‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Tell me what happened."

I could hear Gerard yelling as I held Busy while she cried at the loud angry voices downstairs. It wasn't long that everyone began to shout. I cradled Busy, wanting her calm down and for the shouting to stop.

It was a long 20 minutes with Busy still sobbing, when Gerard came into the room. He looked angry, he face was red and no one was yelling any longer; "We're going to a hotel." Gerard said over Busy's sobs.

Busy stopped after hearing Gerard's voice. She looked at him with big tears rolling down her cheeks. Gerard's eyes softened, "B, I'm sorry." he said quietly.

She just nodded, her arms tightened around me. I patted her back, rubbing it too, to soothe her. 

"I'll get the bags." he exhaled heavily.

I didn't utter a word as Gerard grabbed all of our things and then the way down the stairs. Mikey was waiting by the door, Gerard pushed me forward to go out with Mikey first. Mikey jogged to his car and opened the back door for me; I slipped in with Busy, who was on the verge of sleep again.

•••

Busy was wide awake early the next morning in our hotel room. Was humming and coloring at the small coffee table. Gerard was on his phone with someone, I didn't ask who; he was on the balcony, even with the cold October wind. I sat behind Busy, flipping the channels, trying to amuse myself.

Gerard didn't talk to me about what he shouted at his family. We had gotten to the hotel and got a room; then we went straight and went to bed. I asked for the sleep, I was beyond exhausted; Busy arose early, shaking me and asking for pancakes. We got room service, I fed Busy and myself, then Gerard woke up and didn't talk at all. I was a little scared about probing him.

A while later, with Busy still coloring, Gerard came in from the balcony. I looked at him, moving the ends of my lips up to smile. He gave a heavy exhale; "Mikey's comin', we're gonna go visit Frank."

Busy looked up at Gerard, "Uncle Frankie?"

Gerard smiled at her and nodded, "Yep."

"I brings my colors?"

Gerard nodded again, "You can bring your colors, B."

"Are we gonna see granma again?" Busy asked next.

Gerard took in a sharp breath, "Not today, B."

She gave a small nod and returned to her coloring book. Gerard came over and sat beside me, his arm wrapped around my torso, "I'm sorry." he said into my ear softly.

I put my hand to his cheek, "It's fine." I whispered back.

He kissed my lips quickly, "I'll talk to you about it when B is with Frank."

I nodded, "Okay."

He kissed my temple this time and hugged me. I could feel the weight on his shoulders. I felt terrible for my husband; the heavy burden on his shoulders was more than he could handle.

•••

Frank offered us the guest room in his duplex; we refused, because it was cramped enough with Frank and his dogs, and his on and off again girlfriend Julie. They were off now.

Busy loved it, she loved the dogs and running with them in his small backyard. He had, in total, 5 dogs, all of different breeds. They were rough looking, but they were gentle and loved to be petted. Busy fell in love with them.

I watched her and Frank play out in the backyard; the rain let up, but Busy was still bundled up. Frank kept a close eye on her, watching for puddles.

Mikey and Gerard were talking in the hall, I waited to talk to Gerard myself. "I'm gone," Mikey said to me, his voice was heavy with frustration.

"I'll see you, Mikey."

He exhaled, "Tell Biz I said bye."

I gave a small smile, "I will."

He left a minute later; Gerard came over to me and took hold of me again. I felt the tension still, "Just talk to me." I coaxed bluntly, "Tell me what happened."

Gerard swallowed thickly, "I shouted at my dad about him never coming near Busy; he and my mom yelled back and then Mikey was trying to make me calm down." the anger grew in his voice,  he even let me go, "They were taking his side, October. They got the wool over their eyes! He says he's changed, but he ain't no different than before."

The anger subsided, tears were forming now and his voice was tight by the end. I wrapped my arms around him, "You don't have to see him again if you don't want to."

His arms wrapped around my lower back, "Mikey saw him beat me, October. He doesn't understand I went through all that shit. He doesn't understand that I can't forgive my dad for what he did to me."

I squeezed my arms around him, to shut away the sadness. My heart was thudding against my ribs, feeling the anxiety and sadness take over. I felt as if something terrible was going to happen, and I don't know why. All I wanted to do was get Gerard to stop crying and to feel better. Even so, I didn't want the anger to build up inside.

"Gerard, I love you," I told him with conviction, "I love you so goddamn much, you don't have to worry about him anymore. You don't want Busy around him, we won't let her be around him."

All he could do was choke back a sob and nod his head. I kissed the side of his neck, the heat warmed my lips. I wanted him to be calm, to relax.

It took several minutes, but he finally stopped crying and he exhaled a deep breath. His arms dropped and I slowly did the same, but I put my hands to cradle his jaw. I looked at his red, puffy tear stained cheeks and kissed his lips, "Do you feel better?"

He put his hands firmly on my hips, "Yeah."

"You sure? You don't have to hold back anymore."

He pecked my forehead, "I'm okay now."