Status: working~

Unfortunate Career

In Meeting

It was a usual night. Average.

The cold was stinging my thighs, but I knew it was worth it because the colder I got now, the sooner I'd be warm again.

There was another girl standing beside me, a 'friend' you could say. Though the only thing we had in common were our careers.

I had been leaning up against the brick building behind me, just breathing in a long drag from the cigarette dangling from my lips. But when a low, shiny, red car pulls around this corner with the top down in this weather, and that slowly, you knew what they were on that street for.

I quickly stomped the cigarette into the sidewalk and popped a piece of gum in my mouth; a lot of the clientele didn't like the smell of cigarettes much.

The blonde next to me sauntered up first when the car stopped. I just stood back for now, keeping my hands behind my back.

In this world you let the blondes go first to avoid being rejected too many times.

They add up fast, trust me.

The man shook his head, then pointed in my direction. I think the girl might've said something because the man then nodded and made a shooing motion with his hand.

Finally the day comes when the brunette gets the job.

He curled his finger at me, you know the whole 'come hither' thing.

I walked up to the car and leaned on the door.

"Hey hun, I got a friend back home, it's his birthday you see, and me and the rest of the guys think it'd be nice if he had some fun. Finally relax, he's been working really hardly lately," the whole time he was talking I could see him glancing behind me at the blonde. Guess she's still going to get work tonight. Damn.

And by how he said his friend was working hard, I somehow got the impression of some stuck up douche. Great.

Work is work though; money is money.

~

The man had me get in his car, then after whispering something to blondie that made her giggle, we drove off. We drove maybe 10 blocks at most, but in L.A. that was still pretty far.

We eventually stopped behind a warehouse-like building. Shit.

I really hope nothing's going to go wrong here.

"Come on hun," he climbed out of the car and started walking towards the building.
I followed after quickly, because if something bad was going to happen. I might as well get it over with.

He had his hand on the door handle and I could already hear faint music with people talking.

Really arguing, I'm sure, because someone was yelling; a lot.

"Let me calm 'em down real quick, 'kay sweetheart?"

"Go right ahead, I don't mind waiting at all," I grinned sweetly.

"Knew I picked a good one," he winked and slipped inside.

I rolled my eyes at the closed door and waited.

The talking had stopped except for the guy who brought me here, but music was still playing.

Then someone yelled again, making the guy reply, the yeller then, growled?

The guy opened the door again and said, "Alright hun, go ahead and come in now."
I said thanks when he actually held open the door for me, and looked around.

Smoke filled part of the air around a couch and table set up in the middle of the building. Of course there are other things around, including a metal stair case near the wall leading up to a metal landing.

There were both guys and girls sitting around, a couple on the floor, and all of them tangled up with each other. Each girl blonde, each guy huge.

Except for a more slim man sitting on the half of the couch, that didn't have smoke around it, scowling off into space with a chocolate bar in hand, clad head to toe in leather.

"What was your name?" the guy who brought me here asked me.

"Violet," it was my real name, but only my first, and that was all they were going to get for now.

Even I was aware of the whole Kira thing going on.

"Ah yo! Mello!" he yelled at the man eating the chocolate.

"What the fuck do you want!" He growled.

Jeesh, rawr much?

The man still standing beside me laughed then said, "Well, obviously, I found I nice brunette for 'ya; I know how you're weird and actually like them," He looked over me,head to toe. "Can't really see the appeal though, sorry hun."

"If it means you guys'll get out and leave me alone then I'm fine with it. But if you actually expect me to spend a night with anyone, every single one of you better get the fuck out," Mello practically growled again.

"Alright guys," he laughed, "let's go ahead and get out, Mello won't be able to have fun if we don't I guess," he laughed again.

Everyone got up and exited through the door, some rolling their eyes. The guy who brought me here leaving last, still laughing as he closed the door.

I walked over behind the couch Mello was sitting on and loosely wrapped my arms around his shoulders.

I had to hold in a sigh, time for work.

"I hate those stupid idiots," he mumbled taking another bite of chocolate.

"But aren't they your friends?" I asked tilting my head sideways.

"Barely," he sighed. "Now come on, just sit on the couch," I walked over and sat on the couch next to him like he told me to, "I'll still pay you I guess, but I really don't want to do anything," he took another bite from the chocolate, then leaned his head back and closed his eyes, "I really don't. Want to do anything," he trailed off.

I turned my head again, "Why what's wrong?"

"Something, happened, one year ago."

"May I ask what happened?"

"Maybe if you want a black eye."

I actually reared back at that one.

He tossed the chocolate bar into the space between us then leaned forward, plunging his hands into his blond hair and resting his elbows on his knees.

"Fuck, it was so bad. I'm sorry if I lash out, okay? Just know that it's not your fault," he mumbled.

I twisted my lips to the side, I think I know what happened.

I reached forward and patted his back, "It's not your fault either," I mumbled.

"You don't even know what happened."

I dropped my hand back into my lap and tangled it with my other.

"I think I do. You needed a close friend to do something, but when he set out to do it, he got hurt. And by looking at you, maybe killed. It's not your fault, if they were your closest friend, they would've done anything for you. And right now they're looking at you wishing that you wouldn't be blaming yourself, that they wanted to do it and had been prepared for anything. I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me," I explained.

"I miss them," I heard him whisper.

I took a deep breath, "I miss them too."

Then there was an inexplicable moment where we both said, at the same time, "But it was all my fault."
♠ ♠ ♠
new story... so? what do you think? :) sorry for any errors I may have missed <3