Status: Next update (at the latest): 11/4

The Capitol's Tribute

The Final Goodbyes

I didn’t want to wake up. It was cruel for me to have to get up, to leave the warmth and safety of Peeta’s arms. It wasn’t fair.

But, I had to leave. I didn’t want to say goodbye to Peeta. I was sick of saying goodbye.

I wasn’t sure how I could possibly word all my thoughts and feelings appropriately. So, I didn’t.

As quietly and motionlessly as I could, I slipped out of Peeta’s arms and onto the floor. I didn’t bother changing. My sweats would have to do. I was afraid if I spent anymore time in my room, Peeta would wake up and I would have to confront him.

I didn’t want to talk about last night and our moment of weakness. I didn’t want to think about it. I had to think about Brant. No one else could get in the way of that, no matter how much I wished I could stay locked away with Peeta forever.

He would get over me. He had Katniss.

Some cruel part of me thought that maybe Katniss had sent him in my room to consul me on my last night.

I couldn’t wallow in self-pity, either. Soon, Katniss and Peeta wouldn’t exist to me.

With one last glance at Peeta’s sweet and peaceful face, I silently shut the door behind me.

“You think this will go over well with him?” Katniss’ voice said quietly from behind me. I almost screamed, my heart thudded madly in my chest as if it knew it only had so many beats left.

Today, I was going to the Games. Today, I could die.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as Katniss stared at me.

“Sorry,” She muttered, “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“I guess I’m just a little jumpy.” I sighed, running a hand threw my messy hair.

Katniss pursed her lips and stared at my door. “Well?” She raised her eyebrows in expectation.

“Well, what?” I frowned.

She sighed exasperatedly, “Do you really think this will go over well with him?”

“Who?” I said evasively. Did Katniss know Peeta had spent the night with me? Would she try to kill me?

She didn’t have to kill me. Malum probably would.

“Haymitch.” Katniss narrowed her eyes, “Peeta, you idiot.”

I looked at her in shock. She didn’t look like she was about to stab me. In fact, she didn’t seem angry at me at all. Maybe a little annoyed but not as hurt as I thought she’d be with her fiancé spending the night with his ex.

“You’re not…mad?” I questioned.

Katniss smiled like that was such an insane statement. “You should at least say goodbye to him. Doesn’t he deserve that much?”

“He deserve a lot more than whatever half-ass goodbye I could give him.” I mumbled, edging away from the door, wanting to get out of here before he woke up.

“Something is better than nothing. Peeta would take anything at this point.” Katniss told me seriously.

“He has you.” I couldn’t help the spite in my voice, “He’ll get through the Games with you by his side.”

Katniss rolled her eyes, “Stop with the guilt trip, Rixa. You’re the same as me now.”

I furrowed my brows, feeling slightly offended, “I’m not a boyfriend stealer. I’m not a life-ruiner.”

“Stop it, Rixa,” Katniss snapped, “Who has a girl back at home? Finnick. Who’s marrying Finnick? You. And yet, here you are, acting all self-righteous to me about being the bad guy. Maybe if you opened your eyes you’d see that we’re not so different. We did what we had to do. Maybe if you somehow manage to survive the Games, you’ll finally see that.” Katniss finished in a low, dangerous voice. It felt strange to be reprimanded by Katniss and I made sure to bite back my smart retort. She had survived the Games; I knew how deadly she really was.

I cleared my throat uncomfortably, wishing she hadn’t brought up Finnick and Annie. The ring on my finger suddenly weighed two tons and it was all my mind could think about.

Poor Annie.

I was exactly like Katniss. But, she was starting to make me feel like maybe that wasn’t such a bad thing.

We did what we had to do. Maybe if I survived, I would fully understand what that meant.

But, I wouldn’t.

And now I had to leave for the Games.

“Watch after Peeta for me.” I finally uttered, staring straight into Katniss’ grey eyes. “Tell him we said goodbye last year, there’s nothing else for us to say. And that I forgive him for…everything.”

Katniss’ expression softened, “Of course.”

We stood there, awkwardly looking at each other.

“Keep Brant alive,” I went on, “Send him parachutes, not me.”

Katniss nodded solemnly, “Anything else?”

I pondered it for a moment as I began walking past her, hearing Peeta stirring. “Punch Haymitch in the face for me. Whenever you feel the moment is right.”

She snorted despite herself, “You know I will.”

“Thanks,” I smiled lightly, “Bye, Katniss.”

Katniss tilted her head, lips twitching upward, “Good luck, Rixa.”

I quickly made my way down the hall to Brant’s open door, wanting to apologize for last night. I didn’t want that to be our last conversation because it very well could be at this point.

But, the odds were still very much not in my favor because Brant had already left.

It was disheartening but I would find Brant in the Games. He wouldn’t dare disobey Haymitch’s orders so I was certain he would make it through the first day if he didn’t run into the Cornucopia.

I trudged down the rest of the hall out into the living room, wishing I’d thought to grab a jacket. I would have to walk outside and sit in a hovercraft in only a tank top. Inwardly, I groaned, hoping I wouldn’t have to share the same craft as Malum (though, I wasn’t sure that Ridley was a much better companion).

“No need to get dressed up for me, sweetheart.” Haymitch’s degrading voice muttered from the couch.

I rolled my eyes, pushing myself forward. I couldn’t murder Haymitch, Brant needed him. Haymitch followed me, pushing the elevator button before I had the chance to move my arm.

“You going to give me the silent treatment?” Haymitch prodded, “That seems a bit childish.”

I bit my tongue so hard I could taste the metallic-ness filling my mouth.

Haymitch sighed as the doors to the elevator slid open. We entered it and Haymitch pushed the button to the main floor.

“You’re angry.” Haymitch commented.

“I’m a lot of things.” I answered quietly, “You went behind my back, you used Finnick and me, and you tossed Brant aside like trash. So, yes. I’m a little angry.

Haymitch’s expression changed drastically, he looked at me like he had human feelings and guilt. “We did this to protect you.”

“We?” I laughed coldly, “There is no ‘we’! You use people, Haymitch! You play with emotions and force us to do what you want to get what you want. As far as I’m concerned, you’re no better than the Capitol. You’re no better than Snow.” I spat.

Haymitch recoiled. Something flashed in his eyes at my last statement. He glanced to see that we were halfway down the building now. When Haymitch spoke again, his voice was hushed and distressed. “Do you know why you got such a high score? Do you?”

I peered at my mentor, taken aback. “I—What?”

“Snow is angry that you’re calling yourself the Capitol’s Tribute. He doesn’t want the Capitol to be tainted with a tribute from a rebelling District.” He told me seriously, not breaking eye contact, “You need to watch your back, Rixa. Snow isn’t happy with District Twelve as it is. Don’t give him anything more to kill you for.”

“What?” I gasped, “Why is he angry with Twelve? Why does he want to kill me?”

“Are you listening, sweetheart?” Haymitch growled. We were two floors away from our destination. “Katniss and Peeta weren’t supposed to survive. You’re using the Capitol for your personal gain. Only Snow can do that.”

The bell dinged and the doors flew open.

“Watch your back, sweetheart.” Haymitch muttered under his breath, stepping out of the elevator, “Don’t do anything stupid. We’ll talk when you get back—”

“I’m not—” I tried to argue but Effie Trinket came out of nowhere and swept me away.

“Good luck, sweetheart,” Haymitch forced a smile, waving as other Capitol citizens and mentors observed us. “Make me proud!”

Effie dragged me through the Training Center. Finnick was down there but we didn’t have time to chat. I was late already according to Effie.

“Rixa!” Finnick cried, running toward me as I boarded the hovercraft, “Rixa!”

I looked at him desperately. Everything was happening so fast. I wanted it to all stop. I needed more time before they threw me into the arena.

“Finn,” I breathed, my mouth too dry to yell.

“Rixa,” He repeated, not sure of what else to say, “I’m sorry!”

I shook my head, feeling my eyes burn with threatening tears. I opened my mouth to respond but was forced backward unceremoniously as the door slammed shut, locking me in with eleven other tributes.

I was tossed roughly into the last empty chair and injected with some sort of blue light.

“It’s a tracker.” Freddy’s voice told me. I glanced up to see the sweet boy smiling nervously. “Hey, Rixa.”

“Freddy,” I forced a smile, feeling like I was about to vomit even though I hadn’t eaten in hours, “How are you?”

He giggled lightly, “Better now that you’re here.”

I pursed my lips, nodding as I glanced around the hovercraft.

Freddy glanced up at me with those big, sad brown eyes, “We’re still allies, right?”

“Of course.” I honestly hadn’t thought about my deal with Freddy. I prayed that he had forgotten all about Anna. “I promised, right?”

He nodded wildly, looking incredibly relieved. “Anna will be so happy!”

Apparently, he hadn’t forgotten. Great.

“The Capitol’s Tribute is taking in all the runts.” Malum’s menacing voice cackled from three seats over, “How…noble.

“Don’t make me hurt you again.” Freddy threatened. It was unsettling how dangerous Freddy sounded and looked at that moment.

Even Malum thought better of engaging in a battle of wits.

The rest of the ride was silent and uncomfortable. In less than an hour, all of us would be trying to murder the other. Half of us wouldn’t make it through the first day. Maybe none of us would even win.

When we touched down in the holding area, our restraints were released. We all stood up and stretched out before the door fell open. All the tributes filed out onto the platform, waiting to be escorted into our rooms for launch.

A pale, black haired woman who looked like she was sucking on a lemon came for me. Before I could move toward her, something grabbed me around the waist. I looked down to see Freddy hugging me tightly.

I placed my arms around the little boy lightly, “I’ll meet you in there, Freddy. Don’t worry.” I said softly. He peered up at me, wiping something wet from his face quickly.

“Okay,” He responded thickly.

The black-haired woman grabbed my arm roughly and dragged me along with her. “Good luck, Freddy!” I called as his escort pushed him the other way. He looked terrified but there was nothing I could do to help him now.

We walked a short ways down a large hall before I was thrust into one of the rooms and had the door slammed on my face.

I let out a shaky breath before a familiar voice called me.

I turned around to see Cinna waiting patiently for me. A sad expression clad on his dark face.

Cinna and I sat alone in the room. The glass tube that would take me up to the arena sat idly by, awaiting my entrance. There was still time before I went on, but it was slipping away quickly as I sat with Cinna, simply holding his hand.

“I need to get you dressed, Rixa,” He finally said softly, lifting my chin up with his hand not currently being crushed by my death grip.

I nodded, gulping down the excess saliva in my mouth. I allowed Cinna to stand me up and bring me to the metal rack holding the bag with my Games outfit. He pulled it out to reveal a brown pair of pants and shirt with an olive-green overcoat made of some plastic-like material.

I stripped off my clothes, unconcerned with Cinna seeing me naked. He had dressed me hundreds of times; I was used to his presence when I was at my most vulnerable. Cinna helped me into the outfit as my motor functions seemed to be malfunctioning. When he had zipped up the thin jacket, Cinna stepped back, taking a look.

“What do you think?” I asked quietly.

“It’ll provide some resistance in rain and wind but not too much. It’s waterproof but I wouldn’t go swimming in it if there’s a pool.” Cinna said tugging on the jacket, testing it.

“Who are you, my mentor?” I joked mildly. Cinna smiled lightly, giving me a quick kiss on the forehead, “I was talking about how I look. Will I die pretty?”

He gave me a disapproving look, “I believe in you.”

“I wish I did, too,” I said glancing over at the tube.

“Oh, Rixa,” Cinna put his soft hands on each side of my face. “You have no idea how strong you are, the effect you have on people.”

“I’m not strong,” I murmured, looking down at the ground.

Cinna forced me to look in his dark, soulful eyes, “You have so many people out there rooting for you! Oceilia, Finnick, Gale, me! You can’t give up before it’s even started!”

“I haven’t given up,” I told him, feeling the heat rise in my face, “I’m not going in there to win.”

Cinna looked at me, confused. It took him a few moments before he realized what I was saying. He closed his eyes, breathing in deeply, looking quite pained. Cinna knew it was time to say goodbye. “You’re the strongest woman I’ve ever met, Rixa Hart.” He started; his eyes were so full of emotion but he never spilled a single tear, “It’s been such an honor to work with you these past few years, to be called your friend. I’ll never forget watching you grow into this beautiful and selfless woman. I’m sorry this happened to you, Rixa, and I will do what I can to help you on the outside.”

I pulled Cinna in for a hug, touched by his kind words. “Thank you, Cinna.”

When a cool voice told me I had sixty second to enter the tube, I wasn’t afraid anymore. Cinna’s words had given me new strength, reminding me of why I kept fighting. I looked at the tube as Cinna squeezed my hand for the last time.

I smiled genuinely at Cinna. His words might have just saved Brant’s life.

“Wait, Rixa,” Cinna suddenly remembered something. He pulled something out of his pocket. It was small and golden: the Mocking-jay pin.

I furrowed my brows as he positioned it strategically on the left breast of the jacket. He stepped back again, looking satisfied.

“I’d forgotten about this.” I confessed, looking at it in disdain, “Why did you put it on?”

Cinna smiled knowingly, “You never know what kind of allies it could give you.”

I looked at him quizzically but didn’t question it.

Instead, I turned around and made my way to the tube, stationing myself cozily inside it. I met Cinna’s bittersweet gaze and smiled again. “We’ve come full circle.”

He tilted his head again. “What do you mean?”

“You dressed me in my first Capitol outfit. It seems only fitting you would put me in my last.” Cinna breathed in deeply, sorrow filling the sigh he released.

“I’m still rooting for you.” He called as the tube started to enclose me.

“It will be in vane.” I answered, waving him off. “Help Brant when I’m gone!”

But, he couldn’t answer as the cool voice lifted me up into the arena; the final count down had begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay.
Rixa is going to the arena! HOLY SHITBALLZ.
I hope you guys are excited as I am!
I decided to have a little Freddy/Rixa in this because I heart Freddy.
I hope you enjoyed this. It's really long and a lot to process but I like it (:
Don't be a silent reader! Comment, comment, comment!
And sub and rec!
Enjoyyyy. (: