Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Eight

Hope woke on the seventh day of her recovery feeling infinitely better. The sun was hidden behind dense clouds that promised snow. She looked forward to it, having stared at a sunny sky for the past week. Zeke had come by more and more to sit with her. Sometimes she would wake up to find him sleeping in the chair by her bed. It made her feel better inside and she discovered that she was slowly falling in love with him.

The knife wound was getting better as the days progressed. Kelli came in regularly to apply a medicine that Hope did not know the name or origin of. Whatever it was, it was doing a good job, though. The skin had healed and all that remained was a deep pain. She was still weak and needed Kelli’s help to walk to the washroom.

“I’d like to get out of the room today,” she told Kelli as she bathed. “I’ve been in this room long enough.”

“I’ll have King Zeke come and help you. I’m afraid I have extra chores today; one of the maids is sick.”

“I understand.”

Hope sat in the chair by her fire, waiting for Zeke to arrive. She was excited about getting to see him. She hadn’t been fully awake when he would come to visit and she realized that she actually missed him. A knock on the door announced his arrival and she called for him to come in. He was dressed in a pair of black riding trousers and a loose green shirt and a pair of black boots.

“Kelli said you wanted to go out,” he said, sitting across from her. “Is that wise?”

“I feel much better,” she assured him. “And I’m sick of being stuck in here.”

“OK.” He stood and helped her stand. “Are you able to put any wait on your leg?”

“I forgot about that,” she murmured and tested it. A sharp pain shot through her leg. “I guess not.”

“Here,” he said and set her back down. He opened the closet door and pulled out a thick rod of wood. “This might help you walk.”

Hope took it and leaned against it. It worked as a leg and she was pleased to find she could walk again, albeit a little awkwardly. He opened the door for her and they ventured down a hall they hadn’t explored yet.

“How have things been going?” she asked.

Zeke frowned. “Seth has gone missing.”

Hope did a double take. “What do you mean?”

“I mean he is missing,” he shrugged, opening another door for her that led outside.

She lifted her hood as the cold bit at her exposed skin. “Where do you think he’s gone?”

“Who knows? Erik’s not talking.”

She frowned but didn’t say anything for a while. The ice-crusted ground crunched under their feet. Once they made it to the garden, Zeke led her to a stone bench so she could rest.

“I’ve been worried about you,” he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck and she looked at the ground. “You’ve slept so much…”

“I know,” she sighed. “But it has done a lot of good to rest.”

He took her hand. “With all that, I am so glad you’re doing better.”

She bit her lip and slid closer to him. He stiffened for a brief moment then put his arm around her. She sighed and stared at the back of the castle.

“Not sure how much longer I can keep this up,” she admitted quietly. She put her head on his shoulder. “I’m tempted to tell King Talon now…”

“I don’t think you should do it now,” he said after a while. “You should give it some more time. Trust me.”

She nodded and he guided his face up to hers. Her throat clenched as she realized what was going to happen next. She hadn’t been kissed before… Unless you count the kiss he had given her the day she was stabbed.

The cold air was slowly becoming lower as their faces got closer. She could feel his nose on hers and her eyes closed. His lips covered hers and she touched his cheek with trembling fingers. It was tender and shy at first, neither of them sure where to go next. Then passion overcame her and she moved as close as she could, yearning to deepen the kiss, and Zeke seemed all too happy to oblige and wrapped both of his arms around her.

Finally he pulled away and rested his forehead against hers. The air between them was surging with electricity and she never wanted the moment to end. Snow began to fall but neither of them cared. As they sat, holding each other, they were unaware of King Talon watching from a window high above, battling emotions.

..

Zeke knocked on the King’s study door and was admitted. The King was standing by the fire, his hands folded behind his back.

“How is my daughter?” he asked and Zeke hesitated.

There was something odd about his voice…

“She is doing well. Her leg is healing magnificently. I found a cane for her to use as she wanted to walk around this evening.”

King Talon turned to face him. “And you took care of her?”

“Best I could…”

Suddenly, Talon was inches from him, a warning glare piercing through Zeke’s eyes. “If you hurt her, I swear I will kill you.”

Zeke took a step back. “Your Highness! Calm down! What are you talking about!?”

Talon ran a hand through his hair and paced up and down the room. Zeke’s heart was pounding painfully in his chest.

“I saw you!” he yelled suddenly, pointing out the window. “I saw you kiss her! Don’t you think she’s been through enough already!?”

Finally understanding, Zeke closed his eyes for a moment. “I did not mean any harm. The truth is, I am in love with your daughter. I know she has been through much and all I want is peace and happiness for her. I will do nothing to intentionally harm her, believe me.”

King Talon collapsed in his study chair. “I am sorry for overreacting.”

King Zeke poured a glass of brandy and handed it to the King. “I understand. Here, drink this. I think that will help.” Talon took the glass gratefully. “She wants to tell you, by the way.”

Talon looked up. “What?”

“Hope. She wants to tell you of her true identity.”

“Why would she want to do that?”

“I think the stress of the whole situation is getting to her,” Zeke guessed. “I told her to wait, though. And I am worried.”

“About Hope?”

“About Seth and Erick. A maid told me she saw Seth visit Erick while he was in the dungeons shortly before he disappeared. Do you think they know?”

They shared a meaningful glance before the door opened and a maid bowed in.

“Your Highness,” she addressed Talon. “Saria wishes to speak with you.”

“Thank you. You may go.”

“I told her not to,” Zeke began but Talon held up a hand.

“I sent a maid to tell her I wanted to see how she is doing,” he said and Zeke nodded. “You may come if you would like.”

“No. I want to do some research if that is all right.”

“Of course. You have all the books you need.”

Zeke glanced around the room until he found the book he was looking for and sat by the fire.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?