If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-eight.

‘Tom.’ My mom calls from behind me cutting in.

‘Veronica.’ He calls back stepping through the doorway.

Isabelle followed him inside silently. I watch as she takes in her surroundings and glances around the living room.

‘Hey bug.’ My dad pulls me in for a tight, warm embrace. ‘How are you feeling?’

‘I'm okay.’ I retort as I feel myself released from the embrace.

‘Hello, Chrissy. It's been too long.’ Isabelle's eyes flicker to me briefly.

‘Yeah, too long.’ I agree with a nod, ‘where are the kids?’

‘Isabelle's mom has them while we're away.’ Dad replies walking over to my mom, ‘how are you?’

‘Despite the circumstances, I'm good.’

‘Yeah I know what you mean. I sat on that plane for what seemed to be the longest flight of my life. I'm just glad she's doing okay.’

hey my mom's having some kind of dinner at her place tonight and wanted me to invite you and your family. please don't make me go alone. - Justin.

‘Pattie's having a dinner tonight and wanted me to invite you guys.’ I look from my mom to my dad to Isabelle who hovered in the back.

‘Pattie?’ My dad raises an eyebrow to my mom.

‘Pattie is Justin's mom. Would you two want to go?’

‘Dear?’ Dad then looks over to Isabelle.

‘I'd love to.’

We'll be there - Chrissy.

Justin's Point of View

‘Kick boxing?’ Chaz asked confused.

‘What are we doing here?’ Nolan wonders.

‘Just looking around.’ I answer getting out of the car.

This morning Alfredo, Ryan, and I were talking about options when it came to protecting Chrissy. Ryan was the one who suggested taking up a fight class. I’m open to just about anything but I hadn’t told Chrissy about my plans just yet.

‘Well let’s go.’ Fredo led the way into the fight club.

Inside there were already a few guys sparing with each other. Loud adrenaline-rushing music was blaring over the speakers. All of us file into the building and hang over by the wall. I watch as the two guys move and duck with quickness and swing their arms out in crazy speeds. I watch in awe as the guy kicks the other ones leg from right under him. He doesn’t waste any time getting right back on his feet.

‘Take five.’ Some large guy covered in tattoos calls coming from the side of the ring. ‘My name’s Mike. What can I do for you?’

‘Well we, more specifically I, we’re interested in taking up your boxing class.’

‘We definitely have the room if you’re going to be committed.’

‘Committed in everything I do.’ I nod with conviction.

‘It’ll be hard. There won’t be any special treatment here.’

‘Of course not.’

‘Walk to the office with me for a minute.’ He gestures from me to follow him.

We walk into the tiny office and he closes the wooden door behind him. I stand in the corner while he makes a way to his seat and drinks from a bottle.

‘Why do you want to take up boxing?’

‘I want to do this for my girlfriend.’

‘Explain.’

‘There’s this, guy, person. I don’t know who. He’s been stalking her, threatening her, invading my place, her place. I want it to stop. I want to protect her whenever the time may be.’

‘Go get a gun.’

‘What?’

‘Go get a gun and shoot the person. They won’t mess with her anymore, would they?’

‘I don’t want a gun.’

‘Why not?’

‘That’s taking the easy way isn’t? I don’t want to kill the person. I want to protect my girlfriend without killing anyone. That’s not me. I don’t want it to go that far, I’d rather see them sitting in a jail cell restricted from the outside world. You know, I’d rather knock some sense into them rather watch them die.’

‘Alright.’

‘Alright?’

‘I’ll train you.’

‘Great. When do we start?’

‘Tell you what – come by here first thing in the morning. 9 o’clock, don’t be late.’

‘9 o’clock – got it.’

‘I’ll see you tomorrow.’

‘Thanks.’ I let myself out and rejoin the fellas.

‘You guys can feel free to check out the place. Do a little sparring.’

‘Thanks again.’ I call while I nod my head towards Mike. ‘Who’s first?’

We all take turns sparring with each other in the ring for a few hours.

‘J, another round?’ Mitch calls stepping out of the ring.

‘No thanks.’ I shake my head looking over at my phone.

It was already after six and I had to meet Chrissy and her family at my mom’s place in an hour. I still needed to go home and shower then find something to put on to impress her dad. We hit it off in Arizona so I want to keep it that way.

‘He’s gotta go meet Chrissy.’

As soon as the words left Fredo’s mouth, the guys make kissy sounds. Of course.

‘Shut up. We shouldn’t be long so I’ll just text you guys when I’m down and we’ll do something.’

‘Tell Chrissy we said hey.’ More immature sounds.

‘Maybe if y’all had girlfriends then you wouldn’t be so tempted to make fun of me.’

‘I have a girlfriend.’ Ryan clarified.

‘Where is she?’

‘At Alfredo’s. I really should get back to her.’

‘Justin 2.0.’ then came the whipping sounds.

‘Yeah y'all should really get girlfriends.’

‘Forget them. I’ll give you a lift.’ I grab my keys and unlock the car. ‘You and Nichole should come to my mom’s tonight.’

‘Would that be okay?’

‘Yeah, she wouldn’t care. It’ll only be her, Roman, Chrissy, her parents, her dad’s wife, and me.’

‘Sure. We’ll go.’

‘Nice.’ I drive Ryan’s to Fredo’s so he could get ready there with Nichole then I drove to the apartment so I could shower.

On my way now – Chrissy.

I’m just going to take a shower really fast and be over there. – Justin.

Justin! – Chrissy.

I’ll be there in twenty minutes. I love you – Justin.

I love you too – Chrissy.

I take the quickest shower of my life and scramble to get dressed. I pick up Ryan and Nichole then we head over to my mom’s house. I spotted Chrissy’s car and a random sleek black car beside it. I pull alongside the curb not wanting to block anyone in.

‘I’m here.’ I announce stepping through the front door.

Chrissy slid around the corner colliding her body with mine. I hold her as I walk towards the kitchen. She had some kind of new dress on that I had never seen but I loved it.

‘I missed you.’ She whispers quietly just for me to hear.

‘I missed you.’ I repeat kissing her quickly before I step face to face with her father. ‘Great to see you again.’

‘You too Justin. How have you been?’ he asks.

‘Great, this is Ryan and Nichole. This is Chrissy’s dad, Tom and his wife Isabelle.’

I wasn’t Isabelle’s biggest fan from back how she threatened Chrissy to stay away from her own dad. I’d push my feelings aside for Chrissy’s sake but she definitely is on my watch list. My mom walks around the corner with Chrissy’s mom and Roman behind her.

‘Hey mom.’ I smile pulling her towards me.

‘Hey sweetheart. Long time no see.’

‘I’m sorry. How are you?’ I also hugged Chrissy’s mom and slapped hands with Roman.

‘Alright, everyone.’ Mom calls out, ‘it’s time to eat.’

I take Chrissy by the hand and find two seats at the long table. Our hands are intertwined under the table while she uses her small finger to draw circles against my skin.

‘So Justin are you planning on touring any time soon?’ Chrissy’s dad asks from across the table and I know Chrissy’s ears stand up at the question.

‘Not for a while. I’m in the writing process right now. I haven’t even started recording. I’ll be around for some time.’ I give Chrissy’s hand a firm squeeze taking a sip of my drink.

‘What did you do with the guys earlier?’ she wonders while everyone is off in their own conversations after dinner.

‘Guy stuff.’ I shrug simply, ‘what did you do?’

‘Sat in my room.’ She makes a face causing me to laugh, ‘wasn’t fun. Paul came by.’

‘Oh he did?’

‘Yep, he’ll be with me 24/7 when I’m not with my parents.’

‘Lockdown.’ I tease turning my body so I could face her. ‘Are you going to come to the apartment tonight?’

‘Yes. Let me just tell my mom.’ Chrissy agrees before turning in her mom’s direction, ‘hey mom I’m going to the apartment with Justin after dinner.’

‘Alright, leave your phone on.’ Chrissy’s mom nods as she talks to my mom.

‘Wait.’ Isabelle’s annoying high-pitch voice chimes in. ‘They live together?’

At this time everyone at the table’s eyes were on us. Somehow I felt like her dad wouldn’t be my biggest fan pretty soon.

‘Hold on, what?’ Chrissy’s dad stares me down, ‘you live with my daughter?’

‘Well,’ I clear my throat uncomfortably, ‘it’s like this-…’

‘I live in Justin’s apartment with him, yes.’ Chrissy answers for me and I’m relieved. ‘We have for awhile.’

‘No.’ Her father shakes his head from left to right. ‘I will not have it.’

‘Tom.’ Chrissy’s mom decides to step in and say something.

‘Veronica.’ He fires back leaning back in the chair.

‘Please don’t act like you’ve been in my life for years.’ With that Chrissy pushes herself away from the table and storms right out the front door.

I hurry to my feet and rush out after her. She stands in the yard with her arms folded across her chest. I stand in front of her and pull her arms apart. Her eyes are focused on the grass, which was wet from the sprinklers.

‘Are you okay?’

‘No.’ she mutters shaking her head slowly.

‘I’m sorry about your dad.’ I sigh kissing her forehead, ‘I guess I see where he’s coming from.’

‘He doesn’t know anything about us.’

‘Yeah, no one really does except for us.’

‘I don’t want to be away from you until he leaves.’ She pouts poking her bottom lip out.

‘I know you don’t baby. I don’t want to either.’

‘So what are we going to do?’

‘I’m not sure yet.’

She opens her mouth to reply when the door opens. Her parents and Isabelle each walk out of the front door saying goodbye to my mom. So dinner was clearly over with for the night.

‘Thanks for coming.’ I nod politely.

‘Thanks for having us. Come on Chrissy, we’re going home.’

With a sigh she hugs me before trudging her way to the car. She climbs into the passenger side while her mom drives her car and her dad slides the black car from the driveway. Ryan, Nichole, and I sit around my mom’s house for an hour longer before going to the apartment. I set the alarm and check to see if each camera was up and running.

‘Where are you headed?’ Ryan asks as I slip my feet into my sneakers after I changed out of clothes from tonight.

‘Out. Be back soon.’

Chrissy’s Point of View

It was after midnight and I check my phone to see Justin text me.

Let me in? (: - Justin.

I hurry out of my room and quietly down the stairs to see Justin leaning against the front door. I pull him in and up the stairs to my room.

‘What are you doing here?’ I whisper.

My dad and Isabelle were just across the hall sleeping in the guest room. I couldn’t fathom the reason that my mom decided to let them stay here instead of the hotel like Isabelle insisted. She didn’t want to be here and quite frankly I didn’t want her here.

‘I wanted to see you.’

‘What about my dad?’

‘He said you couldn’t come to the apartment. He didn’t say anything about me coming here.’ Justin says with smirk propping himself up with his elbow.

‘Attempting to be a bad boy, are we?’

‘I guess you bring out my inner bad boy.’