Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Raise Your Glass

(Kay’s POV)

I couldn’t tell how many drinks I had gulped down, but the one free drink Tony offered us had turned into a dozen or so drinks paid for by none other than Bam Margera. Not that I was complaining. Free drinks were easy to come by when you were a young and attractive woman in the middle of a bar full of men. The only downfall of the whole situation was that he hung out with us and flirted with Aimee the entire time.

The band had stopped playing over an hour ago and yet we hadn’t moved from our spots at the bar. The band, Lacrimas Profundere, had joined us not long after their set had been completed and were still surrounding us with their banter and laughs. Bam drank from his beer while Aimee was twirling the whiskey in her glass. She hadn’t drunk as much liquor as I had, but mostly I was trying to avoid watching she and Bam make eyes at one another. Not only that, but I also had an unwanted guest at our little gathering… Chad decided to make an appearance in the balcony.

He hadn’t said one word to me the entire thirty three minutes he’d been on his stool drinking from his Jack Daniels bottle. His dark eyes were continuously sliding in my direction, but once I noticed him looking at me, he’d quickly look away with a smirk on his face. It was clear he thought he was being cute, but all it did was irritate me. Grumbling under my breath, I put the glass to my lips only to have a wave of liquor hit my tongue. The strength of the alcohol almost choked me, but I refused to be weak in front of the man who embarrassed me earlier in the evening.

A song I vaguely knew came on the club’s speakers while the late night drinkers continued their goal of getting plastered. Grabbing my drink I walked to the edge of the balcony and glanced down to the main level. People were dancing by the stage. Some, even though security looked peeved, were dancing on the empty stage as well. I glanced over my shoulder at the bar where Aimee and Bam were still in deep conversation. It was clear we’d be here longer than I expected to be. Sighing to myself, I decided to go keep myself entertained. It was possible that I might even find some unsuspecting guy to flirt with. Chad looked at me from across the room and I frowned. I’d find some other guy to flirt with… He wasn’t getting the time of day.

Walking down the stairs to the now dance floor I gripped the railing to keep from falling in the heels I wore. I wasn’t coordinated on my best days and after a few drinks I was sure to be much worse. Once on solid ground again, I took a sip of my whiskey before twirling into the crowd with the rest of the dancers.

Pink’s song “Raise Your Glass” pumped through the room and I let my body move to the beat. It was a much needed distraction. I had to work once we returned to New York and I didn’t want to remember all of the drama and shit I had to deal with once back there. Plus having Chad upstairs waiting for my return so he could stare some more put me on edge.

The song changed and some people left the floor, but I didn’t care. I could be out there all night by myself and I would keep dancing. I hadn’t realized someone was standing there watching me until I paused to take a sip of my alcohol. The guy was attractive, but definitely not the kind of guy I usually went for. (The kind of guy I went for was upstairs trying to annoy me, but he’d never know that.) He had light brown hair that was stuck up in such a way that it was obvious it was on purpose. He wore a long sleeved Henley shirt with the top few buttons open. A pair of loose fitting jeans and a pair of dark sneakers completed the outfit. I couldn’t tell what color his eyes were in the light, but I imagined they were dark in color.

I flashed a bright smile his way. It must have been enough of an invitation for him because the next moment he walked over to where I stood. His gaze raked over my outfit before he spoke.

“Do you mind if I join you?” He asked over the blare of the music. Katy Perry was playing now and it made me want to dance again.

I nodded, not wanting to scream over the speakers. I didn’t wait for him to make the first move. I grabbed his free hand and pulled him to me. Shock went over his face at my forwardness before it was quickly replaced with a smirk. It was obvious he thought I was wasted… maybe I was a little. But I just needed the distraction and he was willing enough to give it to me. I was unaware of how much he was willing to give me that night.

I wasn’t sure how long we were dancing like that, but the next thing I knew we weren’t moving at all. His arms were still around my waist and he was staring down at me. I blushed when I realized how close we were and how provocatively we’d been dancing. The memory of earlier in the night with Chad flashed back through my mind and I realized this was the second guy during the night to give me a lustful look. The first was still in the balcony waiting for me to return.

Swallowing back my nervousness, I smiled at him. “I’m Kay.”

I didn’t need this random guy to think I was a girl who usually did this. Giving him a sweet smile, I waited for him to respond.

The guy raised his eyebrows up slightly and his cute smirk appeared again. “I’m Josh.”

“Nice to meet you Josh.” I said before moving out of his arms. He was too close and it made me feel slightly claustrophobic. Besides, I didn’t need anyone to see me with him, let alone Aimee. “I have to go find my friend since I’m technically here with her, but maybe I’ll see you around.”

As I headed for the balcony once more, I thought I heard him say, “I hope so.”

***

The drive back to New York the next day was quiet and slightly awkward. Neither Aimee nor I talked about our experiences at the Note or the guys whom had spent their nights flirting with us. She didn’t know about Chad or Josh and I was going to keep it that way. I didn’t need her telling everyone about it or it getting back to my ex-boyfriend. I was still dealing with that drama and didn’t need to add to it.

“You’re awfully quiet this morning.” Aimee stated as she drove down the Interstate. “Did you drink a little too much or are you pissed about something?”

“I’m not pissed. You know I drank way more than normal.” I said with my head leaning against the closed window. Grumbling, I continued, “I really don’t want to talk about it.”

“That makes two of us.” Aimee said quietly, but I heard her. I knew what she didn’t want to talk about and I didn’t press it. If I kept quiet about Bam, maybe she wouldn’t bother me about what I did all night.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and tried to ignore the sounds of CKY drifting through the speakers of the car. The last thing I needed was to be reminded of the night before.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to give a shout out to KillJoySynner for her recommendation and her comment. We really appreciate it!