‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Oh my God."

We got through the holidays without anymore fights or drama. Busy was doing a lot better in school; she said the kids were a lot nicer to her. Thora, thank God, never brought up the whole adoption thing. To be honest, I'm sure she doesn't care, or maybe she doesn't remember. I'm just glad that the two of them didn't bring it up.

Aside from all that, Gerard and I were still unlucky in the baby department. I was disappointed by the fact that I didn't get morning sickness or have a feeling. I didn't know what to think about it, I was just terribly sad that I wasn't pregnant.

By February, I had mention adoption to Gerard; away from the girls of course. He didn't look all that entertained by the idea. He looked more so disappointed when I had suggested it.

"Gerard," I had took his hand in mine -we were in the living room, the girls off at school- "I'm not giving up, I'm just suggesting it."

His face smoothed over and he gave a nod, "Can we still try while we go through the waiting?"

I nodded, "Yeah... But what if I get pregnant and we're matched with a baby?"

He chuckled, "I doubt that'll happen."

"It could happen, y'know." I smiled at him.

He smiled right back, "We'll see, sugar."

We continued to try well into the next few months without luck. Gerard was completely hesitant about adopting; he avoided anymore talk about it. I didn't pressure him, mainly because the intimacy between us was frequent and resplendent.

By the time my birthday rolled around, I had that feeling. It was a good feeling, and I felt like my heart would leap out of my chest. I was sure I was pregnant; I tried not to get my hopes up. I didn't want anything to go wrong or for this to belly flop. I went and got myself a test and didn't tell anyone.

Of course, I had a little trouble with trying to keep it quiet. The little trouble was my baby girl, Thora. She followed me everywhere, even when I went into the bathroom. Thora banged on the door, "Mama, what's you doin'?"

I sighed, "I'm using the bathroom, Thora."

"Okay." She hummed and slumped against the door.

I shook my head and laughed, "Thora, go play."

"I wanna wait for you."

"Alright, baby."

I took the test and set it on the sink. I stood away from it, thinking of what to do for 15 minutes. I decided to entertain Thora; I opened the door and she tumbled at my feet. She wasn't hurt, she grinned up at me, "Hi."

I giggled and picked her up, "Hey. You wanna color?"

She nodded, "Yes!"

I carried Thora into the living room and set her on the floor, and then I sat with her. The two of us colored in her coloring book for a while; it was a long time, I barely noticed. Gerard had come home with Busy, carrying in groceries. I had sent them off to do so, but Thora wanted to stay with me.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt Gerard's hand on my back. I looked at him, my eyes widened, "Holy... Crap." I caught myself.

Gerard smiled, leaned down and kissed my lips, "Got lost in coloring?"

I nodded dumbly, "Yeah." I looked around and saw that Thora had gone off with Busy. I exhaled, "When did you guys get back?"

"A few minutes ago." He replied. "You look weird, October. What's up?"

I shook my head, rubbed my eyes and sat up, "I have to check on something."

"On what?" He inquired as we both stood.

"Something." I mumbled; I began to head to the bedroom with Gerard on my tail.

He grabbed me around my waist before I could enter the bathroom, "What is it?" He asked in a teasing manner.

I giggled, holding his hands against my stomach, "It's a surprise."

He laughed, "A surprise? For who?"

"Us, babe." I murmured softly.

Gerard planted me on my feet, and spun me around to face him. His eyes narrowed quizzically, questioningly; "What?" He asked.

I bit at my lip and pointed toward the bathroom; "On the counter."

Gerard smiled and walked around me and into the bathroom. I followed, leaning against the door frame, waiting for Gerard to say something. He picked up the stick, looking it over; "What's the pink plus sign mean?"

My heart jumped into my throat, and tears stung my eyes; "Oh God." I mumbled as I cupped my mouth.

Gerard looked back at me, "Are you, Sugar?"

I nodded vehemently, my heart beating rapidly, "Yes! Yes, we're gonna have a baby!"

Gerard walked over to me and wrapped his arms lovingly around me; "Oh my God." He whispered around my cheek.

I held him close to me, planing soft, loving kisses along his neck. I felt lighter than air and happily in love with Gerard. I squeezed my arms around him, letting the tears fall.

Our little moment was interrupted by feet thumping in and a little voice; "What's goin' on?" Thora asked.

Gerard and I parted, he looked to me, "Do we tell them?"

I shrugged, "I'm not sure."

"You got a secret." Busy stated, "That's not nice to keep a secret from us."

Gerard chuckled, "Okay, we'll tell you." Again, he looked to me for confirmation; I nodded. "Uh, Biz, Thora... We're gonna have a baby."

He said all this like he was ripping off a bandaid. We both looked to the girls and waited for their reactions. Thora smiled and Busy frowned; "Really?!" Thora cried happily, "A real baby? When?"

"Not for a while, baby." I told her. I looked at Busy, "Biz?"

That frowned stayed permanently planted on her face. She blinked, "Why?"

Gerard and I exchanged glances, and he decided to answer, "Because we wanted to. What's wrong?"

Busy sighed, "It's not fair."

I went over to her and knelt beside her, "What isn't fair?"

"I don't want a baby here!" She stomped her foot.

"Why not?" I asked her.

"Because. Because there's no room!"

I smiled, "We'll make room." I kissed her cheek, "And you don't have to worry about anything, Biz. Me and daddy will take care of everything."

Busy just frowned, "You'll only care about the baby."

I tweaked my lips, "No we won't. I promise that we'll pay all our attention on you and Thora. Okay?"

Busy nodded slowly. "When will the baby be here?"

"Not for a long time, Biz."

She smiled, "Good."