‹ Prequel: Over Christmas Break
Sequel: Hope For Moving On
Status: complete

Over Spring Break

Finale

“Jon went to see Jenny,” he told me as we entered the penthouse. I nodded. “Now, please tell me what’s wrong.”

“You know damn well what’s wrong.”

“Because I told you to stop school for now? I didn’t think going to school would be more important than our triplets, Harper.”

“School isn’t that important, but some comfort would’ve been nice. We got knocked up, I’m only 19 and going to be a mother to triplets. You could’ve told me you’ll be there for me or we’ll figure this out, anything other than what you said to me,” I screamed at him as the tears began to fall. I collapsed onto the floor, crying. He tried to figure out what to do before he decided to pull me into his arms as he sat next to me.

“Hey, look at me,” I didn’t so he took my chin and gently tilted it towards him. “I do love you and I’m just so scared. I know you’ve read enough books and seen the TV shows that make you want to think I’ll run away. But I’m here for the long haul. Even if we aren’t married or completely official, I would never leave you. Do you understand? What I told you last weekend about being lost without you these last three months was all true. So I want you to understand I will be there for you every step of the way. We are going to need money for triplets, so I’ll still play hockey, but I’m going to be there for you,” this kind of made me chuckle as the tears fell from his eyes too. I wiped mine away and looked into his wet eyes. “I love you, you can’t just get rid of me, babe.”

“Never said I wanted to,” I smiled and he kissed me. We headed to bed for his pre-game nap before getting back up an hour later to head to the United Center.

The team welcomed us and Jenny was there with a teddy bear for me. “How’d the appointment go?” she questioned.

“Good, I have to tell you something when we aren’t around so many people though.”

“Okay, is it bad?” I shook me head. She let her smile slip back onto her face. She gave me the bear and I went to wish David luck.

“Hey,” I said to him. He replied the greeting. “I want you to be great out there. For our family,” he nodded before kissing me for a long moment. When I stepped away, Jon and Jenny were staring, but I didn’t care. We were good together and he made it clear that we would get through it together. So I trusted him.

Jenny and I left the locker room with Joanna, who was childless. “How’d your appointment go?” she asked seeing as I told her two days ago that I was pregnant.

“It was great. We actually learned we’re having triplets.” I smiled.

“That’s amazing!” Joanna said.

“Congrats, cuz,” Jenny added.

“Thank you both. It was a little hard to swallow, we had our first big fight since we got back together, probably from my mood swings, but we’re ready.”

“That’s really important, being ready that is. When I was pregnant with the boys, Andrew was at the height of his career. He had wanted to wait. We actually separated for the first four months. Than he got hurt and realized nothing was more important than family.”

“I would’ve never guessed. You two are always looking so lovey-dovey.” I told her as we found our seats, 14 rows off ice.

“We’ve been trying to have another baby the last few months,” she confided in us with a blush.

“Really? Do the boys know?” she shook her head.

“Only on nights like tonight when they go to sleepovers do we try. It’s a lot harder than you would think to try with two ten year olds running around.”

“I give you props for wanting another child after having twins,” Jenny replied. Joanna smiled.

“There’s nothing better in the world than holding your newborn after hours of labor.” It hit me at that moment that Jenny was remembering the day she gave birth to a little baby boy, two years ago after her abusive boyfriend got her pregnant after raping her. She didn’t want to abort the baby, so she gave birth and gave it up for adoption. I asked Joanna if she wanted food and dragged Jenny with me to help carry everything.

“Are you okay?” I asked even though I saw the first tear escape from her eyes. She nodded and took a few deep breaths. “Are you sure?”

“Thank you, for getting me out of there. But yes, I’m fine. Just because she mentioned something she enjoyed doesn’t mean I can’t handle it.”

“Jenny, you never even held him. I’m sure if you had, you wouldn’t have let him go.”

“I get pictures, from his adoptive parents. They are gay men, super nice. They’ve invited me over for dinner, to meet him. I just can’t do it though.”

“Jenny,” she pulled away from my outstretched hand.

“Stop, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me; I’ve long ago come to the terms about what happened. And I’m okay with it.” I let the subject drop and we ordered our food to get back to our seats just in time for the anthem.

The game went by super quick and I tried to imagine mine and David’s lives including triplets. Jon ended up scoring and assisting, Hossa had a goal, Brunette assisted Hos’ goal, and David scored twice while assisting his brother. The three of us girls had celebrated the win in our seats, chit chatting about certain plays before heading back to the locker room. We found our individual men to bother once inside.

“That’s a way to play for your family.” I said to him.

“A point for each of them,” he replied. I smiled and pecked his lips.

“Do your interviews, shower, and let’s get out of here. Spring break ends in two days!” I sighed. He nodded and pecked my lips again before hitting the showers. I had expected him to have interviews, but obviously he didn’t seeing as he was back at my side, ready to go ten minutes later. “No interviews?” he shook his head. I said goodbye to everyone and we left. “You can go out, you know. I’m going straight to bed.”

“And I’m going to be right next to you the entire night.”

“Okay,” I entwined our fingers when we got in his car that we had driven separately from Jon. He drove us back and we headed upstairs in a tired silence. I changed while he put his gear away and went to do my business in the bathroom. It was when I sat down on the toilet that the rest of my life changed. I saw blood in my underwear, meaning I was miscarrying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright folks, this is now complete.