Land of the Dead

Chapter 1

Brooklyn laughed into the tangy sea-side air. It tasted of summer and freedom and the first happiness in a long time. The tall red-head beside her blushed and took a nibble from a large wad of fluorescent blue cotton candy. The salty breeze whipped Addison's hair about her face before swiftly changing directions and sending the fluffy sugar back in her face.

Brooklyn laughed again, but stopped at the expression on Addison's delicate features. Her lip quivered and her eyes grew wide, but when Brooklyn reached out a comforting caress, Addison stuck out her tongue. The two girls laughed once more and intertwined their fingers. They were together, and they were happy. Neither even took notice that they were the sole beings on the sand on that warm summer day.

But when the seagulls began to cry in alarm and flew frantically to the sky, the girls noticed the temperature had dropped dramatically. The puffy, cotton-like clouds grew first a dark gray, but soon became a sickly purple-green color, much like a fresh bruise. The clean air was replaced by the ominous stench of death and decaying meat.

"Brooklyn ..." Addison whispered like a mouse. Her voice had risen several octaves in terror.

"Hand me your knife," Brooklyn said through the side of her mouth. From within her flowery sun dress, Addison withdrew a large hunting knife with trembling hands. "Get behind me!" Brooklyn shouted as shadows began to emerge from behind the surrounding buildings.

The creatures were all around them -- silent with jerky, unnatural movements. As Brooklyn took one final look around, she realized something was missing and her hand clutched empty air. In one movement the creatures descended, and oh God, everything was black!

Then nothing ...

Image


Brooklyn gasped and sat straight up, fighting off her imaginary attackers. Her breathing slowed when she caught sight of Addison curled up in the corner for warmth. Their shelter wasn't much: an old shed long forgotten and crumbling from neglect. It seemed the only creatures that had taken up residence here were spiders, happily covering every nook and cranny with their delicate webs. The boards had separated, letting sunlight in, but also giving a home to every particle of dirt that flew by. The night before it had seemed safe; comfortable. But with the memory of the dream on her mind, Brooklyn felt a chill. She often had nightmares, but this was something else.

Brooklyn wasn't the type to dwell on the past. It wasn't much more positive than her present anyway. But she wasn't one to race for the future either. To her, the present was what mattered. Obsessing about the past or the future didn't keep them alive. Being aloof and wary and cold did. For a long time she had lived like that; alone, only worrying about herself. But when she stumbled upon Addison, half starved and tripping over herself through the streets, something changed. A part of her opened up to this strange, innocent girl.

Addison, on the other hand, wasn't the type to let things go. As Brooklyn put it, she was too sensitive for her own good. Too sensitive for both of them really. Where Brooklyn refused to look back, Addison couldn't let her past go. That's why they were here now. Searching for Addison's parents who were more than likely long Dead. It had been years since she'd seen them, but she refused to give up the hope that they were alive. And despite her constant belligerence, Brooklyn secretly admired Addison's ability to remain positive.

Brooklyn gently nudged the sleeping girl before stooping to gather the salt that surrounded their sleeping area. After collecting as much as possible, she nudged Addison again; she definitely wasn't much of a morning person. "C'mon babe, we need to get going. If we don't find more food soon I'm going to start eating these spiders." When that didn't provoke a reaction Brooklyn rolled her eyes, "Or you might have to eat them ..."

Without missing a beat, Addison hopped up, "Ready!"

Brooklyn ran her tongue along her front teeth, "Figures." They gathered up their small camp and scavenged the shed for anything useful. The pickings were meager, but beggars can't be choosers. Brooklyn stood impatiently outside the door as Addison did a routine prayer. Never had Brooklyn been a religious person, and the Apocalypse only strengthened her resolve. No "loving God" would make people suffer like this. But Addison had been raised in a devoutly religious household and old habits were hard to break. Her non-stop prayers --as annoying as they they were-- made a small price to pay to keep the girl around. Although some may have claimed it was a survival tactic, the girls were unquestionably in love; had been since they first met.

They may not have been able to repopulate the Earth, but they had each other and that was all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
To my first three subscribers, you guys are amazing!
I hope you like the first chapter :D