If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-fifteen.

Justin’s Point of View

The next time I wake up in the hospital bed I was alone. Outside the door I could hear mom talking with the doctor. I couldn’t make out what they were saying but I know they weren’t letting me out any time soon. I stretch over in the bed despite the sharp pain to grab the phone. I dial Chrissy’s number just to have it go straight to her voicemail.

‘Hey you’re up.’ My mom says stepping through the doorway, ‘I sent everyone away.’

‘Yeah they’d probably got tired of here. I know I have.’

‘Your dad’s on his way.’

‘He is?’ I sit up in the bed drinking the cup of water waiting for me.

‘He wants to be here with you.’

‘I really don’t want to be, here.’ I say glancing around the plain hospital room. ‘Can’t I recover at the apartment?’

‘Justin I don’t kno-…’

‘Please mom. I want to lie in own bed, in my own place and not worry about a nurse selling pictures of me to TMZ or something. I want to wear my own clothes and get out of this, gown.’ I look down at the blue hospital gown they gave me when I woke up. ‘I really can feed myself and get myself to the bathroom so I don’t see why we’re here still.’

‘I’ll talk to the doctor.’ She says with a sigh before standing to her feet, ‘do you need anything?’

‘My phone or computer or anything I can tweet my Beliebers with. Bet they’re going crazy right now.’

‘I’ll be right back.’

‘Thanks mom.’

Ten minutes later my mom comes back with my phone and a change of clothes to put on then she went to go and talk with a nurse about the medication they had me on. I kick my legs off the bed and quickly strip down to pull the new set of clothes on. I go on the Internet to see the police commissioner released a statement yesterday. He informed people to keep a lookout for Chrissy and Carter. Carter’s picture shows on the screen and they go into detail of how he long he’s been in the force. They suggest not to confront him because he’s dangerous. I end the video and go onto Twitter.

@JustinBieber: as u may know theres a lot going on right now. I appreciate the kind words & comments. I ask that you keep Chrissy and her family in ur prayers.

@JustinBieber: I also ask that u guys respect everyones privacy during this difficult time as we wait for info. and please please please stay safe. Thank u. Love u all #MyBeliebers

I slip my feet into my slippers and ease my way to the door. My mom was at the front desk signing papers when I joined her. On the outside I could see all of the paps and people that awaited me.

‘How are you feeling?’ Kenny walks in with about a handful of large towers behind him.

‘Fine, just want to get out of this place.’

‘The car’s right out front so we’ll be quick about it.’

My mom and I were in the center of large men dressed in all black with sunglasses on. I feel her wrap an arm around mine as the door opened. I couldn’t help but feel this feeling of pain. Not my ribs or head. Not physically. Emotionally and mentally. I could feel Chrissy’s arm wrapped around mine whenever she was nervous about a large crowd or just any time really. I could feel her small fingertips against my skin.

‘JUSTIN HOW ARE YOU MAN?’

‘JUSTIN WHERE’S CHRISSY THORTON?’

‘ANY COMMENT ON OFFICER LARRY CARTER?’

‘ANYTHING YOU WANT TO SAY TO YOUR FANS?’

‘JUSTIN WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HEAD?’

‘WHY ARE YOU IN THE HOSPITAL?’

‘DO YOU THINK LAPD IS DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN?’

‘DO YOU TRUST THE POLICE AFTER THIS?’

‘JUSTIN CAN YOU MAKE A STATEMENT?’

‘JUSTIN ARE YOU OKAY?’

‘JUSITN WHAT’S GOING ON IN YOUR MIND?’

I help my mom into the blacked out van and then climb in myself. As the security was trying to get everyone safely out of the way I roll down to the window.

‘Justin what are you doing?’ My mom calls concerned.

‘Listen, do you guys want a statement?’ I call out sticking my head through the window. ‘Here’s a statement. My girlfriend has been taken away from me, her family, her friends, and anyone else who loves her and here you are waiting for me to come out of a hospital bed. The fact that you all are here is disrespectful. Not only to me but also to the people who are actually trying to get help and you’re blocking the door. You chase and you stalk and you don’t care who is trampled in the process. I was in the Verona, Italy and one of the paps actually knocked her down. You have no idea what I wanted to do to that man. She could’ve been hurt. Anything could’ve happened. But you life-sucking “photographers” don’t care. You don’t care about anyone besides yourselves and the person who pays you for this garbage. I know you’re probably just gonna run all of this to TMZ the moment I drive from this parking lot and that’s okay. I just feel sorry for you. Do your families know what you’re doing? Do you tell them that you stalk people for a living? You stalk people for a check. You wake up everyday and do this and I get it comes with the territory. I signed myself up for this in a way but she is missing. Chrissy Thorton is missing and you’re here. You should feel disgusted at yourselves. And there’s your statement.’

‘I think you handled that well.’ Mom places her hand on mine as the car finally pulls away from the curb.

We make it back to the apartment and I lay across the sofa while my mom sets the medication on the coffee table.

‘I could make you something to eat. I could fix the sofa up real nice so you can lay here if you wan-…’

‘Mom, I’m fine. Really. You’ve watched me long enough. I think you should take a break and check in with Roman.’

‘Are you sure?’

‘Yes, I’m just gonna watch TV. Find a movie or something. If I get hungry I could always order something. A few cracked ribs aren’t going to stop me.’

She nods as she wipes the tears away from her eyes. I could see she was attempting to put a brave face on for my benefit. She smiles but it quickly falls.

‘What’s wrong?’ I sit up on the sofa as she sits down beside me.

‘I was just so worried when Danielle called me. I could hear the sirens in the background as she tried to explain what happened. She said you were lying there when they got there. She said you were bleeding from the back of your head and they were taking you to the hospital. She didn’t know if you were okay or just what the damages were just yet. The entire car ride there I had so many thoughts traveling through my mind. I couldn’t lose my only son, my baby.’ She cuts off to wipe her eyes once more.

‘I’m sorry mom.’ I lean forward and wrap an arm around her. ‘I didn’t want to scare you.’

‘I know you didn’t.’

‘Thanks for helping me in the hospital and staying there the entire time but now I’m okay. You will be the first person I call if I need help reaching something.’ I stiff out a laugh hugging her again.

‘I better.’ She smiles as she stands up from the sofa. ‘I’ll be back when your father gets in.’

‘Alright, see you later.’

I watch as mom walks out of the apartment locking the door behind her. It wasn’t ten minutes later when someone was already knocking on the door.

‘Mom really you can g-… Mike.’ I move back letting my brief boxing teacher inside. ‘What are you doing here?’

‘I heard about what happened.’

‘Yeah I guess we hope for the best now.’

‘I also heard about the fight you had with Carter.’

‘I wouldn’t call it a fight really. More like he dropped kicked me down the stairs and stomped on my ribcage.’

‘You sound like you’ve given up.’

‘I haven’t. Believe me, I haven’t. I just don’t know how much I could do with this.’ I raise my shirt up showing off the tight bandages the doctor stuck me with.

‘I can help you get over that pain, if you want.’

‘Please. I really want to help her. Anything you can do will be great.’

‘Alright, this is what we’re going to do…’

Chrissy’s Point of View

‘So because my mom was nice to you, you decide to return her kindness by abducting her daughter? That makes sense.’

‘Well when you say it like that you make it sound wrong.’ Carter stiffs out a laugh.

‘Because it is wrong.’ I tug on the chains, ‘I have a family, friends, and a boyfriend waiting for me.’

‘Your boyfriend is a problem. I solve problems. I heard he checked himself out of the hospital earlier so I’m going to make sure he won’t be able to do it again.’

‘Don’t hurt him, please.’

‘Well what are you going to do for me?’

His dark sinister grin and his dark eyes were spine chilling.

‘Get away from me.’ I swallow hard turning my head away from his cigarette smoke.

‘As long as you’re not going anywhere, I have no complaints.’ He runs a hand through my hair, ‘for now.’

Carter stands to his feet and walks towards the door.

‘I’m going to get you something to eat and go into the city. Don’t do anything that you’ll regret.’

I watch silently as he walks out of the warehouse and makes sure to double lock the door behind him.

Justin’s Point of View

‘Hey dad.’ I say once my dad follows mom into the apartment a few hours after Mike had left.

‘Hey son. How are you feeling?’

‘A lot better actually.’ I don’t know what Mike did but it worked great.

In my mom’s absence I was able to do a little sparring out in the garage with Mike. My ribs and head felt one hundred percent better.

‘I’m guessing the medication is helping.’ Mom nods approvingly.

‘Something like that.’

Truth is I hadn’t taken any of that medicine since I left the hospital. All it does it make me tired and nauseous. That wasn’t a great combination when I was trying to find Chrissy.

‘Good.’

‘Dad, I hope you weren’t planning on a staying in a hotel room.’ I note looking around for his bags.

‘I didn’t want to intrude.’

‘You’re my dad. You’d never intrude. Get your bags.’

‘I’ll be right back.’ He replies happily and slips out the front door.

‘So I’m guessing you’re doing better?’

‘A lot better actually.’

‘I’m glad.’ Mom replies squeezing my hand, ‘I had a feeling you would be.’

After the three of us have dinner mom says goodbye for the night and dad heads up to the guest room. It was close to midnight when he came in and sat in the free chair beside my bed.

‘Jaz and Jax are watching Rocky for you while I’m gone.’ He informs me.

‘Bet they loved that.’

‘How are you holding up?’

‘I am just praying that everything’s going to work out in the end.’

‘That’s the way to do it. When’s the last time you saw Chrissy?’

‘The last time I saw Chrissy was at the airport.’

‘Did you know anything was up then?’

‘I knew about the notes but I didn’t know that I was being sent away for my own good while she went out looking for the creep.’

‘I can’t believe its Carter.’

‘Me neither but then again, I’m not surprised. I could’ve sworn I saw him looking at her in a way I didn’t like. He looked at her like she was this piece of meat he so desperately craved. I thought I was seeing things and didn’t want to be that crazy possessive boyfriend.’

‘She’ll be okay.’ Dad says after awhile of silence, ‘she’ll be okay.’

‘Everyone keeps telling me that I just hope they’re right.’

‘Try to get some sleep.’

‘Goodnight.’ I say as he closes the bedroom door and goes across the hall.

I wait at least an hour before I ease out of the room with my duffle bag thrown over my shoulder. I quietly go downstairs and to the garage starting the Range Rover up and driving out of the garage. I had to find her.