The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Two: Beautiful

XAVIER


"I hope it was worth it, boys," the principal, Mr. Lopez, said.

Mr. Lopez was a middle-aged man whose hair was thinning, and was on the verge of being fat. He had Hispanic skin, dark hair that was graying, and dark eyes to match. He was a little over six feet tall, but I still managed to be taller than him.

I looked over at Kurt, and could tell that he was thinking the same thing as me. It was so worth it.

So, here's what got us in trouble:

It was lunchtime. While the other seniors were eating and socializing, Kurt and I were preparing for the freshmen in the bathroom. Then we attacked them with water balloons.

"So, what's our punishment this time, Mr. Lopez?" I asked.

"You two will be helping Ms. Charleston with her latest play."

I nodded. Not that bad. Boring, but definitely not the worst punishment I've ever gotten.

"Right now they're hosting auditions. So please be quiet!"

We nodded as we entered the theater. Then I heard the most musical voice in the world. I looked toward the stage, and there she was. My mate. She was maybe a little over five feet with long chocolate brown hair that fell in perfect waves to the middle of her back. She had curves. God, she was curvy. I wanted to run my hand along them. But first, I wanted to see what color her eyes were.

All too soon, her song was done and she disappeared backstage.

No, my wolf howled in agony. Then he startged growling the word mine over and over again.

"Aye, X, you okay?" Kurt asked.

I nodded, and followed them down to the front of the stage where a gray haired woman smiled.

"These are your helpers, Ms. Charleston," Mr. Lopez introduced. Then he left us.

Ms. Charleston had long gray hair that fell down to her waist. She was bony and frail looking. She had sparkling blue eyes, and was dressed in every color of the rainbow. She stood maybe 4'9" in height.

"What are your names, dearies?" She sounded like a cartoon witch.

"My name is Kurt, and this is Xavier," he said.

She nodded. "Well, I'm glad you two volunteered to help since we could really use it."

I opened my mouth to clarify why we were really here, but decided against it.

* * * * * *


"God, did you see her? She was beautiful!"

"Look, man, I'm happy you found your mate and all, but please shut up. I'm trying to win us tickets to Bowling For Soup."

I nodded. I couldn't get her out of my head. She was beautiful, and mine. Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine.

"Ugh," Kurt groaned, "we didn't win."

I secretly wondered whether we would've been able to take my mate. Probably not. "Well, gosh darn it."

He glared. "Dude, I'm not in the mood, Xavier. I just went through an hour with Ms. Charleston, and two hours of you talking about a girl whose name you don't even know. I mean, I know you just found your mate, and I'm happy for you, but you don't know anything about her."

I was aware that I didn't know anything about my mate. That fact made me determined to meet her. She was my mate. I needed her. She needed me.

"I'll know plenty in time," I said stubbornly. "She's probably thinking about me right now."

"Oh. My. Gawd. Becky, did you see that stalker that was staring at you?" Kurt made a girly voice, but went back to normal as he continued, "She probably didn't even see you."

I glared. "Quit pointing out the obvious."

"I will when you start noticing the obvious."

I sighed, rolling my shoulders in a failed attempt of relaxing. "I'm sorry, but she's all I can think about."

"And I'm sorry, too. I guess I'm a little jealous that you found your mate before me."

We looked at each other, laughing away the awkward moment.

"So, you wanna play some Call of Duty?"

I nodded. "'Course."