Status: officially begun(:

Chasing Cars

the paper cuts, the cheating lovers

“Carly is coming out with me tonight.” My mom gazed at my sister over the top of her newspaper. I stood at her side, bouncing up and down with anticipation and nervousness. My mom’s eyes stopped on me for one split second before zeroing in on Ashley again.

“Carly is twelve.”

“Age is just a number, Ma.” Ash sneered, that malicious glint making one of its common appearances in her emerald eyes. My mom sighed.

“That was unnecessary, Ashley Lynn.”

“So was your response. I wasn’t asking a question, I was stating a fact. I’d absolutely love to see you try and stop me though.”

My mom took a deep breath, staring my sister down. Ash just smirked back at her. It was obvious she was in one of her moods again. A year or so ago, Mom would have fought back and Ashley would have probably ended up hitting something or someone or throwing furniture or hurting herself or threatening to run away forever or any other number of things. But Mom had given up and Ashley had seemed to get at least a little bit better if she was just left to do as she pleased. So, Mom let out her breath in a huge gust and turned her attention to me.

“Be back by 10:30. You have school tomorrow morning.” Ash snorted.

“We’ll be back when we’re back.”

“I’m serious, Ashley. Just because you’ve given up on your education doesn’t mean your sister has to.”

“Maybe if you weren’t such a cradle robbing whore –”

“Ashley Lynn you shut your mouth right now!”

My mom leapt from her seat and stalked over to us. I glanced back and forth between her and my sister, clinging to Ashley’s hand. Tension crackled in the minuscule amount of space between them as they stared each other down. Ashley's mouth twisted into a dark smirk, the flames in her eyes growing larger with each passing second. They didn't speak, and I could tell it was only because Ash was challenging our mother. She was daring her to try and speak just so that she could rip her to shreds the moment the words left her mouth. A family battle was not what I wanted to see.

“Ash, stop. Let’s just go. Please, can we just go?” I pleaded, tugging on her arm. She looked down at me and cooed sweetly.

“Of course we can, Carlyboo.”

And just like that the switch was flipped. All of her anger and hate just vanished when she spoke to me. I let out the breath I had been holding, relief washing over me. We left my mom behind, Ashley sending a quick glare over her shoulder as she ushered me out the front door. But the malice was, once again, gone when her eyes met mine. In fact, there was nothing but love.

“Can we go running?” I begged. Ash let out a peal of sparkling laughter.

“Sure thing lil sis.” I whooped and began walking faster. “You’re not ready to run just yet though, Carly. I told you that last week.”

“I know.” I sighed dejectedly. “But I still wanna watch you.”

“Promise you’ll stay with me? You won’t go wandering off alone?”

“I’ll stay with you forever, Ash.” I told her reverently.

She grinned, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and kissing the top of my head. The rest of our walk was silent. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath of the dry Arizona air. When I opened them, Ashley was staring down at me. We had arrived at our usual street.

“I love you, Carly.”

“I love you too, Ash.” I wrapped my arms around her thin waist for a few moments before letting her go. She took a step forward, turning around to smile at me before her foot left the sidewalk and the run began.

I used to wish that my mom had left too. All I wanted was Ashley. All I needed was Ashley. Together, the two of us could do anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
These chapters are my favorite ones to write for some reason. I'm so excited about where this story is going(:

Thank you to the following lovely, lovely commenters!:
useyourtelescope
kierstlovesyou
newyork_xo
(post it post it post it!!!!!) and
lovelyhope
You're all just the most fantastic little songbirds. I love you to the stars and beyond. <3