Status: Short contest entry

I Tripped and Fell in Love

Chapter 2

Carmen’s POV

I watched Sidney from across the room as he laughed with the elderly couple that had grabbed his attention moments before I could slip away from the bar and thus a drunk, touchy Max Talbot. Jordan left me almost an hour ago when his girlfriend finally showed up and he had interviews to do and pictures to pose for as well. The award ceremony started before I was able to get to Sidney, so I downed the rest of my wine and ordered another glass to take to my seat with me. I watched as Sidney made his way to the podium and clapped just as loud if not louder than the rest of the people in the crowd. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him as he gave his speech.

He looked so sexy standing up there in his grey pinstriped suit with the purple tie I got him for Christmas last year.He thinks I don’t see the way he looks at me from time to time. He thinks I’m off in my own little world, but little does he know that I do see the looks and I love them. It’s been almost a year since I’ve come to terms with the feelings I have for Sidney and I’ve also come to terms with the fact that he would never feel the same for me. The looks though, say otherwise, the little voice of hope said. I shut that voice up with another large gulp of wine. Sidney’s beautiful caramel eyes scanned the crowd and landed on me and my heart flipped, especially when he smirked at me. Nothing too noticeable, but just something that I’ve become accustomed to throughout the years of our friendship.

Sidney wrapped up his speech and everyone stood, well I wobbled. I went to the bar once more and ordered another glass of wine not caring about the headache I was going to have in the morning.

“You know what that stuff does to you.” A silky, familiar voice says from behind me. Sending shivers of pleasure down my spine and settling in my lower stomach.

I shrugged and accepted the glass from the bartender and faced Sidney. “Great speech.” I winked before taking a healthy sized sip of my drink.

“Thanks,” he smirked. Damn that smirk, I thought as I took yet another sip of wine. “Easy there, Car.” Sidney says.

I shrugged. “Why? I don’t have to be in work tomorrow.”

This time Sidney sighed. “Because I know what wine does to you. You’re going to be in so much pain tomorrow.”

I shrugged again. “Oh well.” and turned back to the bar. I heard Sidney sigh again and walk away. Instantly I felt bad, I knew he was just looking out for me, but my feelings were so jumbled up that I needed the wine to relax.

By the end of the night I had been cut off not only by Sidney, but by the bartender as well and I was ready to go home. Luckily for me so was Sidney. The ride home was quite and I laid my head on the cool window trying to keep my head from spinning right off my shoulders. Sidney was right, I was going to be in pain tomorrow. As I laid there, I could feel Sidney’s gaze on me once again.

“Take a picture, it lasts longer.” I slurred, then giggled. I heard Sidney sigh, but then he didn’t say something back. Maybe he did though, I don’t remember because the darkness took over me.

I woke up when I felt myself being lifted out of the car and carried. I wrapped my arms around Sidney’s neck and buried my face in his chest, inhaling his scent. We made it inside and Sidney took me right to my room and gently laid me down on my bed. He went to straighten up, but my arms around his neck wouldn’t let him.

“Car, let go. You need to let go.” He said quietly.

I shook my head and pulled him closer to me, even though he hesitated. I slowly opened my eyes and saw the pained expression on his face.

“Sid, kiss me.” I said softly.

Sidney’s eyes opened and he just stared at me. I saw in his eyes, the war he was having with himself. So I lifted my head off the pillows and kissed him. He froze at first, but when my tongue traveled across his plump bottom lip, he relaxed and kissed me back. My body buzzed from the contact and I wanted more. I slipped my hands under his suit jacket and pushed it off his broad shoulders. Sidney pulled away and slipped his jacket off and tossed it carelessly on the floor. Next thing I went for was his tie, once that was removed I made work on the buttons of his white dress shirt, all while Sidney attacked my neck. When my hands made contact with his warm skin, that's when he stopped. He pulled away from me and looked down at me with a sad look.

He shook his head slightly. "I can't do this, Car. I'm sorry." He stood up and closed the buttons on his shirt.

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed and ran a hand down his face. "Because you're my best friend Carmen and I don't want to ruin that with you. Plus, you're drunk." He walked over to me and kissed my forehead. "I'll see you in the morning. Sleep tight." and with that he was out the door.

What have I just done?"