Status: In progress. Updates when I get the chance.

Cross My Heart

Beach Beeotch

“Amanda’s looking at me funny.” I whispered to Josh as we walked out of the school at lunch.
“What do you mean?” Josh looked around, trying to find Amanda in the crowd. She was sitting at a stone picnic table with Steve and Brett. The look on her face said something along the lines of “why is that big fat turd wearing glasses?”
“Look at her.” I nodded in her general direction, so she wouldn’t see.
“She’s a bitch, just ignore her.” He said, squeezing my hand.
“She used to be okay…before we started dating…” I swear to god, a light bulb popped up over my head. “Amanda likes you! That’s her problem!” I said, and then burst out laughing.
“Well, she invited us to the beach this weekend.” He said matter-of-factly.
“’Us’ or ‘You’?” I asked, raising an eye brow at him as we began heading towards the 7-11.
“Us…Well, me.” He said when I raised my eyebrow at him. “But if I’m going so are you.”
“I have no say?”
“None at all.” We walked in silence for a while. Josh and I bought slurpees and began heading back to school before the next class started.
“So how’s Lisa doing?” He asked, sipping on his Pepsi slurpee.
“Good, she’s coming home tonight.” I said. Lisa had been in the hospital for three days now, today being Monday. Huh, that’s why it sucked so much.
“I wont come over then, give you guys your time.”
“You know she considers you her son.” I lifted an eye brow.
“I also know my dad grounded me last night.” He blushed a little. I rolled my eyes.
“What did you do?”
“I might have crawled in the wrong window at 3 AM.” He rubbed the back of his head and blushed deeper.
“And why were you out at three AM?” I asked.
“Are you my mother?” Josh raised his eyebrow at me and gave a smile I could tell was forced. Sometimes he seemed to forget how well I knew him.
This was odd, Josh said the words playfully, but I could hear the need to change the subject deep down. Something was off; he never dodged my questions like this.
“Hey! Look its Matt!” Josh succeeded in changing the subject by pointing out Matt walking towards us.
**
It was Saturday and Lisa was still in the hospital. They said it was just precaution that they needed to run some more tests. But Adam had come home crying Tuesday night. Wednesday he came home with a bottle of Jack in his right hand and a pipe in his left. (Author* weed is legal in Canada, kids) Thursday he didn’t come home at all. Friday…well, Friday he stumbled in and went straight for his room, passing out drunk. Something was wrong, and no one would tell me what.
In the land of Josh, Tuesday he skipped school and I didn’t hear from him at all. Wednesday he skipped also, but at least popped his head in my window late at night to see me. Thursday he came to school, looking odd. There was a red ring around his eyes and he didn’t look quite…there. Like the lights were on, but no one was home. Friday he came to school, all happy-go-lucky Josh.
Today, I woke at 6AM to josh jumping on my bed and yelling “WAKE UP SLEEPING BEAUTY ITS TIME TO FACE THE DAY!”
I moaned and rolled over. Josh had stayed over night at my house. He had done that many times since we started dating. Lisa knew that – us being 17 and been dating for 6 months – we had slept together already, but still only let Josh stay over with the condition that he sleep on the floor. He usually didn’t, but with the situation with Lisa he had followed her rule, even though she wasn’t home.
“Come on! Beach day! Beach day!” Josh was way to happy for six AM, I decided as he jumped off the bed and started dancing. I threw my pillow at him.
Josh threw the pillow back down on my bed and lay next to me, propping his head on his hand. “You really wanna miss all this” he gestured to himself “In swim trunks?”
“At 6AM? I’ll pass.” I rolled over and faced the wall.
Josh grabbed my shoulder and forced me down on my back, straddling me to the bed. “I could just make you, ya know?” He threatened with a smile. I couldn’t help but laugh.
“Mmm, that’s dirty.” I laughed.
“I think it was supposed to be like that.” He silenced my laugh with a kiss. “But seriously, get up, get dressed, we gotta leave soon.” He pulled away from me.
“Ten more minuets?” I asked, holding his shirt so he couldn’t crawl off of me.
“Of what, sleep or kissing because your not letting me move.” He looked down to my hand on his shirt and back to me.
“You pick.” I said with a flirty smile. He sighed and kissed me again. It only lasted about thirty seconds instead of my requested ten minuets before he pulled away and said “Get up.” He crawled off of me before I could complain.
“Fine!” I complained and rolled out of bed. “What do I need to do?” I asked Josh from the floor.
“Get dressed.” He sighed. “I’ll make you some coffee if it will make you move faster.”
“Yay! Caffeine!” I jumped up from the floor.
*
“She hates me…I swear to god, she loathes the very ground I walk upon.” I leaned on Josh at the beach; the cold spray of the ocean was freezing me to death in my cut off shorts and bikini top. I looked over to Amanda, who was talking to Brett, giving me an evil eye over her shoulder.
“What would you like me to do about it?” Josh asked, for the past while he had been entertaining himself by playing with my hair, now he moved to leaving a trail of kisses up my neck, then back down and across my shoulder.
“Illegal things.” I said with an evil smile.
“Tisk tisk.” Josh scolded me, continuing to kiss me.
“Meh.” I said as I shivered from yet another cold spray of water. “Where’s your sweater?” I asked Josh.
“I’m my car, in the parking lot.” He said. “Which requires you leaving me for like, five minuets. Your not allowed heat right now.” He said, I could feel a smile spread across his lips.
I sighed and got up. Josh faked being heart broken as I made my way towards where I knew his car was parked.
I opened the back seat door and began fishing through the stuff in the back, searching for the black hoodie he had been wearing earlier in the morning.
“He’s never gonna stay with you.” A familiar, yet annoying voice spoke from behind me.
“What do you want, Amanda?” I turned from the car to stare her down.
“Do you know where he’s been the past week?” She asked, ignoring my question.
“Who, Josh?” I asked. I decided to lie, not let her see that I had no clue. “Of course.”
“Pfft, you’re a lying bitch. Now I see why he needs to let it out sometimes.”
“What’s your problem, may I ask?”
“Before…you…came along, I had a best friend. I had a boyfriend. I was popular!” she almost screamed at me.
“I didn’t do anything!” I told her. “Just because your friends decided you weren’t worth it doesn’t mean I caused it.”
“But you did!” She actually stomped her foot. It took a lot of will power not to laugh. “Shaun was my best friend. I introduced her to Matt and now she barely talks to me! Josh loved me! You ruined my perfect life!” She screamed. “Now I’m stuck hanging out with Brett and Steve! Their such dorks!”
“Are we really?” Amanda turned to see Brett, Steve and Josh standing behind her.
“Manda, I broke up with you because you’re a bitch Phoenix just happened to be there.” Josh walked over to me and grabbed my hand.
“You love me! You love me and you know it!” She screamed at him.
“C’mon, let’s leave.” Josh whispered in my ear. I nodded and ran around to the passenger side of his car. I could still hear Amanda screamed as we pulled out of the parking lot. I felt like crap, so I figured why not?As I held my hand out the window and raised my middle finger at Amanda.