Every Little Thing

Have A Nice Day

I couldn’t sleep a wink last night. I was worried about what to say to Ally. I was worried about how I would apologize; get her to talk to me again. As per usual, I sat in my seat on the bus. My ipod was playing My Chemical Romance’s Dead. Would it be easier if I was just dead? I wasn’t sure what my mum would say if she knew I was thinking like that. I looked down and pressed menu on my ipod. I scrolled through my My Chem play list and selected Desert Song. The slow moving intro hit me hard and I felt tears rising. I looked up and saw that we were turning the corner to Ally’s bus stop. The bus slowed to a halt as usual. She climbed aboard and slowly made her way to the back of the bus. I stopped her.

“Listen Ally,” I started. “I’m sorry.”

She looked at me. I couldn’t decipher her look from either confused, or ignorance for what I just said.

“Please Ally, sit down,” I slid over and made room for her on my seat.

She sat down slowly and carefully and faced me.

“I’m sorry,” I repeated. “For everything; for not being supportive. I didn’t even know you and Max broke up.”

She shook her head. “I broke up with him.”

I nodded. “I know. He told me yesterday.”

“I found someone else. I really like him. He’s such a nice guy.” She told me this, her face beaming at me, her smile was genuine.

I felt jealousy. I looked down and studied my hands. I fiddled with the cord of my ipod headphones.

“That’s good,” I told Ally.

“Yeah,” she nodded. We fell silent.

I turned back to face the front of the bus and stared out the window. The bus turned the corner for school. Ally got up.

“Well, have a nice day Nicky,” she told me, smiling again.

I forced a smile. Have a nice day? Have a nice day? What sort of saying is that to say to a friend? But I guess that meant that I’m not a friend. Not anymore.

“Yeah. You too Ally,” I replied, picking up my bag. I felt a tear trace its way down my face.

Someone grabbed my hand. I looked up and saw that it was Sam.

“I heard what happened,” he said.

“I thought you didn’t want me anymore,” I said to him.

“Not as a girlfriend. But I’m still your friend Nicky. Come on, we better get off,” he said, pulling me gently down the bus.

“Thank you Sam,” I told him.

“For what?" he asked.

“For being a better friend then Ally ever was,” I looked up and smiled at him.

“It’s nothing,” he smiled back.