Status: Active

Lover's Dance

About my love

"At the edge of zero, lost without a hero. In the valley of lost dreams we sleep, we sleep..."
"Okay Laney, you're good."
Nodding, I removed the headphones I wore and stepped out of the recording booth, joining Jacob on a couch. Kayla went behind the glass and began recording the bass line.
"How are we on time?" I asked Jacob, relaxing into the cushions.
"Amanda said we're ahead of scheduale, actually. We might be out of here early today!"
"Yeah," I sighed, "If no one suggests we start on the next song."
"No one's going to do that," he assured me, laughing.
I took his word for it and smiled, excited to just go home and sleep for hours. That roadtrip took a lot out of me.
"How was your impromptu roadtrip," Jacob suddenly asked. "By the way."
I smiled to myself since I'd just been thinking about it. "It was nice, we had a lot of fun."
Jacob grinned cheekily. "Fun, huh?" He winked. I frowned and pushed his shoulder.
"No." I said forcefully. "Get your mind of out the gutter."
"But then I'd be homeless." He said innocently, shrugging. Laughing, I shook my head hopelessly.
"God Jacob, you suck."
"No, you suck."
"I can't even." I laughed, standing to go sit next to someone else. Jacob reached out and, laughing, grabbed my wrist to pull me back on the couch.
"Okay, okay. I'll stop. Where is Prince Charming anyways, I'm surprised he's not here right now."
"He was called away for some interviews in New York." I explained, frowning.
"Oh." Was all Jacob said. He frowned. "Why aren't you, like, in a corner? Crying?"
I laughed. "Why should I? He's only been gone for two days, and he's coming home tomorrow."
"Yeah..." he said slowly, giving me a look. "But isn't his home in LA? He doesn't live here, Lane. Unless you two have secretly moved in together, I mean. 'Cause that'd be cool too, I guess. Thanks for telling me bitch."
"We didn't move in together," I laughed quietly. Biting my lip, I realized the problem.
"Hey, Laney? Wanna go get some icecream?"
I looked up at Lori, who was suddenly in front of me, watching me expectantly. I shrugged, who the hell turns down icecream?
"Sure. Jacob, tell Amanda we'll be right back."
Jacob nodded in agreement and we were on our way, driving in Lori's car until we spotted a small icecream shop, turning into the parking lot and walking up to the small window to order. Lori ordered her usual rocky road and I decided on chocolate with brownie bits. I love brownie bits. We paid and sat on the hood of Lori's car to eat.
"So," she said after a moment. "What's going on with you and Josh?"
I stopped, caught off gaurd by her sudden question. I blinked, regained my composure, and continued eating my frozen treat.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I mean," she said slowly, "What are you doing with this boy?"
I laughed, "You sound like a scary dad. 'What are your intentions with my daughter?'" I looked over at her, but quickly looked away and concentrated on my icecream when I saw the look she gave me. One thing I loved about Lori, was she wasn't about shit. She got right to the point when she needed too and didn't appreciate swaying off topic -not when she felt the topic was important, at least.
"I- I don't know." I finally said, shrugging. "I like being with him, it's nice."
"Is that it?" She asked. I looked over at her, I couldn't believe she was pulling this out of me.
"Well... he likes being with me? We really like each other?"
"And?"
"AND!" I exclaimed, getting a bit frutrated. "And what? What do you want me to say, Lori? That I don't know what I'm doing? That I'm scared because it feels like we're just walking through this blind? Well then yes, that's exactly what it is. I don't know what we're doing or where we're going, but I don't care because, wherever we're going, we're together. And we like being together. So, yeah. Fuck you."
Lori didn't say anything, but when I looked over at her she was smiling smugly, eating her icecream. I groaned, I hated this psychological shit she always pulled.
"I hate you Lori." I said quietly, glancing over at her. She smiled softly, taking another bite of her icecream.
"Just say thank you, bitch."

___*___

I miss you too, love. It's nice to hear your voice.
I smiled, even though Josh couldn't see it through the phone.
"How are the interviews going?" I asked.
Good, good. I just finished The Late Show a few hours ago.
"I wish I watched more late night television," I laughed, "So I'd know what that is."
Josh laughed. You can watch it in a few weeks, when it airs. Don't worry.
I laughed, "Yeah, I guess I can." My laughter drifted and I bit my lip, unsure how to continue. I haven't been able to keep my mind off of what Jacob said since this afternoon. Josh couldn't keep flying out here, he lived in LA. But it wasn't like we could just move in together, I wasn't even sure how far Josh was planning this relationship to go, and besdes we'd only been together for a few months. And, if we did move in together, where would we live? Florida or California?
Is everything okay? Josh asked. I laughed nervously, deciding to just go with it.
"Well," I began, "I was wondering -you know, just randomly- about the current living situation."
What do you mean?
"I mean, you live in Los Angelos, right? And I live in Florida. And you say you're going home after these interviews and such, but I didn't know where exactly you meant. And, also, if uhm- if we were to ever combine living spaces, where exactly would we set up home base? Since we live in two different states and I have to be close to the band but your whole life is in California. You know what I mean?"
Josh was quiet for a moment, and then he was suddenly laughing. Do you ever take a breath? he laughed. I laughed awkwardly, wishing he'd answer a question instead of tease me.
Okay, he began. First off, I'm going back to Florida in a few days, when I'm done. Second of all, 'Combine living spaces'? What the hell Laney?
I laughed. "I didn't know how to phrase it, exactly. I just wanted to know, you know, if we ever-"
When we move in together, he interrupted, We'll look at it like this: you have to live in Florida, but I can live pretty much anywhere.
"Really?"
Yeah, as long as I can fly to an audition or meeting or whatever, I'm good. So, the best plan would be for us to get a place over there. Okay?
I was speechless for a moment. He handled it so easily, acted as if there was no other alternative but for us to move in together. Which, I'll admit, was nice, but it was surprising.
"O- okay." I said. "Thanks for clearing that up."
No problem, is there anything else you're worried about?
I laughed, "No. I don't think so. Actually-"
I'd completely forgotten that we'd been invited to perform at a small benefit for- well I wasn't exactly sure what it was for, I'd forgotten. Amanda had mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I'd forgotten until the women in charge of the event called me this morning to make sure we were ready.
"It's nothing major," I explained to Josh, "Just some songs on the piano, maybe some acoustic. It'll be pretty cool. And, I've got a plus one. Think you'll be back in time for that? I'm wearing a pretty gown," I sang enticingly. Josh laughed.
I don't think so darling, my flight comes back pretty late. Like, the next morning late.
"Oh." I frowned, taking a minute. No big deal, doesn't matter. Nope. "That's okay. Well, I'll text you the address anyways," I laughed, "Just in case, by some miracle, you can make it."
Sounds perfect, Josh said, though it didn't sound too convincing. I'm sorry baby.
"It's okay." I said. "I get it, don't worry. I'm just glad I get to see you soon."
Me too love, me too.
I smiled to myself, glancing at the clock. It was almost midnight. "Okay," I sighed. "Well, I'd better head to bed. We've got to get up pretty early so we can set up and do soundcheck."
How early do you have to be there? he asked.
"Around 3. And if I want to wake up by at least noon, I'd better get to bed."
Josh laughed. I swear, you're crazy.
"Crazy for you." I teased.
I'll let you get to bed, I guess. Goodnight.
"Goodnight," I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I wrote this close to 2 am, and I'm not sure it's the best apple in the bunch, but hey.
~Des