Note to Self

First Impressions Mean Everything

Isabel walked nervously up to the house she would soon know as home. The first thing her aunt Teresa had warned her about was that to these people, first impressions were everything. She had worn only natural colours for her make up and had let her dyed black hair fall onto her shoulders, she was wearing plain blue jeans and a white t-shirt with a brown jacket; she hadn’t felt this uncomfortable in years. She held her small suitcase in her hand and soon got to the front door. Once she had rung the doorbell, she heard the sound of running footsteps and then the door swung open to reveal a 15-year-old boy.

“Oh, hi, can I help you?” He asked confused as his straight brown hair framed his face.

“I’m the new cleaner,” Isabel stated nervously.

“Oh right, come in,” He uttered and ushered her in.

“Dad!” He shouted into the house and soon a middle-aged man walked out of the kitchen.

“The new cleaner’s here,” He pointed out before running back upstairs.

“Oh hi, I’m Andy and that was Ryan, my son,” He said and put his hand out to shake hers as a friendly gesture.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Isabel,” She said nervously and shook his hand. The doorbell rang out again making Isabel jump before Ryan came running down the stairs again.

“Don’t run in the house,” Andy said sternly and Ryan just rolled his eyes before opening the door.

“Hey Bren! We’ll be in my room dad,” Ryan said before racing off up the stairs with his friend.

“He never listens,” Andy sighed.

“Teenagers, they’re all the same,” Isabel said with a small smile, which Andy mirrored.

“Anyway, I’ll give you a tour of the house and your working schedule,”

“Alright,” She said and grabbed her case.

“Well you’ll work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday starting at 9am each morning. Friday and Sunday will be your days off. I expect you to clean two rooms each working day and then after you’ve done the two rooms you can finish for the day. Also if someone is at the door, we expect you to answer it unless told not to do so,” Andy said whilst he showed her around the bottom floor which contained a kitchen, living room, bathroom, dining room and the hallway and then they headed upstairs.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how much do I get paid?” Isabel asked shyly.

“Well I’ll pay you £20 a day and you’ll get your pay check every first Sunday of the month,”

“Right, up here is my room, Ryan’s room, two bathrooms, a study, Rosa’s room and finally you’re room,” He said and opened her bedroom door for her. She could tell this family had money if they could spend that much money on their cleaner’s room.

“Will I be cooking all meals?” She asked.

“Oh no. We’ve got a cook, Rosa, who will take care of food, and we’ve got a gardener, Edward, who comes each day as well,”

“Right okay,”

“Well don’t feel a stranger to roam around the house and get to know your surroundings, I’ll be downstairs. Obviously you don’t have to work today but tomorrow will be your first day. Oh and if you want a drink or something to eat in-between meal times, just go into the kitchen and help yourself,” He said with a smile.

“Well anyway, I’ll leave you to unpack,” He said with a smile and left the room and shut the door behind him.

“Home sweet home I guess,” Isabel sighed softly to herself and put her suitcase onto her bed where she started to unpack. She laughed as she looked into her wardrobe; half of it was the clothes she would be wearing to clean in and the other half was the clothes she normally wore. Once she had fully unpacked all of her stuff, she grabbed her mobile off of the side and dialled her aunt’s number.

“Hello?” Her aunt's shaking voice asked as the phone clicked.

“Hey, it’s me,” Isabel said with a small smile, even if the woman couldn't see it.

“Oh Izzy darling, have you settled in?”

“Yes thank you. How are you feeling?”

“Oh I’m fine, just feeling tired, but they said that would be one of the affects,”

“Good, well I’m going to be able to pay the money gradually,”

“Oh darling, don’t worry about that,”

“I want to do this for you,” Isabel said with another small smile playing across her lips.

“You’re all heart, just like your parents were,” Teresa said with pride in her voice.

“You’re a good child,” She added, smiling.

“I’d better let you get some rest, I’ll try and visit you on my day off,”

“Take care sweetie,”

“And you,” She said before hanging up and collapsing back onto the bed; tomorrow was sure going to be a busy day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are oxygen :)

To anyone that has read my other stories, i know i shouldn't be writing another new story as i haven't updated my other ones in a while but i have a slight writers block on some of them, on others, i just can't bring myself to write. And i started writing this one last year so it was already written ^^.