Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Overrated

(Kay’s POV)

After we managed to usher Clubby and Aimee out of the bank, I glanced over at Amid with a look of defeat. I’d been having a tough time since returning and all I wanted to do was hide in my apartment. Being in the public as I was with my job made me anxious and it was starting to wear me down. Having friends like Clubby wasn’t helping my anxiety either.

“What’s wrong buttercup?” Amid said with a frown on his face. Whenever I got upset, he tended to feel it too. It was like we were twin sisters… well not really considering he was a guy from India and I was a white country girl. Our height difference was huge as well. Amid reached over six feet while I was just barely pushing five. But we were still twins… Let’s just say no one questioned it.

“Why me?” I said with a shake of my head. I didn’t want to talk about the real reason I was upset so I came up with something that bothered me anyway. “Why am I the one with the insane friends?”

“You aren’t the only one who has to deal with Heather. You weren’t here for the entire charade. She was bothering the customers and I don’t think any of them will be the same again.” Amid said with a grin. It was clear that he enjoyed seeing other people uncomfortable in Heather’s presence. You could say it made him feel better about his predicament with the crazy one.

I couldn’t help, but laugh. Amid was right. At least I knew what to expect. Those poor people in the lobby when Heather came in… they didn’t have a chance.

“I know you, pumpkin.” Amid said in his serious tone, using another one of the many nicknames the man had for me. “It’s not just Heather that’s bothering you although she’d be enough on any normal day. You’ve been this way since you came back to work.”

A customer decided to make an appearance at that moment and while I was helping the elderly woman, I felt Amid watching me closely. He could read me like a book and I hated it at times. It was nearly impossible to keep secrets from the guy. I began to prepare myself for the question and answer session I was about to embark on.

Once the door closed behind the customer and we were alone again in the spacious bank, I turned to face him since there was no way I was getting away clear. “What did you want to know?”

Giving me a stern look, he replied, “I want to know what is bothering you. You aren’t your chipper self.”

I rolled my eyes at the comment, but decided to answer truthfully. “Well… I met a guy.”

Amid’s eyes almost bulged out of his head. “What?! And you are deciding to tell me this now? What the hell buttercup?”

“I didn’t tell you because he lives in Pennsylvania. At least I think he does.” I wasn’t entirely sure on that part.

Amid looked at me skeptically. “You think? You met some guy and don’t know where he lives.”

“Hey!” I snapped defensively. “I was drunk and there was dancing. You can’t blame me for that.”

“Ah.” Amid smiled widely as if he knew something I didn’t. “Say no more.”

I crossed my arms and pouted. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“You’re a dance whore.” Amid said seriously, but I could see the playful glint in his eyes. “It explains everything.”

“I am not!”

“Let’s look at this objectively: You dance with guys and never learn their names. See? Dance whore.” Amid pretended to be interested in something on the computer screen and I glared at him.

“I know his name. It’s Josh.” I said smugly. I knew I had made a mistake when Amid had a devilish look on his face.

“Josh? Alert the media! Kay is serious about this one!”

I grumbled under my breath.

“So when do I get to meet this hunk of a guy you actually danced with and know the name of?” Amid said like the ass he was.

“I’m not getting into a relationship with some guy I met once.”

“Why not? Jaimie does.” He said as if that was all it took.

“And look where that got her. Single motherhood and no way out of this relationship with her ex.” I was being a bitch and knew it, but I hated talking about my love life… or lack of it as it was.

“Just try it once. You might find it might help you out.” Amid suggested with a wink.

“Relationships are overrated. I’d rather be a dance whore.”

“If you say so, buttercup.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to the real Amid! I love you cupcake!