Almost Easy

Chapter One

I stared at my new home; it was a lovely beach house in the town of Huntington Beach, California. My family moved all the way from Australia after my father got transferred for his work. This meant I could start afresh, and be rid of the horrible names I had been called at my previous school. I brushed my fringe out of my eye as I picked up my suitcase and guitar case, containing the last of my belongings and began to wheel it up the driveway.

“Brian, could you please help her with that,” a tall, lean woman in her 40’s said kindly. Standing beside her was a boy my age, with shoulder length hair which was kept down by tightly wound bandana and a cap. As well as black eyeliner around his eyes, and had some stenciling peaking out from underneath his Metallica tee-shirt, and his face contained a look of disinterest. “Hi I am Lindsey Haner, we live next door. This is my son Brian, Brain are you going to help her with her things?”

He rolled his eyes at his mother then quickly glanced at me, and his face seemed to soften slightly. He looked down at my guitar and smiled, and picked it up with ease along with my suitcase and reeled it inside. I followed closely behind him.

I knew we would be good friends, as I too was wearing a Metallica tank top, with a pair of straight legs and converses. I had long black hair that had streaks of crimson red, and had a nose, and several ear piercings. I too had some stenciling, only minor though. It was a bat on my left wrist, which I got when I joined my first band.

His mother came inside and said hello to my parents, and explained how I was welcome anytime at there place if both of them where late from work. I knew for a fact that they would take her up on her offer. See my mother is a nurse, and often works night shifts, and my father often stays late at the office to finish up important stuff. I looked over to Brian, who was texting on his phone.

Great a guy who actually shares the same interest in my music and he wants nothing to do with me. I decided I would take my guitar upstairs to my room. I picked up the case and walked up the stairs and got a first glimpse at my room. Pink! My walls were Pink! My least favorite color of all, I went over to the box labeled posters and opened it up. In less then 5 minutes I had covered the majority of one wall in posters and decided to just live with it.

“Hey what you up to?” said Brian, who was leaning on the door.

“Nothing much, just trying to dull the pinkness,” I said not looking at him. I pulled out my thick black curtain that my best friend had mad me back home and hung it on the window. I glimpsed briefly outside and noticed a big oak tree and another window across from it.

“Oh, what you’re going to block my view!” Brian said in a seductively mocking tone, which in turn caused me to laugh. “So you play guitar…any good?” he asked curiously

“Well I was in a band back home, and we were in this thing called battle of the bands and we came first in the state,” I said smiling reminiscing back on the good times.

“Doesn’t mean your good personally, just meant you guys had your shit together and played tight. Plus you could have had a bias audience,” this statement took me aback; I never looked at it that way. My stunned looked on my face had obviously caught his eye and a slight smirk appeared on his face. “Play us a song... sorry I didn’t quite catch your name down there.”

I blushed; I realized I hadn’t told him my name. I was quite embarrassed by it, it sounded so fake, not to mention weird. “I’m Elora Danan, what was your name again?” I said pretending I didn’t know.

“Brian Haner Jr. but my friends call me Syn, or Synyster," he said looking down at his fingers pretending to look cool.

“Synyster? That’s an odd nickname.”

“Stage name actually, its Synyster Gates in full. My band is pretty big around here,” he said sounding up himself.

“Yeah…but it doesn’t mean your good, people could just like you cause your hot,” I said in retaliation

“So you admit it, you think I am hot,” he said in triumph. Damn I hated how he smirked at my flaws.

“Brian! We better leave and let the Danan’s get there rest,” yelled his mother from downstairs

“Yeah will be right down…” he yelled back, “Pft mothers, anyways I guess I will see you around,” he said walking up to me and kissing me on the cheek then turned around and walked out of the room. As soon as he left the room I sat hastily on my bed and began to contemplate the past 30minutes. I decided to get my clothes organized for school the next day; mum had rang ahead and organized all the education requirements etcetera so I could start straight away. However instead the jet lag and exhaustion of moving had caught up, and I was drifting swiftly into dreamland.