls. Go change your clothes. Thursday will be a new day."

Every single girl clapped, running down the bleachers, sprinting back towards the locker room.

Some nice ones came up to me and asked if I was okay.

But the only thing I was worried about was if they were going to comment my stepbrother being on top of me for a period of time.

Amber walked down the steps, very loudly, arms crossed. "Nothing can destroy you."

She walked passed me, unsatisfied, as I only clenched my teeth at her.

"What the hell did I ever do to you?" I asked, very loudly, as Selena was standing there.

Selena slightly smiled, rubbing my arm, "You're good, right?"

I nodded my head, reassuring that I was.

"Good thing you had this guy to help you," She said, pointing at Nate. "Otherwise, you probably would've broken your ankle by the way I saw you fly down there."

I scratched my head, looking at Nate, smiling, "There goes Nate Johnson to the rescue again."

"You're okay though, right?"

I nodded my head again, as Selena asked, "Wait... You two know each other?"

I raised my eyebrows, answering, "My stepbrother."

She pouted her mouth, nodding at me. "So you're okay though, right? I have a doctor's appointment right after school ends so I gotta run."

I looked at my watch, seeing that there were only ten minutes left of last period so I only nodded at her, "Go ahead. I'm not hurt anywhere."

"Okay," She smiled, as she began running back towards the school. "Nice meeting you!"

He gave out a small wave, as Ms. Devil here was standing there with her arms crossed.

"You need help walking Anderson?"

"I'm good," I replied. "I think this one's in pain more than I am."

"You okay kid?" She turned to ask Nate. Nate only waved his hand, nodding his head, indicating that he was fine. Ms. Dimitri and Coach Dunburg began walking away, so I sat down on the bleachers next to Nate.

"You came out of nowhere," I began, trying to say nice things to him. "But thanks... For always being there when I'm about to die or something."

He chuckled, placing his elbows on his lap, linking his hand together.

I glanced at the white bandaid on the side of his left forehead, leaning my head towards the side to see what happened.

"What happened to your forehead?"

He looked at me, pouting his mouth, placing his hand on the bandaid and chuckling.

"Well," He started. "You kick pretty hard."

I narrowed my eyes in slight confusion, nudging my head forward, wondering what he meant.

He smiled, repeating again, "You... kick... Pretty hard."

The memory pierced through my brain, making me realize what happened.

I kicked the soccer ball way over the net and I never got to see where it landed.

"I kicked the soccer ball," I started asking, then pointed to his forehead. "To your head?"

He nodded very slowly, reassuring that I was the cause to put the bandaid on his forehead. I closed my eyes, groaning, placing my head in between my legs, bending my entire body down.

"Why do I always manage to do something embarrassing around you?"

I continued whining and he cracked up laughing. He began placing his hands on my shoulders, patting them, as my face was still between my legs.

"It's fine, shouldn't we get used to it now?" He began. "You may not be as perfect as you think."

I glared at him, narrowing my eyes.

He continued, "I'm not trying to say that you're not perfect or anything, I'm just saying, people have flaws. Little miss perfect like you might have some too so you shouldn't be whiney when you do something embarrassing. Everyone does."

I pouted my mouth, lifting myself up to look at him.

"What are you?" I asked. "My teacher, now?"

He chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. I bit my teeth together, rubbing the bandaid on his forehead, asking, "Are you okay?"

Then we only looked at each other, laughing, actually having a decent time together.

Amber


"Amber," Tiffany called as I was staring at Janie and that really handsome guy.

"Amber!" She called again, to make me jump.

"What?" I hissed, while turning around to look at her.

"We're gonna be late for cheerleading. What are you waiting for anyway?"

"You go in first, I'll be there in a second."

Tiffany shook her head, going back inside, as I turned around to stare at Janie and that guy from behind the fence more.

Why were they being so giggly with each other?

How do they even know each other?

The blonde guy was obviously new because I hadn't seen him around before, but how did he even know Janie?

I saw her rubbing his forehead, looking to see if he was hurt and he only stared at her like he had seen an angel or something.

I clenched my teeth together, forming a fist, breathing heavily to myself.

Why does she always manage to ruin my life?

When I lay my eyes on him, she takes him right away.

She must've been so appealing that he risked his own body just to save her from falling down the bleachers. My reason for tripping her was because I wanted her to be embarrassed.

That Miss Perfectionist had something to be embarrassed about.

But someone always came to her rescue.

Everyone just always wanted to help her.

As they continued being sweet with each other, I couldn't help myself but smile.

What if Jackson saw this?

He would go hysterical.

He would so explode.

Janie making sweet eye contact with the handsome new guy?

I would love to see his reaction.

Well, we'll know after I get my camera out.

Janie


"Nathan!" I heard a guy call Nate, after we were sitting on the bleachers for a while. Nate and I immediately pulled away from each other, sitting at a distant from each other.

I looked up, seeing a tall, brunette hair kid in glasses, in his black gym shorts and purple BHHS t-shirt, wearing gray sneakers.

I've seen this kid around school a few times.

Gavin was his name.

But I never really had the chance to talk to him.

My friends considered him as a "nerdy" and "weird" person, so they never really talked to him.

Honestly, I never separate anyone in our school into any particular group or category.

I just think that's way too cliche.

And rude, for a matter of fact.

I try being nice to everyone... I mean, try the best I can to be nice to everyone who treats me normally.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay," He started, coming closer to us. "School's over in like five, dude."

"Yeah, I'm just talking to my..." Nate began talking, then stopped, which made us look at each other.

Stepsister was probably what he was going to say.

"I'm just talking to a friend."

I wandered my eyes towards him, slightly turning my head, letting out a smile.

Gavin nodded, looking at me, so I smiled at him, waving, "Hey Gavin."

"Hey Janie," He replied, lifting his head up a little.

Before standing up, I looked at Nate, concluding with a whisper, "I'll see you at home."

He nodded, so I stood up, wiping the back of my legs to get any dirt off.

I smiled at Gavin once more, but before I walked passed him, Nate stopped me by calling my name. I turned around, questioning, "Hmm?"

"Can you get to the locker room by yourself?"

"I think you need more help than me," I replied, smiling. I turned to Gavin, continuing, "You can help him, right?"

Gavin nodded, with a grin, so I only smiled sympathetically at him. I waved at Gavin once more, beginning to walk backwards, waving at Nate.

He waved at me, so I turned around properly, jogging back to the girls' locker room.

Just when I thought my day could turn bad, Nate always manages to make it better.

--


After riding the local bus back to the corner of my street, I started walking on the sidewalk to get to my house.

As I was walking, I glanced at my watch, seeing that it was already 6:28 in the evening, which means that I had at least an hour or so to do homework, then go downstairs for dinner.

It took me almost ten minutes to reach my house, but I got there quickly by the help from the pop music piercing through my headphones.

When I reached my driveway, I pulled my earphones out, wrapping them around my phone, pulling my backpack strap on my shoulders again.

What caught my attention the most was Nate walking out from the side of the house, with his camera hanging around his neck.

"Ahem," I coughed, very loudly.

He jumped a little, facing towards my direction, so I flashed a smile at him.

Nate went out of the house almost every single day, but I never knew where he went.

And he usually did it when I was in the house.

Probably cause he didn't want me following him, but today, I found him face to face.

He stopped at the side of the house, standing there frozen, so I walked up to him, crossing my arms.

"I've finally caught you on a day where you're actually sneaking out of the house but I can actually see you."

"I'm technically not sneaking out," He answered. "It's not midnight yet."

"Yes, but you never want anyone to know where you're going," I said, trying to make a sarcastic remark. "Explains why you use your window to leave, instead leaving easily by the front door."

He grinned at me, looking down at his shoes.

"Where do you even go?"

"For a stroll," He said, looking back up and holding out his camera. "Go take some photographs, like I normally do."

"But to go at 5:30 in the morning? It must be some view."

"Haven't you gotten used to me by now?"

I smiled, now looking down at my shoes, then wandering my eyes back at him.

"Well," I started. "Mom and your Dad should be back home in an hour or so... so I suggest you come back by 7:30 in time for dinner so I don't have to tell them that you snuck out."

I slightly tapped his shoulders, walking to get to the front door but he called, "Janie."

I stopped at the edge of the walkway, turning around to face him, seeing him stand by his car.

He gulped once, then started, "Do you..."

I didn't cut him off or anything, I just stood there, waiting for him to add to the sentence.

"Do you..." He added. "Do you wanna see where I go?"

"You're offering to take me to where you sneak out to almost every single day?"

He only nodded, smiling at me.

He was asking me to go with him?

That was a first.

I looked at my front door again, scratching my head.

To do homework.

Or go with Nate?

But I think everyone should know what the answer would be.

I grinned, nodding my head, "Sure."

--


"Whoa." I whispered, as I was standing upon one of the most beautiful views I had ever seen before.

A lake.

A gorgeous, large lake with the perfect capture of the sun setting down on the horizon.

It was.

Beautiful.

It was gorgeous.

I heard Nate chuckle, standing next to me, "Now you don't have to wonder where I go almost every single day."

"Wow," I repeated. "And here I thought you were going out to sell drugs or something."

"Do I look like a criminal?" He said. I looked at him to see his eyes were narrowed at me so I only giggled.

"Not particularly," I answered. "Just when you don't smile."

"I'm not the bad guy here."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He stayed very quiet, switching his camera on to take pictures, without answering me.

Ignoring my question, he changed the subject, "I like coming here to think. When I'm here, I don't think my life sucks too much."

"Why do you think your life sucks?"

Nate frowned, making a very upset and disappointed face, bending over to sit down on the dock. After a few seconds, I sat next to him, letting my legs dangle above the water. I looked down at my white canvases, seeing the water wave back and forth.

"I want you to know that I'm not the ignorant, rude person that you think I am."

"Well, I stopped thinking that the moment you kept my chicken nugget." I managed to joke.

That made him smile a bit, linking his hands together on his lap.

"Listen," I began. "I know I talk a lot and come across as a macho, whiney, complaining person but when I want to be there for someone, I really want to try my best to be there for them. If you have problems with your Dad, you can tell me. I told you I was going to make the effort to get to know you and I wasn't lying. I don't know what it is, but I really want to know you... More than this. I will make the effort to understand what you're going through."

"It's not just problems." He said, with a disappointing sigh. "It's just, everything in my life, is problematic."

"How?"

"Just ever since Mom died..."

Ever since Mom died.

His Mom died.

Just like Dad.

I wonder what happened to her.

He continued, "My Dad... I don't even know where to begin."

"What's the problem with Michael?" I asked. "He seems so perfect. There couldn't possibly be anything wrong with him."

"That's the point. He's not perfect. He's the complete opposite from perfect. He's a..."

"What?" I asked, getting very curious.

"Let's just say my life isn't easy." He stated. "Dad makes me live in a bubble. He makes me isolated from the world."

"Does he have his reasons?"

He finally brought the courage to look at me, using two of his fingers to push the side of my forehead. I puckered my mouth at him, whining at him, "What was that for?"

"You wanna get to know me?"

"Yeah, but why did you have to push my head so hard?"

"Don't forget you hit me with a soccer ball today."

I glared at him, crossing my arms, "Chi. Like I did it on purpose. I already apologized."

I looked through his white bandaid, seeing a patch of blood seeping through and my eyes widened, "I hit you that hard that it bled?"

He rolled his eyes upward, trying to see the blood, but couldn't see, so I could only clench my teeth together. I began rubbing his bandaid, apologizing to him repetitively, and he only smiled at me.

"Actually the real story's kind of embarrassing."

"The real story?"

He nodded, giving me a smile, "It's really embarrassing."

"More embarrassing than me hitting you on the head with a soccer ball?"

"Much, much more."

I narrowed my eyes at him, waiting for the story as he continued, "I had a pimple... Right on the spot you hit me on the ball with... So thanks, you helped me popped that pimple."

I cracked up laughing, placing my face between my legs, laughing my butt off as I was staring at the water.

"Oh my god," I said, chuckling, "I don't know which one to categorize as more embarrassing."

I touched the forehead again, making fun of his popped pimple that bled through his fabricated bandaid.

He grabbed my hand, making us meet eyes again, and I felt that spark that I've felt since the first day I've seen him.

And I can't really explain this spark.

I held onto his hand, and his fingers managed to link with mine as we brought it down to place it on the edge of the dock.

For some reason, I didn't let go of him. I just let him hold my hand as he continued to speak, "You said you want to be friends with me, right?"

Not saying anything, I nodded my head aggressively, indicating that I really wanted to be close to him.

"Then can you promise me something?"

"Hmm," I replied, simply, meaning yes.

"Can you promise," He began. "Whatever happens... Doesn't matter when it does... But whenever it does happen... Can you promise that our friendship won't die down?"

"Our friendship?"

He nodded, "Our friendship. Whatever happens to you, I'll be there for you and whatever happens to me, you'll be there for me. No matter what happens, then our friendship will still be a strong friendship."

I only smiled, looking away as our hands were still linked together and he sighed, "Believe it or not. I've wanted to become close to you for the longest time already. But I wasn't sure how to say it."

I glanced back at him, staring at every aspect of his face, looking at him so sympathetically.

I had no idea what to say, so I only pulled up my left hand towards him because I didn't want our hands to unlink with each other.

I held out my pinky finger to him, for him to reassure that I was serious about this friendship.

I never really used the pinky promise to anyone...

Actually.

Correct that.

The only person I ever used the pinky promise with was Dad.

And only Dad.

I promised myself that I would use it again when I wanted to make a real and true promise.

And I was positive I wanted to make this promise with Nate.

I slid my pinky finger towards his right hand, smiling, "Pinky promise that we'll keep our friendship strong."

"Pinky promise?"

I nodded, as he continued asking, "Isn't that elementary school stuff?"

"Not particularly," I shrugged. "I mean, you can assure it with me because the only person I ever used it with was Dad. And I promised him that I will never use it with anyone else."

"And you're using it with me?"

"So you know that I'm very sincere about this promise."

He looked at me, not sure if he should grab my pinky, because he looked very hesitated.

After a few seconds of fidgeting, he sighed, "If it assures our friendship, then... Why not." He pulled his hand up, bending all of his fingers down except for his pinky.

I grinned, nudging my pinky towards his as he wrapped his pinky around mine very tightly, making me smile even wider.

Our hands were still linking and our pinkies were wrapped around each other, making our promises.

Safe to say finally the start of something new.
♠ ♠ ♠
I try making my chapters short, but it's so difficult.

Anyways, please comment and lemme know what you think :D

Thank you to many grams, MRGF123, kalopsia, call of the wild, party, gorgak, marauderette and insulus for all the comments! (: