The Plan

Get Your Ass To California

“Andy, I’m going to fucking kill you, give me my fucking phone back!” I screamed.

I chased the bassist around the merch table, my purple hair in a messy bun and my rage obvious on my face. He laughed and held it high as he ran before I tackled him. He fell into a wall and turned to grab me so I wouldn’t fall.

“I’ll give it back if you kiss me,” he chirped. I rolled my eyes and leaned in. Right before my lips touched his, I plucked the phone out of his hand and bounced away. He followed after me angrily before Mike stepped in.

“She’s trying to plan a surprise here! Leave her alone,” he said. I smiled up at him and then returned to the table to pin up more shirts.

“Thank you Mike, you’re the best,” I said. Andy mimicked me before attaching himself to my hips again, hugging me from behind. I managed to pin up the last few shirts and tuck the boxes under the table. I finished setting up early today so that the surprise would be better.

It was July in San Diego, California. My best friend Simone, whom I never met, was standing in line outside. It had been confirmed by one of the opening bands. I made my way cautiously to the back, looking over my shoulder constantly.

I sat in front of a mirror to straighten my hair. I had been texting Simone all day, asking about arrival times, if she was excited, etc. Now it was down to minutes before I’d be meeting her. Mike sat next to me, pretzel-style on the floor, watching my hair get straight.

“Ready?” he asked, when it was time to go. I bit my lip. It couldn’t wait any longer. It was the fourth night of the tour and the band had lots of interviews. I nodded and stood up with him. We walked through the empty venue. Hundreds of kids would be in here later, watching my friends onstage.

Screams erupted when Mike walked out. Fangirls were annoying when you were with the band. Other people pointed and whispered. We ignored everyone though, walking side by side until I saw her. It was one of the best moments of my entire life.

“Hi Simone, I’m Mike,” Mike said. I could see her and her friend Julia’s incredulous faces. I popped my head over his shoulder before either of them could say anything. When her eyes landed on me, my heart swelled with happiness.

“Kelly?” she asked quietly, “Oh my fucking God, it’s you!”

I launched myself at her, hugging her tightly. We laughed and blubbered and I almost cried and then I introduced Mike and she hugged him and everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. We ushered her and Julia into the venue and then backstage. They met all of the bands with ease, star struck in small doses.

“Kelly, how did you do this?” Simone asked as we stood behind the merch table.

“I’ve been talking to Mike for a while now. I met him in September of last year. And you’re looking at TDWP’s new merch girl,” I said proudly. She shook her head, eyes open in amazement. At that moment Andy walked by, slapping my ass and winking at Simone.

“You are so lucky! I can’t believe you never told me,” she said. I folded a shirt and then looked up at her through my bangs. Her blonde hair flowed over her shoulder and a smile lit up her face.

“I have big plans for you m’dear, very big plans.”

My name is Kelly Veneziano and I just met my best friend.