Sequel: Secrets

We Are Young

Everyone

“LAST DAY OF SCHOOL MOTHER FUCKERS!!!” Dylan exclaimed. Steve sighed. “Hey, cheer up, bro, it’s summer time! I know I have summer school to graduate, but I can enjoy it while I last”

Oh yeah, the karma kicked in for Dylan, he wasn’t graduating without passing math in summer school.

Steve shook his head. “You ruined everything for Kaya and I”

“You didn’t really like her” Dylan said.

“I do like her” Steve said. “She’s so cool, she’s into normal teenage stuff instead of drugs. She comes to my baseball games and supports me even though I’m like the worst person on the team”

“You’re not the worst person on the team”

“Shut the fuck up and listen!” Steve exclaimed. “I really like her, and I wanted Staya to happen”

“Staya?” Dylan asked.

“Steve and Kaya combined…it’s like Naomily”

“What’s Naomily?”

“The famous relationship of Naomi and Emily on Skins…see, I can talk Skins with her, I didn’t even know people liked that show” Steve put his head down on his desk.

Dylan was realizing just how bad he fucked up.



Liv kissed Taylor. “Last day of school mother fuckers!” Brandon exclaimed. Brandon took out a spliff in the courtyard and lit it.

“Do you know if your class prez for senior year?” Jayden asked Liv. Liv shook her head.

“Not quite, they’re announcing the results at the end of the day” she said. “I’m excited”



Christian sat in the principal’s office, playing with the pens and pencils the principal had in a mug on the desk.

“Christian” she said. “Christian” Christian snapped out of it and listened. “Christian, your not going to graduate”

“Yeah I am, I’m going to summer school then I’m graduating during the summer…you told me so a month back” Christian said.

The principal removed her glasses and stared at her computer screen. “I was wrong, Christian” she said. “Your grades, they’re not good enough, you’d have to repeat the 12th grade”

Just like that, any hope Christian had was gone. His whole world was gone, and no longer was anything worth it.



“You’re not graduating?” Dylan asked him. “No way” but then Dylan thought about him. Him and Steven joked about the Super F for months now.

“It’s over” Christian collected his things. “I’m going to drop out and get my GED. Pizza Chef is hiring, so I’ll go work with Jay for a while until I can find a better job” Dylan couldn’t believe it.

“Just repeat the senior year” Dylan said.

“I can’t” Christian said. “I’m so sick of this place. I miss Kaci so much, my body has been making me see her in random places…I can’t do this anymore” Christian zipped his bag, closed his locker and left the school. Dylan sighed.



Liv sat in her usual seat to report the mid-day news. “Hello MHS, I’m Liv Henderson and this is your mid-day report. The Spring Fling celebrating the last day of school will start at 7 pm and end around 11:30. Casual attire. Regarding the class elections…” Liv looked down at her paper. She saw the results, she didn’t win. “Let’s go to Alice for the results” Dylan gave her the signal that she was off the air. Liv got up and left the room.

She wanted to cry. How come she didn’t win? The class loved her.

Jayden walked down the hall. “I heard the results”

“What changed?” Liv asked. “I brought our class to victory and everyone betrays me”

“It’s because of Taylor” Jayden said. “Someone said it during class…my snobby English class”

“Yeah”

“Sarah Jane…the technical new class president, said Taylor does drugs, so Liv probably does to, why put a druggie in the president position”

Liv sighed, she could feel the tears coming on. “Of course this has nothing to do with politics and it has to do with Taylor” Liv was already thinking about dumping him, to be reconsidered as president.



“I want you” Zack said. “I Promise to be gentle” Jill tried to smile, but she felt a little uncomfortable. Zack pulled his shirt on, then started to unbutton Jill’s jeans, she felt so awkward.

He started to wedge her jeans down her legs, kissing her in all the right places.

“NO!” Jill exclaimed. She pushed Zack away and pulled her jeans back on. “Get away from me!” She grabbed her things and headed out the door. Zack chased her and beat her to his front door.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“I can’t do this…I can’t” Jill said. “I just don’t like you enough to do that” that broke Zack’s heart. “Maybe we should see other people” Jill said.

“…ok” he said softly. Jill left. Zack threw himself on the couch and curled into a little ball. “Ok” he repeated. “Ok”

Jill ran down the street, she was bawling. She held herself. She didn’t want anyone to see her body, that’s why she didn’t eat, it was as simple as that. She never wanted anyone to see.

She just kept reliving the night when Christian attempted to rape her. IN her head it happened almost like it was yesterday.

She cried as hard as she could. Her make up started to run.

“Why does this continue to haunt me?” she asked herself. “Why can’t it just go away!” she screamed at the top of her lungs. “WHY CAN’T I JUST LIVE MY LIFE!”



“Dude, Dover is three hours away” Dylan told Steve. Steve was getting his things in his car. He was going to Dover High School to see Kaya at her last guard competition. If Steve at least showed interest to drive three hours maybe Kaya would talk to him again.

“I don’t care…I like her a lot” Steve said. Steve showed Dylan out of the way of the driver’s door. “I know you like her too, you got your wish, she hates me, but she hates you, too” Steve drove away. He didn’t take any stops, any breaks until he was in Dover, New Hampshire.

When he arrived her bought a ticket and some flowers. He grabbed a program and found out what time the school’s guard was on. He went into the stands to watch. Just as he sat down their school started to set their things.

He watched in awe. He wanted Kaya toss various pieces of equiptment and catch them effortlessly in her hand. She was truly graceful, even as a zombie.

He even started to drool for a second. He made the choice right then and there, he was falling in love with her if she wanted to or not.

After the show, Steve found the class room the girls were in. He knocked on the door. Immediately Kaya looked up and smiled, the smile didn’t last for long.

Kaya walked outside the class room. “What do you want?” she asked.

“You’re not even a little bit happy that I came to see you?” Steve asked. “That I brought you flowers?” Kaya took the flowers.

“Well, daisy’s are my favorite” they both smiled. “But is this real…do you have feelings for me or is this just another dare”

“I did not drive by myself for three hours for another dare” Steve said. “I’m falling…I really like you” Kaya smiled. She gathered enough courage to kiss him on the cheek. Steve leaned in and kissed her on the lips.



Jayden quickly put her clothes back on. Why did she agree to have sex with him now?

Brandon relaxed in his bed. “How was it?” he asked. Jayden hid her face from him.

“it was great” she said. She covered her bare stomach. She felt so ugly, so ashamed of herself. It really wasn’t beautiful, she felt like some kind of piece of meat to him. He wasn’t passionate at all. “This is what I get for growing up too fast” she said. She looked all over for her shirt.

Brandon pulled it out from underneath him. “Found it” he said. He threw the shirt. She quickly put it over her body. “Don’t you wanna stay and relax? Didn’t your band teacher tell you some kind of innuendo for that…instead of just hitting the note and leaving it, aren’t you supposed to hold on to it a little longer?” Brandon asked.

Well, at least he was listening to her and not staring at her boobs all the time, that’s reassuring.

“I told you I have work” Jayden said. “I need to…um…change and eat something first” Brandon put his shirt on.

“Are you sure you’re ok…if you’re worried I used protection I did” he said. He put the rest of his clothes back on.

“It’s nothing, everything’s fine” she said. She grabbed her bag and left his house. She just wanted to cry and cut herself. Crying and cutting herself, two things she’s extremely good at.

She never thought her mother was right. She never once thought, when she was with Brandon, that she needed to be perfect. But just the way they had sex, it made her feel so hideous and disgusting.



The spring fling, the last major social event of the year was that night. The seniors were graduating just a few days later, oh wait, not all of them.

Not everything ends in happily ever after



“I’m kind of sick of her shit” Kevin said. “She’s a huge bitch and I still think she is”

Zack sighed. “It’s not her…it’s what happened last year” Zack said. “Christian tried to take advantage of her, and I don’t think she can have sex with me…even though she said she wanted to and it was her idea…because it brings back memories”

“How do you know?” Taylor asked. He sipped at his spiked punch outside the school.

“She screamed it outside my house on her way out” Zack said. “Just a hunch, I guess” Taylor chuckled.

“I can’t wait until I have sex with Liv”

“Don’t get too excited’ Kevin said. “According to Brandon, Jayden didn’t like it at all”

Liv watched on as Taylor talked with his friends. “You don’t have to leave him” Brianna said.

“I need to…if I leave him, maybe I can scrape up student council or NHS presidency” Liv turned to Brianna. “I want to go into politics, I need the practice, and all the experience on my college applications”

“Who cares” Brianna said. “Becoming a senator, or future president of the united states has nothing to do with high school politics…it’s high school, you said your self the teachers handled most of the politics, you just said stuff to the juniors” Brianna said. “You like Taylor…you like Taylor a lot, and you want to be with him more than being president”

“High school is my present and soon my fast…politics, politics will become my future”

“Eventually it’ll become your past though” Brianna said as Liv walked over to Taylor. “And when you have Taylor by your side when you’re weak and retired, you will thank me!” Liv pulled Taylor aside…it had to be done.



Steve put his arms around Kaya and pulled her close while they were dancing. “Dylan’s so jealous” Steve said. he flashed Dylan a quick wink.

“Liv hinted that he might like…I don’t know why”

“Well, we both have the same reasons for liking you…you got us seriously into Pokémon again”

“Well, your welcome, I’m glad I can bring a classic back” they both giggled together.

“So, I wanna know more about you…” he started. “Have both your parents?” she nodded. “Any siblings?”

“Two younger ones” she said. “Kylan and Kat”

“Kylan…that name sounds familiar”

“He’s a freshman, Kat’s in the 6th grade…do you have any siblings?”

“Nope, I’m an only child”

“That sucks, but yet, you’re lucky, having a little sister is ridiculous work. She’s such a slut, she’s turning into a little Lauren Perry” they laughed. “If you want my siblings, you can totally have them” she said. “What’s your home life like?”

“Like yours, expect a lot more quiet. My mom’s very over protective since my parents split up. My dad usually kept an eye on me and told me guy stuff, but now she’s on her own and it’s hard”

“Where’s your dad?”

“In Boston with my step mom and two half sisters and one step brother”

“So technically you do have siblings”

“Yeah, but I don’t know them, they’re like 3, 5 and 11, I can’t really talk to them about the stuff I do…they look up to me, but we only see each other during Christmas and sometimes Thanksgiving if my mom’s working” he explained.

“They look up to you” Kaya said. “Try to get to know them and inspire them”

“I want to, but I fucking hate my dad for cheating on my mom”

“Yeah, my parents split too” Kaya said.

“Really?”

“Yeah, about 8 years ago, he wasn’t cheating, they just fucking hated each other after having so many kids. No time to be with each other”

“Oh…depressing. So I guess you know the ropes”

“I know step mothers and half siblings better than you ever will. I’m a fucking pro” they laughed.

“I’ll take your advice then, I want to be a cool older sibling” Steve said. “Thanks”

“I try to be helpful…well, more about you…what’s that tattoo?”

“Got it when I was like 14…for this girl I thought I loved…I don’t want to talk about exes, just trust me, getting this removed has been a long process and I’m so glad it’s starting to fade”

“Tattoo’s are cool”

“Yeah, when they’re not of people’s names”

“You must be brave…did it hurt”

“Like a bitch”

“I want a tattoo”

“Trust me…you don’t” she laughed. “What’s your favorite TV show?”

“Skins, for sure”

“Like the U.K show?”

“Yeah, it’s awesome, I’ll show it to you on Netflix sometime”

“What’s it about?”

“High school, drugs, sex, friendship. It’s our school but with more drugs and sex”

“Sweet” Steve said. “My favorite kind of shows”

“So, does this mean I’m your girlfriend now?” Kaya asked. Steve smirked.

“I don’t know, do you want to be my girlfriend?”

“Only if you want me to be my boyfriend”

Steve bit his lip. “Well, I definitely want to be your boyfriend”

“So I definitely want to be your girlfriend” Kaya stood on her toes and kissed Steve softly on the lips.

It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.



Brandon looked all over the gymnasium for Jayden. He refused to graduate this summer without knowing what was crippling their relationship. He knew if he didn’t say something it was going to end.

He loved her to much to watch her go.

After a few minutes of searching, and the idea of giving up floating around his head, he finally found her sitting by herself in a corner. He ran as fast as he could, pushing through the crowds of dancing teenagers to his love.

He sat next to her at first, and didn’t say a word.

“I’m sorry” she said after a few minutes. “I’m so sorry”

“Sorry for what?” Brandon asked.

“For being like this” Brandon looked into her eyes, he could tell immediately she had been crying. “I never wanted to be the complicated girlfriend”

“Your not complicated…your one of the best girlfriend’s I’ve ever had” he admitted. “We’ve had a few problems…but it’s been all my fault and you have reasons to freak out”

“I love you a ton” Jayden said. “And I want to be with you physically…but I just…” a tear rolled down her cheek.

“It’s ok” he said. “We don’t have to have sex anymore…you don’t even have to give me an explanation; whenever you’re ready I’ll be ready, too” Jayden smiled and kissed him. “Jazz, you’re seriously the best girlfriend I’ve ever had, and I never want to lose you” Jayden smiled.

In the corner, Zack saw the romance between Jayden and Brandon. Somehow they managed to work it out. How did Zack plan on working it out with Jill?

Zack saw Jill across the gym with Maria and a few other close friends, did she want to talk to him? Did she have feelings for him? The only reason they are together is because of her. The only reason they have problems…is also because of her.

Zack walked over to Jill. As soon as Jill saw him, she walked over and met him half way.

“Hey” she said softly. But over the loud music it was barely received.

“Hey” he said.

“I’m sorry” Jill said. “I freaked out unnessecarily on you” she explained. “I like you, I really do, it’s just…”

“The whole Christian thing?” Jill nodded.

“I know you’re not raping me, but it’s just…frightening. I love you, and I would like to be with you like that…but for now, I just can’t” she said. “I’m going to a therapist now, I finally told someone about it, I’m getting over it” Zack hugged Jill.

They heard the sound of fireworks from outside. All the students in grades nine through twelve ran outside in the pitch black darkness to see the sky light up with various colors.

All nine juniors and seniors stood side by side. They didn’t believe they would have any connection with each other at the beginning of the school year, and now they’re all friends.

Kaya, Jayden, Jill and Liv giggled to themselves at everything that has happened to them this year.

Jill fake-dated Zack for a few months then fell for him hopelessly. Jayden fell in love with a boy too dangerous for her own good. Kaya continued to be a hopeless nerdy romantic for just about every boy and eventually found out she doesn’t understand the male gender. And Liv turned the school upside down by leading them to a winter carnival victory for the first time in twenty years.

The five boys stood with each other, giving each other smiles as they remember what they’ve been through this year. Zack fell for two girls, Lauren and Jill, and he realized the girl he was meant to be with was right in front of him the whole time. Brandon coerced a witty, sarcastic, introverted girl to join his side of life, and eventually fell hard for her. Steve moved into town and was literally pushed to date a girl he didn’t even know, even though it turned out pretty good. Taylor liked the same girl the whole school year, and finally gave Liv a reason to like him back. And then there was Christian, he was completely in doubt about his feelings for Kaci, and then he lost her.
No matter what happened this year, no one could have seen it coming. This is why life is so beautiful. Just wait, it’ll get even better.