‹ Prequel: Fuel to the Fire

If I Only Had The Heart

Chapter 8

“Mom, you’ll never guess who I saw!”

“Oprah?” she said, not really paying attention. I rolled my eyes. “It was a joke, honey!”

“Yeah, whatever. Anyway, you’ll never guess who I saw!”

“Who?”

“Guess!” I said excitedly.

“Lauren? Trey? Halvo?”

I shook my head at each name.

“Seriously, that’s the best you can come with? Okay, so, I saw Jamie…”

“Jamie Crigger? Your ex-boyfriend?”

I nodded.

“Really? How is he? Is he still pretty? He’s such a good boy.”

“Whoa, easy there. I gave him my number; he said he’ll come when he can.”

“Who?” Tim said, coming into the room, followed by Abbey.

“Jamie” me and my mom replied at the same time.

“Who’s Jamie?” Abbey asked.

“Leigh’s first boyfriend” Tim teased with a smirk; the jerk.

“Ah, I know who’s this! And I know why Leigh was dating him.”

“Why?” Tim asked confused. Abbey just smiled and winked at me, making me roll my eyes.

So, Jamie stopped by, my family saw him, he met Abbey - when we began to date, she and Tim had broken up already. And… I had nothing to complain about. My parents liked to see him again and we had fun. Jamie came for lunch and even spent the evening with us; it was good. I felt like a teenager again, making stupid jokes and laughing at the nothing. Around 5:30, Jamie had to go to work, which surprised me. Jamie and work? He’s always been as lazy as me! But people change; I did and so did he.

“Where do you work?” I asked Jamie, as we walked to his car.

“In a record shop.”

I grinned.

“A record shop… I like record shops.”

“Yeah, I know it” Jamie chuckled, then took a card out of his pocket “here’s the address. Come visit us when you can.”

I picked the car, eyeing it; the place wasn’t too far.

“Are you free this weekend?” Jamie asked suddenly and I nodded. “We could go out sometime… like the movies or something? Star Wars 3D, you know…”

“Ew, no Star Wars” I replied.

“But I thought you loved Star Wars” Jamie sounded confused.

“I like Star Wars, but I’ve seen it already” plus, it reminds me of Garrett… “here’s an idea: why we don’t stay home and watch Tangled?”

“Tangled is a Disney movie… wait. Mandy Moore’s in it. Are you still obsessed with her?”

“Not obsessed, duh. She’s my favorite actress, the best ever.”

Jamie shook his head, still smiling.

“Is this a plan?”

I bit my lip.

“I don’t see why not.”

Pat and the boys were… surprised to find out that I was hanging out with Jamie again. Seriously, it was no big deal! And well, Garrett was something else… he was more jealous than anything. A scowl took a place on his face when I told them about my newest (or oldest) friend. We were skyping, since they had the day off but it was too cold to do anything.

“I like him” Pat said, ignoring Garrett.

“Are you dating him?” John asked from somewhere near them.

“I said we are hanging out.”

Garrett tutted and crossed his arms on his chest, looking down. He was soooooooooo grumpy today. Guess why. I saw John ruffle his hair, before walk to where Gary and Kenny were watching tv.

“When we come back, I wanna see Jamie” Pat said, after shoving Garrett away. He came back after a second, followed by John.

“Why are you going out with him again? He broke up with you.”

“We broke up cause you made me cheat on him, remember?”

“Wait wait, what?” Pat asked, laughing.

“You didn’t know that? Neither did I! Apparently, this pretty boy and I had a hot make out session and Jamie saw it.”

“Hot make out session?” Pat frowned.

“Don’t you think that’s a little too much?” Gare asked in a small voice.

“Hell no!” I all but shouted “you kissed me!”

“Yeah” he replied ”but you fell on me first!”

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

”See?” Garrett said, extremely cocky. I rolled my eyes.

”Will you ever tell me what’s going on?” Pat asked, after a second.

”No!” We said at the same time.

John, being as confused as Pat, smiled and shrugged.

”I guess it’s Jamie All Over.”