The More Boys I Meet

Thirty Three

I was too busy to talk to any of the guys for the next week and a half. Alice and I signed up for some charity work in the animal shelter down the road, I had finals, and I actually went to a few parties.

The day I was supposed to go home, no one came for me. I panicked and called Pat, making sure no one was in a car accident.

“I didn’t know you were coming home,” his voice didn’t exactly scream happiness or joyful.

“Well yeah. It’s Christmas,” I said like it was obvious, because you know, it was.

“How was I supposed to know to come get you? You never picked up any of my calls!”

“I was busy Pat!” I exclaimed.

“For almost two weeks?” he sounded suspicious.

“What is the matter with you? Yes! Something called finals and Alice and I were doing some charity work. You know, boost the resumes. And I was hanging out with some people too!”

“What, we’re not good enough for you anymore?” he sneered.

I stared at my phone. Who was this? “You know you guys are my best friends, but am I not allowed to have anyone else outside of you guys?”

“That’s not what I said,” he said darkly.

“What are you saying then?” I asked. “Because all I was doing was having fun for once during the school year. I never have fun while I’m here. Want to know why? Because I got a full ride scholarship here and I cannot ruin it under any circumstance. So for the past three years I’ve studied my ass off, made like no friends here and finally I make a few and now what? I’m stranded here because you’re acting childish?” I shouted.

“Whatever. I’m not the only one,” he said icily. “The Swedes aren’t too happy with you either. You didn’t come home a few weeks ago. You always come home. You came home when Marcus was hurt and when Johnny was hurt.”

“Because I was busy!”

“Yeah, too busy for your best friends,” he said.

“You know what?” I said, gripping the phone. “I’ll get my own ride.”

“Good,” he said. “I wasn’t coming to get you. No one was.”

My blood turned to ice as I hung up the phone and sat down on my bed. I paced my floor, deciding what to do. I could go to my dad’s house, but I didn’t really want to see my step mother being so cheery and my dad so lovesick over a woman that wasn’t my mom.

So I did the next best thing. I plopped down on my bed and turned on Captain America. What a wonderful Christmas it was going to be.

For the next two days, the days leading up to Christmas, I basically stayed in my apartment. Alice had gone home to her family and I didn’t bother telling her what had happened. She was up at her cabin where she had no service. I had no one to talk about this with. Usually I’d talk to Pat, but he was mad at me.

I sighed and grabbed my wallet, deciding to walk to the liquor store about a mile out. I was running low anyways and I needed a Christmas gift to perk myself up. Especially since both Viktor and Marcus were mad at me too. For the exact same reason as Pat. Well Marcus strayed a little. He thought I was seeing someone and having a social life. So he hung up on me and turned off his phone.

I returned with not one bottle of wine, but two and a bottle of whiskey, because really. This was a hard liquor situation.

Because I was alone all over again.