I Could Use Somebody

Five.

Dally walked into the house with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. "Anyone got a light?"

Two Bit dug into his pocket and handed him a lighter. I made eye contact with Dally for a second but he turned his head the other way. I guess we were back to where we were before.

"You haven't seen Pony, have you Dal?"

"Yeah, I saw him." Soda shot up off of the couch.

"When? Where is he?" Dally flicked the ashes from his cigarette on the floor. "Yesterday at the movies. We all went together."

Soda sat back down. "That's the last time you saw him?"

Dally scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, that's the last time I saw him. Why, what's up?" That was a lie. Whenever Dallas was lying he would scratch the back of his head. Not that I was surprised. I figured he knew something. The door opened again and Steve walked in.

"What are you doing? You aren't even dressed, Soda. Let's go."

Darry walked out of the kitchen and grabbed his keys. "Don't make a mess. I'll be in the car, Steve." Soda ran off into his room and Steve followed Darry outside, leaving me, Two Bit and Dally in the living room.

"Well..." Two Bit slapped his knees, then stood up. "I feel awkward." He slapped Dally on the back then walked out of the house. Soda ran out of his room while putting his shoes on, then left right behind Two Bit.

"I know you know something."

Dally leaned up against the wall. "And what do I know?"

I took my elbow off the couch and faced him. "I don't know, but you know something about Johnny and Pony."

He flicked ashes in my direction, then started walking out the door. "Come on Dallas." I got up and followed him. I guess he was pretending that I wasn't walking behind him. "Tell me." Ignored. "You know where they are, don't you?" Ignored again. I kept asking and he just kept walking. After about two minutes, I took a big step forward and stepped on the back of his shoe. He hated that.

"What the fuck are you doin'? I don't know where they are, stop fuckin' following me. Christ" I nodded my head.

"Yeah, can you say that again?"

He turned around and started walking. "Stop following me."

I kept walking next to him. "No smart ass, the first part."

His arm raised and he scratched the back of his head. "I don't know where they are."

While his arm was raised, I elbowed him. "I knew you were lying!" His arm shot down while his other arm wrapped around and held his side.

"Will you fucking watch it. I got in a fight with Shepard the other night and I cracked a couple ribs." I rubbed his back, then sarcastically said

"Aw, poor baby." He shrugged my hand off of him.

"Jesus Christ, I know where they are. They're fine. Now drop it."

I threw my hands in the air. "Alright, Alright. It's dropped."

"You can stop following me now."

I slid my hand into his back pocket and took the cigarette out of his hand and put it in my mouth, letting it hang from corner of my lips.

"I could but uh, why don't we head on over to the Dingo. I'll buy you a Coke."

He let out a quick sigh then took the cigarette out of my mouth.

"Were you always this fucking annoying?" We started walking towards the Dingo.

"I mean, probably. But you liked me before so you probably didn't notice."

He let out a little laugh. "Since I told you something, you have to tell me somethin'."

I looked up at him. "You didn't tell me anything. You just said that you knew something, you didn't tell me what it was." He got serious.

"Who said I was cheating on you?" I thought about it for a second. "Look Dally, I don't think this is the best time to tell you tha..." Before I could even finish my sentence, two cops had Dallas. I'm sure anyone else would've started panicking, but I was used to Dally getting arrested. I raised my eyebrows. "Call Darry?" He shook his head. "Go to Bucks and get the money from under the bed and come get me by yourself."

I rolled my eyes. "Anything for you, darling."