Note to Self

Meeting Rosa

Isabel awoke to her small alarm clock blaring. At seeing it was 6am and the sun had only just risen, she wanted to turn over and go back to sleep but then again, she didn’t want to lose her job in her first few days. She groggily pulled herself out of bed and went down the hall and had a quick shower before heading back to her room and getting changed into some jeans and an old band t-shirt before heading downstairs to get some breakfast. When she entered the kitchen, she was surprised to see an older woman stood at the cooker.

“Oh, you must be Isabel, the new cleaner,” She said in a caring voice once she had noticed the young girl.

“Yes, are you Rosa?”

“The one and only. Would you like some breakfast? You looked starving,” Rosa asked with a soft smile.

“Oh, thank you,”

“So do you want some information on the family, before you start working for them properly?” She asked and started to cook some eggs whilst Isabel sat down at the table.

“Um, okay,” She said shyly and Rosa smiled sweetly at her and placed the eggs down in front of her before sitting at the opposite side of the table.

“Well I’m fifty, I’ve been working here for ten years and I know a lot about this family. I don’t know what happened to Andy’s wife though, he’s never talked about her. Anyway, Andy’s nice enough and he’ll help you with everything you need, it’s Ryan you have to watch out for,”

“The kid?” Isabel asked in disbelief as she tucked into her eggs.

“The fifteen year old teenager,” Rosa corrected.

“See you’re unlucky, the summer holiday have only just started and you’re going to have to put up with him every single day, but don’t let me put you off, I’m just warning you. Anyway, he’ll probably try and get you fired or he’ll try and drive you out. I think I’ve only lasted because I’ve been here since he was five years old. Andy’s at work seven days a week so there is little discipline in him,”

“He does seem a little… spoilt,” Isabel commented, trying to pick her words carefully.

“That he is. And he’s got a very dirty mouth, you should hear some of the things he says to his father, it’s disgraceful,” Rosa said and tutted slightly.

“Well anyway it’s nearly 7, Andy will be up to go to work soon.”

“Thanks for the heads up about Ryan,” Isabel said with a genuine smile.

“It’s alright. You seem a nice girl, but may I ask how old you are?”

“19.”

“Oh, dear, why’d you pick such a job at such a young age?” Rosa asked shocked slightly.

“My aunt is my carer and she fell ill a while back so I’ve dropped out of college and I’m doing anything I can to get the money for her treatment,” Rosa smiled thoughtfully and patted her shoulder.

“She’ll be alright sweetie, you’ll be able to get the money,” Rosa said and they heard movement upstairs.

“Well that’ll be Andy, I’d best be getting his breakfast on.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are love <3