I Could Use Somebody

Six.

I walked into Buck's and saw him standing at the bar talking to a blonde haired girl.

"I don't know where he...maybe she knows."

He nodded his head at me and the girl turned around. I let out a long sigh.

"Sylvia here is lookin' for Dally. Have ya seen him?"

I hesitated for a second, trying to decide whether or not I wanted to tell them where he was.

"Down at the station."

Buck laughed. "What'd he do now?"

I ignored him and ran upstairs to get the money under the bed. I got it then walked back down stairs.

"Mind if I tag along?" Sylvia asked. I did mind actually.

"Dally told me to get him by my..."

"Of course she doesn't mind!" Buck chimed in.

He knew that I never really liked Sylvia. I started walking towards the door but let Sylvia walk out first.

"Take a picture of Dally's face when he sees the two of you together." He laughed at himself.

"Fuck off, Buck." I slammed the door and heard him yell "I'll remember that next time you come here lookin' for a place to stay!"

I didn't even respond. I literally never went there looking for a place to stay. I tried not to go there at all. It was quiet for the first couple minutes while me and Sylvia were walking, but she finally broke the silence.

"So, me and Dally broke up a couple weeks ago."

I nodded my head and pretended to care. “Yeah, I heard.”

She took out a pack of cigarettes and offered me one. Although I usually don't smoke, I took one. I tried to only smoke every one and a while because I thought it made me look dirty. But next to Sylvia I looked like I just walked out of a mansion on the South side.

“Me and Dally are getting' back together.”

I rolled my eyes. “That's great.”

he rest of the way I listened to her talk about how in love her and Dally were and even though I hated admitting it, it made me jealous. There was a part of me that still loved Dallas. That was another thing I hated to admit. Sylvia's voice kept fading in and out as I tried to ignore her.

"Recently Dally's been getting really mad at me and he's hit me a couple of times."

I don't know why she brought this up, but it pissed me off. I knew for a fact that Dally would never hit a girl. Or Sylvia, who at times made it hard to believe she was a girl. I cursed and drank but Sylvia cursed more than anyone I knew. Except for maybe Dallas. And she smoked like a chimney. It was gross. I decided to ignore her comment about Dally hitting her since I knew it was bullshit and she probably just wanted someone to feel bad for her. We were almost at the station now, thank god. I don't think I could listen to her talk anymore. But unfortunately, she kept talking.

"I don't know why he gets mad at me all of the time."

I rolled my eyes. "Probably because you cheat on him all the time. That would piss me off."

She laughed. "What did you say?" She stopped but I kept walking.

"I know when I love someone, I try to cheat on them as much as possible too." Kind of ironic, because I cheated on Dally before but I was only trying to get back at him.

I was almost through the door when I felt a hand grab my hair and pull me backwards.

"Say that again." Sylvia was an inch away from my face.

Now, I knew Sylvia already had a problem with me. One, because of Dallas. And two, because when her and Dal first started dating, he got arrested. While he was in jail I caught Sylvia flirting with Johnny. I found her at the DX station one day after school, so I told her not to mess with Johnny. We almost got into a fight but Steve was there and he stopped it.

"I actually don't really wanna repeat myself, so if we could just uh, move on." I tried walking away but she pushed me. "I'm not gonna fight you. That's trashy."

Before I knew it, I felt a hand slap me across the face. I don't really know how it happened, but somehow we were both on the ground. Sylvia on top of me, then me on top of Sylvia. I had no intention of hitting her at first, but while we were rolling around on the ground I could hear her voice in my head talking about how much Dally loved her. It pissed me off so I started hitting her. After about five seconds of that I felt a hand on my arm.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I heard Dally yelling.

Sylvia got up and dusted her self off. "She fucking called me trash!" Sylvia took out a cigarette and lit it.

Now I was pissed so I started screaming. "You are trash, Sylvia! You don't deserve Dallas. He's too good for you!"

She laughed. "Yeah and I guess you think you and Dally belong together? You have money. You're from the South side. You're a Soc for fucks sake!"

I walked away once I heard the word Soc come out of her mouth.

"Nicole!" I could hear Dally running behind me so I turned around and took the money out of my pocket.

"Here." I tried handing him the money but he just looked at me and laughed. I shoved the money at his chest then turned around and started walking.

"Hey, I'm sorry alright." He grabbed my arm and turned me around. "I'm sorry." He said again.

"Tell me where Johnny and Pony are." I figured I would try and guilt him into telling me the truth. He lit a cigarette before sitting down on the curb.

"Windrixville."

I sat down next to him. "They killed Bob, huh?"

"Bob? What, you knew the Soc they killed?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Not really."

He nodded. "Anyway, after you freaked out and left they came by Bucks asking me for help. So I told them to go to Windrixville and find this old church way out in the country. They're fine. I'll check on 'em when everything blows over around here."

Before I could even ask him, he answered my question.

"That's why I got hauled in. They thought I killed the Soc."

I scratched my head. "Well, shit." I could feel him looking at me.

"Don't tell Soda or Darry. Or Two Bit. Kid can't keep his mouth shut for more than a minute. Just keep this whole thing to yourself, ya got it? You tell anyone, I'll kill you."

Dally got up and pulled me to my feet and we started walking.

"I didn't know you were still obsessed with me."

I looked up at him. "What?"

He grinned. “You were jealous because I was with Sylvia.”

I shook my head. “You're so fucking full of yourself, Dallas.”

He put his arm around my shoulders and I just let it go. We walked all the way to the Curtis' without saying anything, and I was glad because I was waiting for him to ask me about who said he was cheating on me. We walked into the Curtis' and Soda was sitting at the kitchen table by himself. Just looking at him already made me feel guilty about not telling him that I knew where Pony and Johnny were.