I Can't Make You Love Me

005

“Okay so here’s the thing,” Michael started as we were driving to a bar I hadn’t been to.

“What?”

“Some of my friends are still under the impression that Shauna and I are trying to work things out.” He said tensing up and looking at the road. This was after the night Shauna had thought it fun to pour her drinks on me.

“And?” I asked freshening up my lipstick.

“And they may be a little cold towards you?”

I just stared at him, looking at how tense he was because of the situation.

“Do you want to go somewhere else then?” he glanced at me,

“No, I told them I’d be coming out tonight. I’m just warning you of the vibes you may get while we’re there.”

“Is Shauna going to be there?” I asked not looking away from him.

There was a pause.

“Most likely.” He stated with a wince.

“I mean, as long as she doesn’t throw beer on me I’ll be fine.” I stated as we pulled up to the bar parking lot.

“If she does, I’ll kick her ass myself.” Michael said seriously, getting out and opening the door for me before I had a chance to get out myself. We walked in, him in front of course. I had even made an effort not to look too fancy like I normally do. I put on skinny jeans and a casual but nice top. Combat boots with studs and my jewelry wasn’t even that fancy. I had a scarf on because it was chilly, but I kept it on because it matched. Michael helped me out of my jacket, and then we walked to a couch where several people were sitting. Most of them men, I assumed that any girl that was there belonged to the guy she was sitting next to. The bar was somewhat quaint, it had tables, but more couches than tables. There was a wall of books on one side, and a fireplace. It kind of looked like the living area of a cabin. It was dimly lit, making it seem more intimate. I personally wondered if they did that to avoid cleaning everyday. You wouldn’t be able to see the dirt.

“Hey guys!”

“Michael!” they all chimed in and then looked at me.

“This is my-“ it was that moment I had been waiting for; to hear him say the word girlfriend. I didn’t say it when I introduced him to my friends because I didn’t feel like we were at that stage.

“Girlfriend Kim.” The girls in the group all smiled brightly.

“Hello!” I said with a wave and smile. There were a few half smiles from the rest.

“So you’re the girl that Michael keeps ditching us for. I can see why.” A really attractive blonde and blue-eyed guy said reaching out his hand to me. I took it and he continued.

“I’m Johnny.” He smirked.

“I’m Beck.” A scruffy looking guy wearing a beanie said sticking out his hand.

“That’s Cane, Avery, Ben, and Leah.” Michael said point to the couples that both smiled and gave small waves. I smiled and waved back, Michael’s arm slipped around my waist giving it a squeeze.
For some reason that actually comforted me, I sat down as Johnny cleared his stuff off of the section of the couch that was left. I sat down as Michael went to the bar and ordered drinks. He was gone too long for me meeting a group of new people that were all his friends that also happened to think he was still dating someone else.

“So Kim, what do you do?” The girl named Leah asked.

“I study vocal performance, I’m finishing up my masters.” I said glancing towards the bar; hoping Michael was walking back towards where we were. He wasn’t.

“So, you’re a performer!” Johnny said with a grin. “I love opera, especially if it’s in German.”

“I enjoy it a lot. I hope to move to Germany in about 2-3 years to work and sing.” I chuckled.

“Well, let me know when you’re going!” he said as Michael came back with our drinks.

“Going where?” he asked sitting them on the coffee table.

“We’re running away to Germany together. Sorry Mike.” Johnny feigned an apologetic look.

“Ha.” Michael said with a straight face handing me my drink.

“What is that?” Beck asked as I took a sip of my cider.

“Magners.” I said before taking another sip. I decided that Michael deserved a big thank you later for automatically knowing that it was a Magners type of night.

“Cider.” He said before taking a sip of his beer.

“Not much of a beer drinker?” Johnny asked, I looked up and saw how engrossed the rest of the group was in our conversation. It made me nervous for some odd reason.

“No, I love beer. Well I love dark beers.” I stated as the waitress came over and started at the opposite end of our group taking orders.

“The fries are really good here.” Michael said handing me a menu.

“Have you never been here before Kim?” Beck asked.

“Nope, any other recommendations?” I said as I felt Michael's grip tighten around me.

“Hey Shauna.” The one named Leah chimed as the waitress moved down to where we were. I didn’t need to look up to feel everyone’s eyes on me.

“Michael, can I see you for a second?” I heard Shauna say, I couldn’t tell her tone of voice. I’d only heard her drunk and yelling before now.

“And what can I get you?”

“I’ll have whatever she’s having.” Michael said getting up and going outside to talk to Shauna.

“I’ll have the black and bleu burger, and a basket of fries.” I stated trying my best not to look out of the window. I could tell half the group was looking at me and the other half was looking out the window at Michael and Shauna.

“So two of those then?”

“Yes, but just one basket of fries.” I smiled handing her the menu. I finished off my drink, hoping it would start to kick in. Right as I was setting the empty class down, Michael and Shauna walked back inside.

“I’ll go get you another one.” Johnny said looking at me sympathetically, and getting up. Michael sat down next to me, resuming his former position with his arm around me.

“What’d you order us?” He said leaning close, making our conversation seem as though it was more intimate than it actually was. I knew he was trying to dissolve some of the tension that was there because of Shauna. I smirked at how tactful he was.

“A black and bleu burger, and a basket of fries.”

“Yes.” He said closing his eyes and looking upward. “I’m so excited.”

“Here you go.” Johnny said coming back with our drinks.

“Thanks!” I tried my best not to drink almost half as I looked and saw Shauna glaring at me. Michael could tell, and tightened his grip around me making me automatically lean against him more. Shauna then abruptly got up and headed to the bar. Leah followed.

“I was wondering when that was going to happen.” Johnny coughed looking around awkwardly. I felt like this was going to be the last time I hung around Michael’s friends. I couldn’t deal with the tension and awkwardness that I felt like I was cause of.


“Just to be clear, I never hated you.” Johnny said as he made me a drink at a bar I frequented.

“What?” I asked, already feeling the effects of my pregaming.

“You know, Michael said the reason you guys called it quits is because you felt like none of his friends like you and your friends didn’t like him.” He said giving me my drink. It was still early, so the bar was still a little dead.

“Oh.” I actually liked Johnny also; I felt like had I met him before Michael I would have met Michael through him.

“You alright?” He asked looking genuinely concerned. I had to remember that alcohol was somewhat of a truth serum for me. I already had trouble lying, but alcohol augmented that disability.

“Michael and I are still dating. I was stupid.” I stated, it didn’t help that Johnny looked so genuine.

“Why does he keep ditching Beck and- Oh… I thought it was because he was depressed.”

“Nope. I was so stupid to let my friends and his talk me out of being with him.” I said as another person came up to order a drink. One of the other bartenders took care of them. Although they wanted Johnny to make it, it was a gay bar after all.

“So then why are you all still put as single on facebook and stuff?” he asked as I took a swig of my whiskey mix.

“Because, we didn’t want you all butting in again.” My response was a slightly delayed.

“Hey. I never butted-“

“No, I know. I was speaking in a general sense. I like you too, we should be friends in real life.” I smiled.

“You’re good for him. If it makes you feel any better, I never liked Shauna, even before they dated.” He stated as another customer came up, and was taken care of by the other bar tender. The truth serum was truly starting to set in.

“I hate her.” I stated. Johnny looked surprised to hear me say that.

“She’s a bitch.” His eyes widened further.

“Well…”

“Before I really even knew Michael and was just hanging out with him; she was a bitch to me. Michael still won’t even explain their deal. Like why she’s so attached to him, and why she’s hell bent on trying to make my life miserable. It irks me.” I sniffed, looked around lazily because I felt eyes on me. Chase’s eyes were on me, he knew I had been talking to Johnny a while, and there could only be one reason why. He started to get up.

“He’s never explained?”

“Nope.” I said shaking my head. Johnny put a napkin in front of me.

“Not even Tanner? I know you’re friends with him too.”

“Nope.” I stated pulling myself together to show him I was telling the truth and be serious. He took the pen from behind his ear, and started to write something.

“This is my number, text me yours.” He stated seeming even more serious than I was. He folded the napkin and put it in my clutch quickly. As a pair of arms wrapped around my waist I realized why he did it was fast. I turned and was met with Michael’s face and lips pressing against mine. I had no idea he was coming, granted I hadn't checked my phone in the last hour. He probably just texted Chase instead.

“What’s up man!” he said shaking Michael’s hand.

“Hey! Get me a Bourbon and coke, and another of whatever she’s drinking.” He said looking at me with a knowing gaze. That I had definitely told Johnny that he and I were still dating. Clearly in Michael’s mind Johnny could be trusted. I was confused; I hoped I didn’t have a bemused expression on my face. I downed the rest of my whiskey as Johnny glanced at me while making our drinks. I looked at Michael, who was looking at me with an unreadable expression on his face. Which made me even more confused and a little nervous.

“Miss thing!” I heard from behind me, I knew the voice and turned around ready for hugs and kisses. Grateful for the distraction.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, inspiration and free time do a lot for me.