If I Was Your Boyfriend

sixty-nine.

Justin’s Point of View

So I’m at this party with Chrissy. Something one of her friends are throwing. I really don’t know. As long as I’m with her it didn’t matter where I was. We were dancing and having a good time when some guy walks past wearing a Batman suit. Chrissy’s eyes follow the stranger all the way to the bar where he takes the mask off. ‘Nicholas?’ I hear her say aloud. My body goes numb for a second as I put the two and two together. While Chrissy was in London someone named Nicholas slipped her his phone number but here we are in Paris. That couldn’t be him. Could it? No way. There is no way he’s here right now.

‘The guy from London?’ I hear myself ask. I’m afraid of the answer that comes from her lips.

‘That’s him.’ She confirms with a slow nervous nod. The numbness in my body turns into anger. Is he following her? I remove my hands from Chrissy’s sides and step toward him. Her arms are still around my waist holding me there. ‘What are you doing?’ she asks me.

‘I’m going to ask this guy what’s up.’ I answer trying to move again, but she’s pulling me back. Chrissy may be small and delicate but she’s got some strength in here no doubt about it.

‘What are you going to do?’ she wonders.

‘I am going to ask him a few questions, Chrissy. You said he lives in London but here he is in Paris. He’s a little far from his home, try a couple hundred miles away from his home. In the same room as my girlfriend and in the same costume as me. I am most definitely going over there to see what his problem is.’ If he doesn’t say what I want to hear, things may go a little different but I won’t tell Chrissy that.

‘Justin.’ Chrissy sighs shaking her head.

‘Chrissy.’ I state, calming my breathing. ‘Please let me go. I will be right back.’ She opens her mouth to say something but releases me anyway. ‘Stay right here.’ I tell her before snaking through the bodies of people dancing. I take seat in a metal stool right beside him. ‘Nice costume.’ I nod my head towards him.

‘Thanks.’ He says in return. I look around at all of the people moving. In the crowd I see Chrissy saying excuse to every single person she passes. Chrissy being Chrissy, the stubborn girl she is followed me.

‘So you know my girlfriend right?’ I pull her by her wrist and protectively placing my hand around her waist. She stands there holding onto my arm. ‘I told you to wait there baby.’ I remind her lowly. I didn’t want to take my anger or frustration out on her so I stay calm.

‘I know.’ She nods not taking her eyes off of me.

‘Chrissy Thorton, right?’ this guy pipes up. I almost forgot he was standing there for a second.

‘That’s right.’ I hiss in his direction, ‘my girlfriend.’

‘Good to see you again.’ He has the nerve to say right in front of me. If he was trying to test my patience it was definitely working.

‘Your accent. It’s British, right?’ I inquire, my grip growing tight on her waist. She leans against me which makes me feel better. I feel her other hand slowly circle my back comfortingly.

‘That’s right.’ He replies.

‘So what’s a guy who’s British doing here in Paris? That’s what has me so confused. More importantly what is the guy who gave my girlfriend his phone number doing at the same party she’s at right now?’ the blood in my body began to boil. I practically hear Chrissy gulp under me.

‘Excuse me?’ he retorts. Is this guy stupid or what?

‘Why are you here?’ I ask again, feeling my jaw clench. Habit. As he opens his mouth some girl stands beside him. No. Not her. A small gasp escapes from Chrissy’s perfect little lips.

‘He’s here with me.’ Selena loops her arm through his, ‘he was invited. So stop hounding my date.’ Selena had some long red dress on. So if he was Batman and they came together what is she supposed to be? If I didn’t know any better I would think she was attempting to be Rachel from Batman. This was low even for her.

‘You are unbelievable.’ Chrissy snaps at Selena before hurrying off. I turn back to them, disgusted. I don’t know what I ever saw in her. How could someone be so hateful? I was too concerned about Chrissy to worry about them. I jog through all the people and grab Chrissy’s arm pulling her to a table in the corner of the room. I sit across from her and pull the mask from over my head. My face is immediately hit with cool wind from the vent above us.

‘What’s on your mind?’ I ask trying to get her to talk to me. She hides behind the black mask she’s wearing. I slowly bring my hands to her face and pull the mask from over her head. From the distance flashes went off of people taking pictures of us. I sigh frustrated and ignore it. Chrissy bites at her nails looking down at the shiny boots she had on. ‘Chris?’ I peck her cheek looking into her eyes.

‘They ripped off our costumes.’ Chrissy frowns at me.

‘Well you look so much better.’ I tell her. ‘Everyone here thinks the same thing I’m pretty sure. You look so sexy in that.’ I watch as a small smile makes its way onto her face. ‘You do.’

‘Thank you Justin.’ She leans in and kisses me.

‘You’re welcome baby.’ I reply, ‘lets find the others and get out of here, okay?’

‘Okay.’ She nods standing up with me. We grab our masks and walk hand-in-hand looking for the others. I text Garrett and tell him to meet us out by the car where Paul was waiting.

Chrissy’s Point of View

‘She did what?’ Danielle asks as I finish telling her about our recent run-in with Selena. ‘I told you that guy was a creep! Especially when he brought the flowers to the premiere!’ Danielle blurts. I look at her with wide-eyes. Justin turns towards me with a confused expression.

‘Flowers? What flowers?’

‘He showed up to the premiere with some flowers, but I turned him down.’ I tell Justin.

‘I should’ve done a lot more than talk to him when I had the chance.’ Justin shakes his head looking out of the window. I couldn’t tell if he was upset with me or the whole situation. Minutes passed and no one else said a word. Justin places his hand on my thigh halfway back to the hotel. I look over at him and he offers me a small grin. ‘We’re not going to let anyone come in between us, remember?’

‘No one.’ I confirm place my hand over his. ‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ Justin repeats kissing my head. We make it back to the hotel and go up to the room.

‘I’m going to shower.’ I tell him.

‘Alright. I’ll be right here.’ Justin replies already on his phone. I sit down on the side of the tub and pull the stealthy boot from my foot. It’s swollen and a bit sore from the dancing all night. I wince as I stand in the tub and the hot water hits my body. After I finish with my shower I hobble out to the bed and plop down next to Justin. ‘Y-your foot.’ He points stunned, ‘I’ll go get some ice.’ Before I could protest Justin hurries out of the room and comes back with a bucket of ice. He goes into the bathroom and grabs two large towels. ‘Here.’ He says placing the largest pillow under my foot and slowly pressing the homemade ice pack against it. ‘I’m gonna jump in the shower. Be right back.’

‘Okay.’ I reply laying back in the bed. I listen as the shower water turns on and Justin begins singing in the shower. Once he’s finished he comes back in a pair of sweats.

‘How is it?’ he wonders crawling into the bed next to me.

‘It’s okay.’ I reply looking up from the television. ‘You smell good.’ I smile pressing my lips to his warm skin.

‘You smell good too.’ He chuckles taking my hand in his. ‘Have you given any thought to what I asked?’ Justin inquires playing with my hand. He waits anxiously for my reply.

‘You ask a lot of things.’ I point out. I knew exactly what Justin was hinting at.

‘About you moving in with me.’ Justin reminds me. Move in with me. He asked over twenty four hours ago. I still didn’t have an answer for him. I look into his sweet brown eyes that blinked back at me. I could wake up to those eyes every single day. I could fall asleep to those eyes at night. I didn’t want everything to go wrong once Justin and I were around each other much more often. ‘You don’t have to respond right now.’ Justin chimes in, ‘I just wanted to know you’re still thinking about it.’

‘I am.’ I assure him.

‘That’s all I ask.’ He kisses the tip of my nose running his hand up and down my side. ‘You’re so beautiful.’ He smiles. I bury my face into his sweet smelling skin leaving a kiss on his crown tattoo. ‘Keep the ice pack on your foot.’ Justin instructs.

‘Yes sir.’ I reply readjusting the falling icepack. ‘Justin?’

‘Yeah?’

‘When do you leave?’ I ask curiously.

Justin sighs before opening his mouth to say something, 'you know how much I hate that question.'

'As much as I hate hearing your answer.' I respond against his skin.

'I'm leaving tomorrow night.'

'I'll be home soon.' I tell him. He nods with a small grin.

'We can finally spend time together.'

'I can't wait.' I retort. I meant it. Justin and I haven't had time together in Los Angeles for awhile and this time it was going to be for a span of months. From the start Justin was on the Believe tour. During the breaks I was filming. He finished with the tour and I had to go on a promotional tour. Now he’s in studio off and on so the timing’s perfect. ‘We’ll get to go on more dates.’ I pipe.

‘That’s right.’ Justin nods his head again, ‘and be lazy around the house with Rocky.’

‘Where is Rocky?’ I wonder.

‘He’s with Jackie. It’s too late to go wake her up now. We can get him in the morning.’

‘We’re taking him with us tomorrow morning.’ I say and Justin agrees.

‘Baby.’ Justin says stroking my hair.

‘Yeh?’ I don’t look at him.

‘Baby..’ he says lower this time. I bring my eyes to his to see he’s staring at me. Before I could ask what again he smashes his lips against mine. ‘I love you.’ He says as he pulls back.

‘I love you too.’ I kiss his lips once more. By the time I wake up the next morning Justin has Rocky in the room and he’s dressed. ‘Good morning.’ I say sitting up in the bed.

‘Good morning.’ Justin replies. ‘Do you want to go grab some breakfast with Rocky and me?’

‘I’d love to.’ I get up and get ready for the day. I pack my suitcase for the luggage tonight and follow Justin out of the hotel with Rocky.

‘I wish everyday was like this.’ Justin says gesturing to our intertwined hands and Rocky in front of us.

‘I do too. It’s perfect.’

Justin’s Point of View

Chrissy and I were sitting outside some café eating our breakfast since the place has some strict no dog policy. Rocky was at my feet eating some pastry I snuck him. Chrissy doesn’t like when I give him human food but he likes it. I look across the table at this beautiful girl before me. I watch as she picks at her fingernail, bad habit she always says. ‘What?’ she asks through her giggle after realizing I was staring her.

‘Nothing.’ I shake my head, ‘I’m just taking in the sites.’ I could never lose her. I don’t what I’d do if this ever ended. I wouldn’t be able to move on from her. That’s impossible. If it’s not Chrissy, then it’d just be a downgrade.