The More Boys I Meet

Nineteen

I opened my eyes to find the house dark, the movie over, and an arm wrapped around my waist. Where was I?

I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes, gathering in my surroundings. I was in the living room and I turned around, half expecting Pat to be there, snoring. I was pleasantly surprised to see Marcus there instead. He laid on his side, one arm out where I was probably sleeping on it, the other curled up against him, his mouth slightly open; he actually looked at peace.

I stood up to get a glass of water and I came back, feeling sleepy again. I was debating on going upstairs or staying down here and pretending I never woke up, when Marcus started to groan and shift on the couch.

I cocked my head to one side and watched him. He didn’t look so peaceful anymore, more like he was in pain. He rubbed his head, turning over again and again as if he couldn’t get comfortable.

“Marcus?” I whispered, shaking him slightly. “Marcus!” I gave him a quick hard shake and his eyes snapped open, pupils dilated, searching the room. “Are you okay?”

One hand was gripping his head, the other clutching the couch with a death like grip. “What?” he asked after a few seconds and I could see he was really stating to wake up. “Yeah. Yeah,” he sighed. Releasing his grip on both and laying back down.

“I’ll be right back,” I said, getting up and going into the bathroom, returning with some Advil. “Drink,” I ordered, sliding the pills and the glass of water over to him.

He only hesitated for a second before gulping them down and sitting back against the cushions. “Did I wake you?” he asked after a moment.

I shook my head. “I had already woken up.”

He nodded.

“What were you dreaming about?” I asked.

He looked up, confused by something, and shook his head. “I’m still trying to sort it out,” he admitted.

I nodded and stood. “Come on,” I helped him to his feet. “The couch is no longer comfy.”

“And where are we going?” he asked, nonetheless following me up the stairs and into my bedroom. “Oh a bed. I should have known that.”

I laughed quietly. “Get in and get some sleep.”

“Where do you think you’re going?” he asked as I turned towards the door.

I looked over my shoulder, a small smirk across my lips. “To change into pajamas sweetheart. I’m not giving you my whole bed. Where would I sleep?”

He smiled. “Good point.”

“Want to borrow something of Pat’s to wear?” I asked, changing shamelessly into a pair of boxer shorts and a tank in front of Marcus.

“No, I should be fine,” he said.

“You’re in jeans and a sweater. Come on,” I crossed my arms.

He narrowed his eyes. “Are you trying to get me naked?”

I shoved him playfully and jumped into bed. “Suit yourself. Sleep in uncomfortable jeans.”

He thought about it and sighed, pulling off his sweater. He dug around in my drawer until he found a pair of Patrick’s sweats I took for myself before changing into those.

“It’s kind of creepy you know I have those,” I commented lightly as he climbed in next to me.

“Kaner’s been bitching that you have them. I figured they were either here or at school. I got lucky.”

We laid in silence for a little while. “Marcus?” I asked quietly.

“Yes?”

“Why didn’t you come over to say goodbye to me before I left for school?”

He paused. “This seems a little random.”

“It’s been bugging me for a while now,” I admitted.

He sighed. “I had grown used to you here and then all of a sudden you weren’t going to be here anymore,” he said quietly.

“Change,” I said.

“Yeah. Change.”

“You still could have said goodbye,” I muttered, turning over to face the wall instead of him.

“I should have.”

I laid there in silence until I heard his breathing even out and deepen and I knew he was asleep. I sighed and turned over to face him and I was surprised to see he was still awake, brown eyes blinking back at me. “Damn, you’re creepy,” I said.

He smiled. “I promise I’ll say goodbye next time.”

“Good,” I said. “Or else I’m not coming back and you have to deal with these idiots all by yourself.”

“That would not turn out well,” he said.

“Exactly.”

He smiled and yawned. “This time I’m going to fall asleep for real,” he told me.

“Night Marcus.”

“Night Ells.”

I turned over again and I felt Marcus pull me closer and he wrapped his arms around me. “I’ll apologize in the morning. But for right now, you’ll ward off the nightmares.”

“Okay,” I said, waiting to fall asleep until I knew for sure he had fallen asleep and then I waited a little longer, just to make sure that I really did ward off those nightmares. After I was positive he was asleep and harmlessly dreaming innocent things, I let myself drift off to sleep in Marcus Kruger’s arms. And it meant absolutely nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Thanks for all the comments on all of my stories! It's awesome to have your feedback!