Status: officially begun(:

Chasing Cars

just run with me

“Ashley, why are we here?” My voice was small as I eyed my older sister, shifting uncomfortably as I watched the cars speeding past.

“C’mon, Carls.” She grinned that slightly maniacal grin of hers. “You’re not scared are you?”

“No!” I responded hotly, my 12-year-old rebellious nature taking over at her taunting tone. Her green eyes glinted with an emotion I was still too young to understand.

“Well, step on up then. Give it a try.”

I stared at her, refusing to back down under her challenging smirk. With a deep breath, I pushed my way past her. My bare toes clenched and unclenched the edge of the curb. I bit my lip and glanced back at Ashley warily. Her expression didn’t change, she simply cocked an eyebrow. I gulped and turned my gaze back to the speeding cars, squaring my shoulders in determination. My right foot slowly moved off of the sidewalk and onto the rough asphalt, my left following soon after. Suddenly a car appeared, headlights temporarily blinding me, the sound of a horn breaking the stillness of the night. A scream tore its way out of my lips as I jumped back, narrowly avoiding being hit. Ashley’s airy laughter came from behind me, her hand landing on my shoulder, causing me to jump again.

“Chill little sis.” She practically purred in my ear. “I’m not gonna make you run on your first night. You’re not ready for that yet.”

I simply nodded, allowing her to lead me back to the curb. A shuddering breath made its way out of my lungs as I sat down with shaky limbs. Ash chuckled lowly. I slumped onto my knees, resting my head on my folded arms and looking up at her. The street lamp framed her silhouette perfectly, casting an almost ethereal glow behind her. The front of her body was completely hidden by the shadow cast upon it. When she spoke it was as if her voice was coming from everywhere and nowhere.

“Watch how a pro does it.”

I immediately jumped to my feet to stop her, but before I could even make a sound she was gone, flitting across the street, her dress flashing white in the lights. Honking horns exploded in the night, shattering the silence. But I wasn’t paying attention to that. I was too focused on Ashley. Her body seemed almost inhuman. She twisted around the cars with such ease and grace, waiting until the very last second to dance out of the way. I was completely mesmerized. I wouldn’t even allow myself to blink just in case I missed a second of her run. It was just a short few minutes later that she was standing in front of me once more, cheeks flushed and eyes shining brightly. Her laugh echoed in the warm night air that had become quiet again due to the absence of horns. She pulled me to my feet, wrapping her arm around my thin shoulders and squeezing gently. Neither one of us spoke, simply soaking in the moment as we stared at the glowing traffic.

“I want to do that.” I finally said, looking up at her with respect and determination. Her tinkling laugh reverberated against my smaller frame.

“One day, babygirl.” Her eyes connected with mine. “Like I said, you’re not ready yet. You’ve gotta learn first. There’s a special way to go about this sort of thing after all. But one day, I’ll let you run with me. I promise.” She held her pinky out to me and I twisted mine with it at once. She pressed a soft kiss to my temple. “Let’s go. Mom is probably wondering where we are.”

Reluctantly, I allowed her to turn me around. With one last glance back at the street, we began to slowly make our way home.


It was that night, at the tender age of just 12 years old, that I fell in love for the first time. In love with the danger. In love with the rush. In love with the run.
♠ ♠ ♠
BOOM.
I love this chapter. I wish it was longer. :/ School ends in 10 days which means frequent updates are coming soon. Prepare yourselves ;)

Thank you to all of my wonderful commenters!:
lovelyhope (I honestly don't either but I'm psyched to find out! haha)
useyourtelescope
JenniferC1994
(I'm ridiculously flattered by the fact that you fangirled. <3)
W!ldFire
randomrebel
and
newyork_xo
You guys are just the best. I love you like Tenzin loves Pema. (seriously the greatest OTP of LOK to ever exist ever.)

Ashley Lynn Best