Benevolence: My Sister

A Familiar Stranger

Pitch dropped down beside Scien, roughly pushing him out of the way.
“You move!” their mother told him furiously.
Spirit, it’s-
“Not now, Night. Pitch, you are supposed to protect her. You’re supposed to be looking out for her. She’s your little sister and you were negligent,” she reprimanded him, her black eyes ablaze with vexation.
“You know what she means to us!" she shouted. "All of us.”
She turned her attention to her daughter, giving Taya a look over.
"Forgive me," she whispered snatched the three arrows out.
Scien wanted to object but thought better of it.
She smelled one of the arrows and looked at Pitch.
He looked away, “Miasma.”
“What?” Mya asked hysterically.
“It’s a poison especially for people with abilities that temporarily hinders one from using them. It’s also meant to affect any unknown. It’s potentially deadly, a slow killer,” Pitch said softly, eyes closed.
“I’m taking her back with me," Spirit announced picking Taya up.
As she was about to take flight, she noticed Pitch.
“Where are you going?”
“With you.”
“Why? To make sure she’s okay? Too late. You are relieved of duty. You’d better hope she's alright. In the meantime, stay here. Help them clean up this mess. Make yourself useful.”
“Mother, I-
“I don’t want to hear it.”
She looked at him in disappointment then she was gone, panic and haste making her exit invisible.
“What’s going to happen to her?” Mya spoke breaking the silence.
“I don’t know.”
His wings disappeared into his back as he began to gather up loose debris.

Spirit rapidly made her way to the queen. Algen who noticed Taya in her arms, followed.
She stopped before two grand doors, fifty times her height. They were a marble ivory color designed with algen or different age, gender, and appearance; all displaying unique abilities partial to only their kind. There were clouds and stars, animals that were the things of dreams.
Two male algen, both having brown wings, hair, and eyes, stood guard.
“Permit my entrance,” she demanded.
When they glimpsed Taya, they immediately opened the large ivory doors.
At the head of the room, seated on a throne made of the same material as the doors that harbored her, was Queen Livi. When she saw that the lifeless figure her second in command carried was her granddaughter, her green eyes became wide and doubled over with tears.
“What is the meaning of this?”
When she stood, she towered over Spirit by about four or five inches. Her long white gown swept over the floor behind her. Eyes, the exact same as Taya’s, displayed her worry and exposed the crows feet at the corners. Her delicate white wings almost gave off their own light. Her silvery hair fell over her shoulders and hung a little beyond her back. She looked like a goddess and in actuality she was so much more. The wisdom was obvious in her as the presence from years of ruling and years to come was palpable. But right now, her only concern was Amber.
“There was an attack.”
“Where was Pitch?”
“Who knows. I left him in Haria.”
She shook her head and motioned for her daughter to put Taya on an alter-like table to the far left side of her throne.
“Explain this.”
“Keen…”

When Scien found time, he cornered Pitch.
“What’s going on?”
“I do not know of what you speak.”
“Indulge me then. Your mother said ‘what she means to us, all of us’. She wasn’t just talking about everyone here. She meant the algen too, didn’t she?”
He didn’t answer.
“Taya’s more than what she seems, isn’t she? Spirit slipped and tried to cover. She’s something sacred to you all, isn’t she?”
“She is written in a prophecy. Amber is our hoped for.”
“Amber?”
“Her ambition is a fire. This is her destiny. She doesn’t know about the prophecy; doesn’t need to.”
“What if she dies?”
“She mustn’t. She won’t.”
“But-
“She will live. She will be saved but I’m afraid you will never see her again.”
“What?”
After Livi thoroughly inspected Taya, she made a conscience decision.
“There may be a way.”
“Anything to save her.”
“I can speed up her algen growth progress. There’s no telling if she’ll be the Amber we know when she wakes. It may cause an imbalance in her.”
“Save her.”
Livi slowly put her hands on her granddaughter’s chest and stomach. A white glow began to emit from Taya’s body. Livi grit her teeth, putting all of her energy and power into saving one of the loves of her life. Taya began to stir, also gritting her teeth, the imitation of her elder. Sweat dripped from both their faces and the queen began to tire. She stopped soon after. Taking some of her feathers, she spread them over Taya.
“Amber, it is time.”
She kissed Amber’s forehead and the feathers melted into her, overwhelming the miasma.

“When is she coming back?” Mya was asking Pitch.
She’d been following him around repeating the question in hopes that her being bothersome would produce an answer.
“Mya, I’m a very patient individual you're pushing me. I do not know when she'll return. I’m waiting just like you are. Now, please, leave me to my thought.”
She walked away and found Garrett.
“You’ve been quiet.”
She sat across from him in Jonah’s. His arms were on the table and his head down with his hair shading his face.
She touched his arm across the table.
“She’s always been there for me. We’re a team. I always know what injury she can or cannot survive. But three arrows in her chest makes me think that I’ll never see her again.”
“Don’t say that. Taya’s strong. She’s too stubborn to die. She was made to live.”
"I should have been there!" he barked, pounding the table, "She always has everyone's back including mine. There were just so many of them, I couldn't keep track of her. By the time Night called out...I couldn't have made it in time. Saving you was all I could hope for. I should never have left her side."
"You have to have faith. Believe in Taya. She'd never leave her clan behind."
She reached across the table and touched his hand.
He covered her hand with his own. “Thank you.”
“Besides, I don’t know how to explain this but it’s like...I can feel her. She’s not dead. She’s a fighter and that’s what she’s doing; for her life.”
They looked up suddenly, hearing the villagers talking excitedly but couldn’t make out their words. They got up and left the pub with a few others. Everyone was heading in one direction. Garrett and Mya let the crowd steer them toward the commotion.
When they'd met up with the rest of the crowd they pushed their way to the front, she stopped in her tracks. They noticed Scien a few people down to their left.
They all stared goggled eyes at the epitome of ambition. She stood solidly on bare feet; wearing the loose black pants and crisp black shirt belonging to a former Taya and a dark red, leather jerkin. Two leather straps crossed over her chest meaning she still carried her swords. Her green eyes were permanently plashed with amber flecks making them more exotic and hypnotizing than ever. But what really had everyone’s attention were the wings resting on her back. They were folded at her sides, a powerful red matching the color in her heart; the color that was a name for her. The feathers were in awesome detail, every one looking as soft as the last. Collapsed in, they stopped at her ankles, her wing span about the same as Night’s.
“Taya?” Scien’s voice cracked.
“No. This is Amber,” Pitch told them.
“I am to serve you,” Taya exclaimed.
Everyone looked confused.
Taya walked over to Mya, got down on her right knee and unsheathed her swords, placing them at Mya’s feet.
“I am yours to command,” Taya proclaimed.
Mya leaned back, “What?”
“I am your vessel to command.”
Mya looked around, “What?” she repeated, her tone disbelieving.
“I am swearing my allegiance to you. To protect you from those who wish to harm; to assist you in whatever it is you wish me; to carry out your will; to advise you.”
“I don’t want your sworn loyalty. It’s pointless to serve one you dislike.”
“That was before this.” She looked at herself. “I’m not who I used to be. I’ve grown up, in a sense.”
“We need to talk. Alone.”
“Follow me.”
Taya picked up her weapons and led Mya away. The onlookers kept watching as the wings faded into her back, leaving no sign that they existed aside from the slits in the back of her jerkin.
“I’m a valuable person, yet useless.”
“I’ll teach you all you need to know, hand-to-hand combat, swordplay, bow and arrows, how to fight with, catch and throw daggers. Which weapon do you prefer? Axe, spear?”
“Most certainly not an axe. I don’t want anyone getting that close.”
“Bow and arrow it is; maybe some training in throwing daggers. As long as I’m looking after you the most you’ll have to endure is a scratch. Maybe not even that.”
“That’s very reassuring.”
“I have a duty to you. I do not fail.”
Mya saw the fire in her eyes. It made her feel safe.
"I also have something that I need to tell you," Taya confessed.
She looked at Taya expectantly.
"We're sisters."
"What?"
Taya shook her head, smiling at Mya's favorite word.
"Yeah. I didn't like you at first and I never planned to tell you but things are different now. You need me more than ever. And it just seems we'd both benefit and cope better if we accepted our sister. I lied about my father. He died the same way yours did, considering."
Mya smiled.
"You may not have been ashamed of him but I was, am.”
“I don’t understand.”
“I made a fool of myself because I thought he was an honorable man. Because of him I was kicked out of my home.” She began to give off a certain degree of heat. “I told you about his daughter. That was my story.”
“You said she died.”
The heat she gave off became hotter.
“She did. I’m not the happy, carefree Taya I used to be. She’s dead. What was left is what you see before you.”
“What I saw. You’re different today than yesterday, an algen. You also have great blood flowing through you; our father and now your mother and brother, both algen. That’s why you’re immortal. How did she save you?”
The heat ended abruptly.
“She didn’t. Queen Livi did, my grandmother. She’s the first and eldest algen, brilliant in herself, glorious in her own light. Maybe you’ll meet her one day.”
“I’d be honored.”
“Queen to queen.”
“You think I can do it?”
“I know you can.”
Mya looked away in thought.
"You have my apologies. I will take care of you. You will not be harmed."
“I trust you with my life…sister.”
They became quiet, the atmosphere filled by a pleasant silence. Then she remembered her uncle’s body.
"Uncle Luke."
She hurried back to the village where Rye led her to the body. He lay a couple paces from the other village casualties.
“Baba.”
She rubbed her hands together.
“Amber?”
She looked up into the face of her mother.
“It’s too late. He’s been gone far too long. Had he been attended to beforehand there may have been a chance. Besides, you have no training in that method.”
She picked her daughter up and held her while she cried.
“Keen sent Aiden.” Her voice shook.
“Vengeance is not the algen way. You know that.”
“I’m not all algen.”
“Aren’t you?”
She looked at the experience in her mother’s eyes.
“I’ll try to contain it.”
Spirit sighed, “That’s all I ask.”
Taya went to Lady Genna’s home. The older woman opened the door slowly.
“I’m so sorry I let this happen to Violet.” She fell to her knees, crying the the fourth time that night.
Lady Genna picked her up and softly ran her hand over Taya’s cheek.
“You taught her well. She is strong and so is her heart. She is a little you. For that reason I am hopeful. But it is that same reason that makes me uneasy."
“You have my word. I will bring her back to you. Alive and kicking.”
Lady Genna chuckled and hugged her.
“I know you will.”
On her way to Jonah’s, Pitch stopped her. Neither of them spoke. Their stare went on uninterrupted. Then Taya walked over to him and hugged him.
“It’s not your fault. Don’t listen to Momma.”
He hugged her back, “I’m still sorry. I love you so much.”
“And I love you.”
“How is grandmother?”
“I tried to talk to her but I think you’re officially relieved of duty.”
With that, they heard an alarm only heard by algen.
“Right on time.”
He took off leaving her on the ground.
She went to see Night and Rye next.
“Where’s Rye?”
She’s around here somewhere. Well, now. Let’s have a look.
Taya smiled shyly then released them.
Very nice, your color to match your name. The first of your kind.
“A hybrid.”
That what they calling you? What else did they tell you?
“That I should be careful with my power. That it’s grown and I need to get used to it.”
Rye appeared from around a corner.
Truly the promised one.
“What?”
She’s being an idiot as usual. Night shot Rye a look.
So, Amber? How do you like it?
“I love it. Makes me feel closer to Pitch, mother and grandmother .”
Okay, now how you holding up?
Taya thought for a moment. “I’m trying. My mother told me not to be vengeful. I’ve never disobeyed her.”
Vengeance is an emotion, not disobedience.
Rye! I’m not going to disagree with her but I will say among all else, vengeance is controllable.
“Let’s hope I have that kind of control.”
It is attainable by all.
“Thank you.”
Goodnight.
Goodnight.
“Goodnight.”
She pulled her wings into her back as she walked into Jonah’s Spread. The silence that followed was not the same as the one previously. It was filled with hate and the very vengeance that Taya was trying to avoid. Most importantly, it was filled with fear, and resentment.
She looked around and slowly took a seat with Garrett and Mya.
“I’m glad you’re okay,” he said.
“I’m glad you’re okay.”
She offered her hand over the table. He smiled and gave her his hand to do their special shake. Then her friend Dex the blacksmith made his way over to her. He grabbed her up affectionately and squeezed her tightly.
“I’m not breaking them, am I?”
“You can’t," she chuckled.
“The knight looks at you longingly. Is he your lover?”
“No.”
She walked across the room and sat next to him.
“Scien.”
“It's official. You’ve outgrown me.”
She didn't say anything.
“You're not the person who once loved me.”
“I'm not. But you were the only one who selfishly thought of yourself when you saw me.”
“It’s obvious that you’re unharmed.”
“Only because rushing the algen in me saved my life!”
“Jonah! What's with the heat?” a man shouted.
Mya looked at Taya. That had happened earlier out in the forest. Mya made her way to the stairs hoping Taya would follow her.
Taya stood up, “You’re right. I have outgrown you.”
Taya met Mya at the stairs.
“I’m going to turn in, Mya said.”
“Alright.”
Taya followed Mya upstairs.
“That’s better!” the man shouted.
They were getting settled in Taya's room.
“May I ask you a question?” Mya queried.
“Yes.”
“Is your protection-
“Necessary? Yes. They came here for us, for you. People in this village lost family today. They’ll make their problem with the easy target instead of the real one.”
“May I ask a stupid question?”
Taya smiled, “Sure.”
“Are you scared?”
“No. But you are and that's all that matters to me.”
“Because of whom my mother is there’s all this talk of war and bloodshed on my behalf. Am I a coward?”
“No. You are not used to these sorts of things. You’ve become a princess out of nowhere in one day. You were a commoner when the sun rose and royalty when it set.”
“And you’re not scared?”
That stifled a giggle out of Taya. She sat next to Mya.
“No. I was raised by knights and wild animals. Not to mention algen. I learned combat from the Juhai themselves and there are no better teachers of combat than them. I don’t think, I react. We both have our roles to play. You are the heir to the throne and I'm the person who'll get you there.”
Mya nodded her head in understanding. “And my friend?”
“No. I’m your sister. And for some reason, I’m just seeing how much you really need me.”
“My lady knight.”
“I like that one, too. How old are you, princess?”
“I demand you not call me that. I’m sixteen.”
“Well, little princess, you should get some sleep. Training starts at dawn.”
“Training?”