Almost Easy

Chapter Two

I woke up the next morning at around 7:30am, to the noise of loud music blaring from across the way. I opened my curtain, and tried to see who was playing music so early in the morning. I saw a glimpse of skin, and my cheeks turned crimson after realizing it was in fact Brian in just a towel. I quickly shut the curtain and headed into my bathroom to get ready.

15 minutes later I appeared out of the bathroom donned in black tights, a plaid skirt, and a white black tank top, as well as wearing some red and black lined sleeves. I pulled on my converse low tops and walked down the stairs with my tote bag slung over my shoulders. I decided I would walk to school, and check out the neighbor hood.

It was another hot day, perfect beach weather, and even the waves enticed me. Why did I have to sell my surfboard to my friend back in Australia? I walked down our street and walked past a park, then I realized I had know idea where the school was. “Fuck,” I was lost. I fumbled around my bag to find my phone, but know luck. I had left it on the charger back on my desk.

“Hey…are you lost?” said a guy with piecing green eyes and pitch black hair. He had snake bit piercings on his lips as well as a heavily tattooed arms.

“Yeah, actually I was looking for the school,” I said shyly

“Australian accent hey, you must be the chick living next door to Brian,” he said and I nodded “Hi, I’m Zach Baker, I’m Brian’s friend, and fellow band member,” he said reaching out his hand. I took it hesitantly and shook it.

“Now, for school, I was on my way to Brian’s place, he usually takes me, and I am sure he will take you,” he said smiling. What was that suppose to mean, ‘I’m sure he will take you’. I looked at Zach, he did not exactly dress the way I thought west coast American guys, would. I mean in Australia we are told of hot buff surfer guys, who look like models and wore nothing but the latest fashions. Zach was average weight slightly taller than me and wore an old Jack Daniels top with some jeans that if they could talk could tell you hundreds of adventures. There was something about Zach and Brian that made me have a glimmer of hope in the new town, a town that was shaping up to be a non-conformist town.

We began walking back up the street I just came down. It turns out Zach’s house was just opposite the park, it was a large beach house similar to mine and Brian’s, I later learnt that back in the early 90’s it was a housing development. His house was approximately 500m away from Brian’s and my house, but the walk was not easy. From my way, you have to climb this huge hill to get to the park, but I had a feeling I would not be walking to Zach’s house often. We finally reached Brian’s house, which had a bright blue door. We walked up the cemented driveway, where Zach funnily tuned doorbell.

“Hey Vengeance, took your time getting here now we’ll be late…” said Brian a few minutes later whilst picking up a giant black folder and backpack from near the door. He was again wearing a bandana and cap, as well as eyeliner. He was wearing just a black singlet top that showed off his tattoos and jeans that like Zach has looked like they have been through a lot. “Why’d you bring her?” he ask when he finally noticed me standing behind him, trying not to look annoyed. However, as a child, I learnt fast how to read faces, years of mocking and jokes made me very cautious.

“She was lost Syn,” said Zach trying to reason with Brian, however Brian still looked unconvinced, he softened his voice and said “besides man she is hot, wouldn’t you want to tap that!” he said smiling.

“Hey! I heard that!” I said jumping on to Zach’s back and pretended to choke him. I did not know what had gotten into me; maybe it was the fact that Zach was wearing a Jack Daniels tee that made me trust him.

“Whoa, okay lets calm down here before Zacky gets a boner,” said Brian walking to the car and getting in. Zach’s face turned pink as he ran to the car, causing me to fall off simultaneously. “You coming El?”

“El? Is that my new nickname?” I said getting up and walking to the passenger seat.

“Yeah sure is,” he said turning on the car and pulling out of the driveway. His car was not exactly flash, but the cut up leather seats and the whole guy smell of the car seemed to suit him.

“Thanks for the ride Brian,” I said getting out of the car and walking hastily towards the Admin building, when we finally rolled into the parking lot. I had never been gladder to get out of a car in my life. From that moment on, I vowed never to be in the same car as Zacky Baker.

Once inside I filled out a few forums and introduced to Michelle, who would be my tour guide and so called mentor for my first week. Michelle was a little shorter than me, but from what she was wearing I could tell we would fall into different cliques. She wore a Baby Doll pink dress, with stockings and high heels, and her hair and makeup was flawless. She took me to my first class and said she would meet me back here after it finished, but I did not keep my hopes up. Inside I saw Brian, Zacky as well as three similarly dressed guys beside them. I sat down the back away from them and got out my things. I hate making new friends, I thought silently to myself.

The first class went quickly and I rushed out the door, hoping the guys would not see me. I do not know why I was so scared to mix with them, I just wanted to get through school so I could go back home to Australia and be with my friends. I had so much to catch up on, and I was planning on getting out and getting to my next class before running into Michelle. I got out the door and ran right into Michelle…and Michelle wait there were two of them? They both laughed at my expression

“Were twins, that’s my sister Val.” She said pointing to the girl who was wearing similar clothes to me, “She’s like you,” she said in disgust. How would she know anything about me the dumb bitch?

“Hey nice skirt, where’d you get it from?” she said looking at it, it was crimson red and black, my favourite skirt I owned.
“A place back in Australia called Utopia Records.” I said proudly, I loved nothing more than having unique clothes I knew no one else had

“Oh damn,” she said, and turned her attention to the guys who came out of the room.

“Hey Val baby, who’s your friend?” asked a guy who began by hugging Val. He had aviator glasses and a tight white tee shirt showing his muscles and his tattoos.

“She is Elora Danan, I’m mentoring her,” said Michelle smiling.

“Yeah, she’s Brian’s neighbour,” said Zacky smiling

“Really? You never told me that baby, “she said kissing Brian on the lips as he walked out of the room. I was quite taken aback, how a cool rocker like Brian could be going out with a snob like her!

“Hey, so like are you like, cool to find your way now?” said Michelle dumbly

“Yeah…” I said lying

“Awesome, Brian baby I’ll see you this arvo ok babe,” she said walking off and joining a group of girls all donned in Pinks, who all looked identical and flawless.

“Don’t worry about her she’s a bitch, I’ll look after you,” said Val grabbing my timetable. “Awesome you have the same classes as me. See ya at lunch guys.”

Three weeks had past and me and Val had become good friends. I later met and became friends with ‘the guys’, they were Matt, Jimmy and Johnny. They all were in a band called Avenged Sevenfold, and had gathered quite a following around Huntington Beach. I had grown quite a liking towards Brian, which Val had noticed immediately. She told me there was quite a rift between herself and her sister, and thought I was a much suitable girlfriend for Brian then Michelle. Her reasoning was the Michelle did not understand the fine art of music, and touring.

I had formed a band with a few people in my grade. There was Mike O’Neil on drums, Amy String on bass, Jason Cord on Lead guitar, and myself on vocals and rhythm guitar. We were stuck in our garage phase, but one day we would break out. I was walking home one day when I heard footsteps rapidly coming up behind me.

“Hey El wait up!” there only was one person who called me that, and that was Brian…the same Brian who was in love and dating Michelle.

“Hey Brian, what do you want?” I said, trying to look into his eyes because I knew I would instantly lose my cool.

“Err, want to come to the beach this afternoon?”

“R-really?” I said in shock.

‘Yeah, rumour has it you’re a pretty good surfer so I wanted to check you out!”

“ I don’t even own a surfboard…” I said regrettably. How was I supposed to know I was moving to “Surf City”

“You can borrow my brothers?” He said grabbing my wrist and dragging me the 250metres remaining to my house. “You get you swimmers on and I’ll meet you here in 5 minutes."

I ran up to my room and quickly put on my black Roxy Bikini and put on some shorts and thongs, as well as pulling my hair back into a ponytail and pulled out my black Havaianas and went downstairs to meet Brian. I was so excited that Brian wanted to spend time with me. I opened my door and there was Brian, sitting on the hood of his car with the surfboard attached to the roof.

“Why are we driving the beach is just down the road,” I said laughing at his laziness.

“Cause my dear friend we are taking you somewhere special,” he said and I got in the car.

10 minutes later, we arrived at a secluded beach and there were several vehicles parked along the road. I recognized one instantly, it was Val’s, great so we were not going to be alone.

We got our stuff including the surfboard and walked down to the beach where there was a campfire set up and three tubs full of ice and beer. I sat down next to Val, as the guys went for a walk down the beach to smoke a joint between them. She looked over and saw my long face.

“What’s up love?” she said passing me a beer, which I eagerly took and downed half the bottle before answering.

“Nothing… just it’s been a tough day that’s all.”

Half an hour later, the boys were back and settled next to the respected girlfriends.

“Mind if I steal Val from you love?” said Matt putting his arm around her, his eyes where dilated and you could tell he was high.

“Go ahead,” I said, trying not to show the pain of loneliness and heartache when I saw Michelle run down from the road and jump onto Brian. By now, it was almost 8 o’clock and the sun was setting over the horizon. I walked down to the water’s edge so my feet were lapped by the waves.

I felt a hot tear roll down my face, as I realized how much I missed home. I decided I would go home; I obviously was not fitting in here. I walked up to the campfire where mostly everyone was drunk and Zack was playing around on Brian’s guitar. I picked up my tote bag with my belongings in it and began to walk up the embankment. I could still see the lights of Huntington Beach so I began walking down the road into the darkness.

~ Brian’s Point of View ~

“Hey Michelle, doing anything this afternoon?” I asked my girlfriend as she sat on my lap during lunch, I tried my hardest not to look over at Elora with her friends and new band members. She looked so beautiful today though, and she didn’t have to pack on the makeup like Michelle.

“Yeah baby, I have a spa appointment this afternoon why hun.”

“Oh cause me and the guys and their girlfriends where going to head to Sunset Head and have a campfire,” I said and tuned out, she was annoying me lately, the only thing that was good was the sex. Now do not think I am shallow I am very not, just she has become a real Barbie since she got into the Cheer Squad.

After school, I made my way to Elora’s locker but she had already left. I made a sprint down the road to the way she normally walked home. I saw her walking alone as usual. I just wanted to go up and hold her, tell her that even though she misses home things will work out great. I invited her to the beach with us, and to my joy, she accepted my request. When we got to her house I ran inside and quickly got on my board shorts and snuck into my little brothers room and got his surfboard, and took it to my car and strapped it on the roof. 10 minutes later she finally came out of the house looking stunning as usual, her breasts filled out the bikini just right, and her curvy waist made her look human.

We got to the beach and the boys and I went for a smoke, however Jimmy brought some pot along which we each had a puff of. I got back and the guys headed to their girlfriends for some love, and I was on my way to Elora to get to know her more when I heard an ear piercing voice. It was Michelle, she had decided to come. I saw Elora get up and head to the beach and she stood there staring. I ignored rude comments from Michelle, and kept downing beers. I cannot believe Michelle did this, now Elora will hate me forever. It was an hour or so later, and Elora came up said a quite goodbye and headed up to the road. I waited a few minutes and told Michelle I had to pee, so went over to the bushes then up to the road. However, Elora was know were in sight, ‘how could I do this to her’ I thought to myself before returning to the fire, and huddled up next to Michelle.