Status: Whisper words of wisdom, Let it be. (:

Left Behind

We Never Get This Lucky!

“Come on,” Lucy said beckoning me towards her as she hid behind the alley wall. “I’ve done it a billion times,” she whispered.

“I’m not comfortable with this!” I whispered back a little loudly.

“Shut up, Carter. You know the plan. When he passes you distract him and I snatch the wallet from his back pocket. Then we run opposite ways in a huge circle and meet back here. Got it?”

My heart pounded extremely fast because this isn’t something that I usually did. “Fine. But if we get caught, I had nothing to do with this,” I said frowning.

Lucy kept watch out for the man that she saw earlier with his wallet hanging out of his back pocket. Sometimes I wondered how people could be so clueless. When he finally caught her eyes she held up her hands behind her back, for me to see, and counted to three. She stayed behind the wall as I walked up to the man to distract him.

“Hello, how are you doing?” I asked walking backwards as he looked at me disgustingly.
He blurted, “I don’t have any money to give you kid. Sorry.”

“Oh I’m not asking for money. I just needed someone to talk to.”

“Well hi, but I’ve got to get somewhere.” He was obviously just trying to get away from me. He didn’t look dressed to go to anything important, plus we had seen him roaming around earlier drinking a cappuccino from Starbucks.

“Really? I could’ve sworn I saw you walking around here thirty minutes ago.” He didn’t reply, but just kept walking. Meanwhile, I saw Lucy walking behind him like just another person headed to a business meeting. The only thing wrong was her appearance. She followed his exact footsteps and acted like she was exploring the great City of New Orleans.

“Kid, could you please just leave me alone?” When he said that Lucy gave a nod. I patted the guy on the back as she snatched his wallet at the exact time, me causing the perfect distraction.

“Yes, sir, you have a great day now, ya hear?” I laughed and started running down the sidewalk as Lucy ran in the opposite direction. A couple seconds down the road I heard the man yelling something like “You dirty mongrels bring me back my wallet!” I must admit I felt really guilty, but we had to survive too.

***

I watched as Lucy looked through the man’s wallet. “…Wow. His name’s Patrick Kelley.” She looked through the other slots and found a couple of family pictures. “This is cute. He has a family,” she said tracing the picture with her dirty finger. I knew that she was thinking that she wished she had one too.

“Let me see.” She handed me the picture and continued her wallet search. It looked like the man had a very happy family. There was a little girl, around five, and an older boy, around my age. The man was standing next to, who I assume to be, his wife in front of a house that was three times the average size of a normal home. His family looked genuinely happy… and rich.

That picture brought back plenty memories. Memories of the happy times I shared with my family, even though we didn’t have much money to waste, memories of the holidays, birthdays, and freedays that we celebrated together.

But there was something about the boy in the picture that I couldn’t place a memory too. He looked extremely familiar, but I didn’t know where I could have possibly known him from. I stared at the picture with all focus until Lucy snapped me out of it. “Oh my god,” she said. “This man is stackin’.”

“What?”

“He has a lot of money, Car. With this we can buy you some shoes and like an outfit or something for school. Get you some socks without massive holes in them.”

My grungy hands came in contact with my hair and moved it from my face. “I… Luce, something’s telling me to find the guy and give it back,” I replied.

“Are you crazy? We never get this lucky. You’d have to be an idiot to bring this back. Plus you’re just having new thief syndrome,” she said counting through the money bills in her hands.

“But I-”

“Just stop Carter, damn. Tomorrow we’re going to the thrift store or something and finding you some old tennis shoes and a cheap outfit. We deserve the money.”

“And you?”

“Carter, I’m not going back. It’s not my thing. But I agree you should go back. Fulfill your life dreams and become a doctor,” she said parading her arms in the air.

“Lawyer,” I managed. “I'm gonna be a lawyer.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty much a filler, because the next two should be better! Already have my ideas. (: