Status: Active =)

Seize the Day

II

Starting junior year was just as easy as a new year has always been. File in to school and find your old friends, chat once the late bell rings and go to your class claiming you got lost. If there’s no sweep for the first week of school, take advantage of it, right? Right.

After climbing off the bus with a friend, I plugged in my headphones as I passed through the doors into Fraser High-or something everyone calls Hell High. I bobbed my head gently along with the words to “Critical Acclaim” as I walked up the stairs to my locker. The lockers, for some odd reason, were upstairs, and there was hundreds of lockers at each one of the corners of the school. One corner for freshmeat, another for sophomores, the next junior, then senior. I made my way to the third row, accidentally letting out a groan at the sight before me.

There was a group of girls standing in front of my locker. I immediately knew who they were; judging by just how they were dressed. All wearing mini skirts and shirts that were either too tight or too short, the short ones showing off their belly rings. Sophomore year they had all taken a trip to the piercing parlor to get matching piercings. The group was made up of six girls; all who talked about each other behind their back, all who gossiped constantly, and all were dating a guy on the football team. It was almost as if they were made for each other.

They turned and shot me glares and disgusted looks at me; maybe because it was the fact I was standing out in stark contrast to their bright colors, while I was wearing a band tee-shirt and skinny jeans with my skating shoes. Or maybe they turned to glare because they heard my loud groan.

“You’re in front of my locker.” I stated as nicely as I could without sounding overly fake after shutting my iPod off but not taking the ear buds out. The smiles and “sorry”’s they sent my way obviously didn’t have the fakeness covered up, as I could practically feel the bitter and hate of them. I rolled my eyes when they walked a few feet away. I expertly turned the lock and shoved the notebooks and binders and books I had in my hands into my locker, thanking God that this cheap school had opted to spend some of their money to get bigger lockers this year.

“Hey.” I heard a male voice greet the group of girls. I swallowed nervously as they giggled softly. I focused on sorting my locker as I eavesdropped on their conversation.

“Hey you,” the overly sweet and mushy reply came. It was from Kiana, a tanned, bright eyed girl who quite honestly was nothing short of gorgeous, yet her personality, like my clothing, was a large contradiction to this. I bit my lip gently as I shut my locker, turning to leave, but not before I snuck a quick peek at him.

His blackish brown hair was as straight as a pin, his more pale than tan skin standing out. His unreal blue eyes stood out in the thick array of black eyelashes that rimmed his eyes. He smiled, not thin and not full pink lips quirking upwards in an almost breathtaking display of happiness. His black snakebites gleamed under the harsh light of the school’s lighting. I almost smiled at just the sight of him.

His eyes darted up to meet mine as I quickly looked away, hopefully avoiding him watching me look at him. A light blush stained my cheeks as I untucked the hair from behind my ear to cover it up.

“Cohle?” Kiana almost snapped, just covered. I looked back, hopefully inconspicuously, as he looked back down at her.

“Yes?” His innocent reply came. I had no idea how anyone dealt with her. She was devil in heels, hiding behind makeup and Forever 21 clothing. I absolutely loathed her with every fiber in my being, hoping to see her tumble to the bottom of Hell High’s food chain like every other teenage girl here.

I walked out of earshot, sighing softly to myself. I walked almost dramatically slow to where my friends and I meet up-outside the band room. Yes, we’re all freakishly obsessed with making music, may it be wind ensemble or marching band or jazz band. In fact, the four of us make up a band we’re calling ourselves “Seize the Day”. Jazmine was our singer and rhythm guitarist, Kaylyn was our bassist, Brooklyn was our lead guitarist, and me on drums.

“Where are your sticks?” Brooklyn asked confused. Usually I had my drum sticks in my hands tapping on my thighs to a silent beat in my head, or twirling them between my fingers absent mindedly. I put my iPod away and pulled them out from my back pocket with a content smile on my face. The rest of them shook their heads amused at my choice of sticks for the day; I had at least ten sets at home that I customized. Today they were short lyrics from our songs in purple and blue.

After a few minutes of mindless chatter the bell rang. None of us moved to walk away while a sea of freshman looked overwhelmed on which way to go. I smiled at waved goodbye right before the music started to play, signaling we had one minute to get to class. I drummed the sticks on my thighs lightly as I walked into my wind ensemble class. I placed the sticks in my bag as I pulled out my flute and sheet music. Thus started an hour of mindlessly droning on.