Sequel: All or Nothing
Status: Completed.

Right Here Waiting

To be so condescending

The next day, Eliza stood next Katie and David at the funeral. David had arrived the night before and was only staying Sunday for the funeral. He would be flying back out to Boston on Monday morning for a few more things, but he said he’d be back by Wednesday. The entire band and Val stood behind her watching as the casket was lowered down.

After the funeral, Eliza immediately went home and changed. She and Katie sat on the couch of the living room, David having gone back to his hotel. Val was with Matt and the rest of the guys at their house. All day, Eliza had been receiving visitors who brought her baked goods, casseroles, and any kind of desert she could think of. She invited the guys over and they all ate most of the food. Once they had finished eating, everyone but Val, Katie and Brian left.
Eliza walked out to the beach and stood there in her t-shirt and shorts. Her skin felt dry, and her hair felt even dryer. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d worn makeup, not really caring what people saw when they looked at her.

At the sound of a door shutting, she turned around and saw Brian walking toward her. He had changed into a pair of black sweatpants, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. Seeing his hoodie, Eliza realized it was a bit cool out for that time of the year. Beyond him, she could see Katie and Val in the window, washing dishes. She turned around to face the ocean again and wrapped her arms around her as Brian stopped beside her.

“How do you get someone out of a depression like this?” Katie asked as she took a plate from Val to dry it.

“I have no idea. I guess we should just give it time.”

“What if she doesn’t come out of it, though? One parent I can see, but both of them? Before you’re 25? I just don’t see her getting over this, especially when she used to spend every day at the hospital with him.”

“I think if anyone can get her out of it, that would be the reason,” Val said, nodding out the window at the couple standing on the beach.

“Brian?”

“Yes.”

“You really think so?” Katie asked.

“I know so. If you could really see those two together, you’d know what I was talking about. I know you saw them singing, but it’s so much deeper than that. He even broke up with Amber for Eliza.”

“What?” Katie said, surprised. “I knew he broke up with her, but how do you know it was for Eliza?”

“He and Amber were real close before Eliza came along; he spent almost every night with her or her with him. They were even talking about moving in together. All that talk stopped the first day he saw her. He got snippy with Amber for calling Eliza a slut. The other night at the club and the way he acted when David did what he did? I was watching Brian the whole time and his eyes were glued to Eliza’s face; it was an instant reaction when her face showed she was in pain, he was right there. He’s also learned every song she’s said something about liking.”

“Wow,” Katie said, only.

“The best part is, Eliza feels the same; she just doesn’t know it yet.”

“You really think so?”

“Just watch them.”

Both girls’ heads lifted to look out the window and sure enough, Brian and Eliza had moved closer to each other; their shoulders were touching now.

“Thank you for being here, Brian,” Eliza said, turning her head to his frame.

He looked to his right and saw her soft smile. “Eliza, you really don’t have to thank me.”

“Yes, I really do. I don’t know a lot of people who would’ve taken this on. I mean, you hardly knew me and you and the rest of the guys and Val, you know, took me in and made me part of the family. You’ve really been there for me like a lot of people wouldn’t have been. You really made me feel welcome,” Eliza said and lifted her shirt to show off her tattoo.

Brian smiled. “Eliza, honestly, you’re like family. You’ve known us since middle school, and even if we didn’t run in the same social circles we still grew up together. Your parents influenced us all in some way or another and it was purely because we wanted to be there for you and to pay tribute to your dad. This wasn’t a pity thing or because we felt obligated. Well, we felt obligated, because we felt we owed your dad a beautiful departing.”

Eliza smiled at him, silently thanking him. She watched as he reached down to his hand and slipped a ring off of his thumb.

“I got this a while ago. I’m not sure really where I found it; I think I was on tour. I really like it, though,” Eliza saw him twirl the silver ring with the skull signet around in his fingers. He held it out to her. “I want you to have it.”

“Brian, I can’t take your ring.”

“Yes, you can. Just think of it as a sign or something. You’ll have a piece of me or some shit.”

She smiled and took the ring from him, slipping it onto her thumb.

“Perfect fit,” he said, smiling.

Eliza wrapped her arms around her again and smiled. Brian saw her shiver and slipped out of his hoodie. He wrapped it around her shoulders and she stuck her arms in the sleeves, smiling her thanks. “I just don’t know how to get over this.”

“I don’t think you ever really do,” Brian said, squinting in the fading sunlight. “I think you just live with knowing they would want you to live your life to the fullest with no regrets. I think you made your parents proud already, Eliza, and I also think you’re going to continue to make them proud.”

Eliza looked at Brian again as he looked out over the water. She tried to imagine David saying something that sweet and she couldn’t. She looked at Brian’s strong jawline, his fuzzy chin and sideburns, his unkempt hair. From the looks of him, you’d think that with the tattoos and eyeliner and all around badass attitude, he’d be rude, but deep down he was extremely sweet. It was in that instant she realized she was in love with him.

Brian felt her staring at him and turned to face her. The look in her eyes shook him deep to his core and before he could realize what was happening, she was pulling him in and their lips were locked in a passionate kiss.

“This is our cue to find some place to be,” Val said to Katie as they watched the couple wrap each other up in a kiss.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean this is when Brian’s game works the hardest.”

“His ‘game’?” Katie asked, raising an eyebrow.

“That’s not what I meant,” Val immediately corrected. “I meant that…something is bound to happen from that kiss. That’s not a ‘thank you’ kiss. That one’s got feelings in it. Come on; let’s go see what the guys are up to.”

With a last look out the window, Katie followed Val out the door and down the street.

Image

Before Eliza could realize what was happening, Brian had lifted her up so her legs were wrapped around his waist. She was vaguely aware that they were moving, and before long she was being laid down on her bed. The space between them was consumed as Brian leaned in for another kiss. T-shirt after hoodie after bra came off and soon, Eliza was down to her underwear and Brian was in his boxers. They were moving together, grinding, as Brian’s fingers dug into her hips. His lips trailed from hers, to her cheek, then chin, before finally settling on the hollow of her neck. A moan escaped her lips and her fingers dug into his arms. Her hips lifted off of the bed to grind against him and it was his turn to moan.
Sliding his hand from her hip to her stomach, his touch was feather-light as he dipped into the front of her underwear, stroking the fire in her. Her eyes opened for a few seconds to see Brian’s eyes on hers, and as he moved his fingers, her eyes closed in pure bliss.

“I love you,” she moaned and pulled him into another kiss before the rest of their clothes and thoughts were lost.

Image

Johnny had just hit the top step from the basement when the doorbell rang. Redirecting his path from the kitchen to the front door, he heard laughter coming from the basement where everyone else was.

Opening the door, he was surprised to see Amber standing on the porch. “Can I help you?”

“Actually, I was looking for Brian. I tried calling him, but he’s not answering. I left a few things here and wanted them back.”

“He’s not here. I think he left his phone upstairs, which is probably why he didn’t answer.”

“Well, do you mind if I go get my stuff?” Amber asked, taking a step into the house.

Confused, Johnny took a step back. “I guess, but make it quick, okay?”

“Promise,” Amber said with a sweet smile.

She smiled all the way up the stairs. Turning around to see Johnny wasn’t behind her, the smile faded from her face as she made her way to Brian’s room. The fact that his phone was there instead of with him made her job all the more easier. She picked up his phone, pressing a few buttons.

“Did you find your shit?” Johnny hollered from the bottom of the steps.

“Yeah, just one second,” Amber said, finishing with the phone and looking around. She happened to find an old t-shirt of hers and she picked it up.

She stepped out of Brian’s room at the same time Johnny stepped onto the landing. “Find it?”

“Yep, thank you,” Amber said, waving her shirt in the air and moved passed him, down the stairs and out the door.

Johnny opened Brian’s door and looked around. Seeing that everything was in place, he shut it and walked back downstairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
i originally used the word "panties" instead of "underwear".. but i think panties just sounds weird. it's just a weird word, don't you think? panties. PANTALOOOOOOONNNSSS.

how many of you literally went "WELL THANK GOD!" at one point in this story?
okay, you can put your hands down.
now, how many of you called Amber a sneaky bitch?
*raises hand*
wtf is she doing to his phone? any guesses?
comments,concerns (: